uniqs

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

[WIN7] Old win 7 updates suddenly appear

Since installing this copy of WIn7 pro 64 bit a couple of months ago I've gone through a number of updates to where there were none left. At least I thought so. Now, Monday I got a flag saying there were updates. These are several years old. Is this common? I've never seen it happen before.

1) Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-069 - Critical

Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (955218) Published: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 | Updated: Tuesday, July 12, 2011

2) Description of an update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
Article ID: 973688 from 2009

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I've seen it quite a bit, not sure whether it is the updates source database corrupted when Microsoft does a look up, whether a new software creates the need for an update or something else.

I've posted in a few monthly security updates posts in the security forum of the phenomenon.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Thanks Norweigian. Good to know it's nothing new. I'll proceed with the updates
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Sometimes installing other programs will trigger old updates. I often see old updates become available for Visual Basic, C++ or a specific version of .NET because an app I recently installed also installed runtime libraries for one of those. Windows sees that the libraries are outdated and offers updates for them.

Perhaps you had just installed an app that depends heavily on XML when those updates appeared? Just a thought....

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
I've seen this happen to me as well I always wondered why this happened.
Subaru

Subaru to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
I've seen this happen to me as well I always wondered why this happened.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
I had this exact same update pop up yesterday. I thought it was perhaps in response to a few SAP applications I recently installed, but perhaps it was not (unless you also installed an SAP application).