join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit
reply to chachazz

Re: MS Security Intel Report - 24% PCs Unprotected

The 24% figure is not really all that surprising.

I see it again and again, people purchase a new PC which comes with a trial anti-virus subscription, and after the subscription expires they just ignore it and continue to use the outdated anti-virus. I've even seen home computers with A/V software that hasn't been updated in over 5 years!!!

A lot of computer users have absolutely no idea of the importance of keeping A/V software and other applications up-to-date. They think the outdated software gives them sufficient ("good enough") protection.

Again, it all comes down to end-user education.

To say the least, I'm really disappointed that schools, to this day, still do not teach about the various aspects of cyber security. They insist on wasting time teaching how to use office applications, something which most students already know and have figured out easily enough.

Also, what can be done to educate adults on the subject?

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
said by TheMG:

Also, what can be done to educate adults on the subject?

Computers are hardly new-fangled thingamabobs and you would think that basic security practices, such as restraining your clicking finger, not opening that email attachment in hopes of seeing some celeb's boobies, and such would be common knowledge. Those are simple common sense measures that don't require extensive computer literacy and anyone should be able to grasp that in itself would prevent a good deal of security related problems.

But as we know, that isn't always the case.