[XPPro] Phantome Drive Q:

Click for full size
What the hell is this!?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

Alcohol 120, or any other software (like daemon tools) that can create virtual drives installed?
--
~ Project Hope ~

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

The only thing that I have installed that can make a virtual drive is Acronis True Image. But those drives show in the device manager.

How do you suppose I could delete/unmount this thing?
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

Does Q: show in device mgr as well?
If so, unmount it that way.
Deletion? I don't know, some piece of software made that drive.

--
~ Project Hope ~

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Rexter

Yep, I'm with the others here, software you installed created the drive, this is not an unusual behavior.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Rexter

I installed a downloaded version of MS Office (Home/Student edition) and it created/uses a Q: drive. For whatever that might be worth.

Google has loads more about the mysterious Q: drive.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

norwegian
Premium
Outback

said by darcilicious:

I installed a downloaded version of MS Office (Home/Student edition) and it created/uses a Q: drive. For whatever that might be worth.

That was the last time I saw it on my system, thanks for jogging my memory, Office 2010 professional beta installed it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

how odd I've installed office 2010 pro plus on every computer at work and haven't gotten this Q drive.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I've still the installers here somewhere - keys from the period and all.
It was the professional plus installers too, weird then if this isn't doing it now.
I did install the full kit too.
Maybe they dropped a section, but that doesn't explain darcilicious See Profile saying the same thing.
I will look up on the laptop here as it is one of the kid's student pack for 2010 on a new Win 7 laptop.

Did you uncheck "hide empty partitions" in all those installs in the view tab for folders options?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to Rexter

If you use Microsoft Application Virtualization, it can create a Q: drive as well. Formerly known as SoftGrid.

TD

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

said by norwegian:

It was the professional plus installers too, weird then if this isn't doing it now.....
......I will look up on the laptop here as it is one of the kid's student pack for 2010 on a new Win 7 laptop.

I have had a look and it doesn't. The installer I beta tested was downloaded from Microsoft too, but the behavior is not showing on the laptop with 2010 student installed.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Microsoft explains:
»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi···fbf7e4f0

This means that you have chosen to install an Office 2010 Click-to-Run suite, such as Office Starter 2010, Office Starter To-Go, Office Home & Student, or Office Home & Business. These products are based on Application Virtualization technology. The Q:\ drive is the virtual file system drive where virtualized apps "live" in the file system namespace. The Q:\ drive is not a real drive; it has no space and is not accessible from Windows Explorer or “My Computer”.

towerdave See Profile is correct, it is used for Microsoft's visualization.
--