MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

3 edits

R2

MVM

HDMI to RCA??

Very ignorant question... Sorry...

OK, I cannot the first person to get frustrated by this. I have two related problems:

1) New DVD / blue ray player and old TV
2) New DVD / blue ray player and old Sound System...

As you know, almost all new DVD players are small, thin -- and have ONLY an HDMI output. That is great - if you have a new TV...

I have an older TV in one room, and in another I have an older stereo sound system. Can I use an HDMI to RCA cable, and will this solve my problem?? I initially had a hard time finding them, but is this what I need?

»www.amazon.com/Gold-Hdtv ··· rca+hdtv

I wish it didn't have the extra blue computer VGA connector as well, but I guess that will work??

Thanks!

OK, to expand the revelation of my ignorance, why would this cable have 5 RCA outputs??? Thanks...

»www.amazon.com/eForCity- ··· _cp_pc_3

OK, now I am more confused!! There is info on the web saying that these cords do NOT work!! Apparently I need to "down-convert" from HDMI to RCA but "finding a device to perform this task is difficult."

That means something like this:
»www.amazon.com/Sabrent-C ··· onverter

Ugh... anyone know about this stuff???

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Those cords will only work with certain devices, as you have found out.

You would need an active downconverter, such as an Atlona HDMI to Composite / SVideo converter. »www.markertek.com/Video- ··· 30.xhtml

Runs around $350. For the cost of what you're trying to do, it may be time for a new TV. We've gotten some 32" off-brand at WalMart for $199 that have a decent picture.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to R2

MVM

to R2
The main issue you're going to have is copy protection. Bluray needs a secure connection from the disk to the display and you won't be able to do that, since HDMI is digital and RCA is analog (and won't pass the security requirements). As Jahntassa See Profile suggested getting a new television will probably be your best bet.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to R2

Premium Member

to R2
With the planned analog sunset, you're better off getting yourself a new tv with HDMI inputs. Don't waste your money/effort on adapters are are already moving towards obsolescence due to copy protection schemes.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I love it... Ok, thanks to you all.

Used TV anyone?

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie to R2

to R2

(topic move) HDMI to RCA??

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »HDMI to RCA??

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Re: HDMI to RCA??

Sorry, one more question...

Specifically - what about the stereo system? Can I take the HDMI output from the BlueRay player and stick it into some "box" that can split the sound off of the HDMI feed??

Then I could route the sound via old fashion RCA connectors to the old stereo, and route the digital video output to the Hi Def TV through an HDMI cable.

Is that possible, or am I screwed with the old stereo receiver?? Thanks.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by R2:

Sorry, one more question...

Specifically - what about the stereo system? Can I take the HDMI output from the BlueRay player and stick it into some "box" that can split the sound off of the HDMI feed??

Then I could route the sound via old fashion RCA connectors to the old stereo, and route the digital video output to the Hi Def TV through an HDMI cable.

Is that possible, or am I screwed with the old stereo receiver?? Thanks.

There are some adapters available to do this, though some new TVs will have a pair of audio RCA outputs that you can feed into an older receiver.
»www.gefen.com/kvm/dprodu ··· _id=9164
»www.fullcompass.com/prod ··· 872.html

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thanks for the information and the links. At a minimum of $150 to do this, it is probably time to buy a new receiver too! That would probably be a better use of the money.... Clearly HDMI is best used with all HDMI compliant devices. Trying to back adapt to older stuff is likely not worth the cost and effort.

Thanks to all.