spc
uniqs
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

1 edit

flashcore to GoodOmens

to GoodOmens

Re: What will Verizon do to compete with Google ?

said by GoodOmens:

Well I was replying to specifically if Verizon sells off FIOS.

The fact that Google just purchased iProvo in Utah and will be releasing service using iProvo's existing fiber further validates Google is OK using other peoples lines.

I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo. For Google this is all going to come down to money, just look at the track record when something starts costing them money they dump it and Google Fiber could end up in the same boat.

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by flashcore:

said by GoodOmens:

Well I was replying to specifically if Verizon sells off FIOS.

The fact that Google just purchased iProvo in Utah and will be releasing service using iProvo's existing fiber further validates Google is OK using other peoples lines.

I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo. For Google this is all going to come down to money, just look at the track record when something starts costing them money they dump it and Google Fiber could end up in the same boat.

Well, anything Google does costs them money, but is it going to be profitable for Google, is what Google is concerned about.

Meaning, that Google isn't willing to build out a system wide fiber network, because there is no "demand" for it, or if there is it's not "profitable" for them to do so.

Every company does this, look at AT&T, Verizon, TW, etc. they all calculate how much something costs, and if it's going to be "profitable" for them.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 edit

2 recommendations

ITALIAN926 to flashcore

to flashcore
quote:
I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo.
Verizon "workers" are rich or something? Or is this jealousy because they might have better benefits than you? Trying to make sense of your comment. God forbid people have good paying jobs.
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

2 edits

1 recommendation

flashcore

said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo.
Verizon "workers" are rich or something? Or is this jealousy because they might have better benefits than you? Trying to make sense of your comment. God forbid people have good paying jobs.

I work for the government, so no its not a better benefits thing or jealousy (Being in management I am not forced to pay dues like the rest of my employees but i use to and I hated it). I just cant stand the way they leech off the people they claim they represent while providing no real incentives to exist other then to serve their own best interests. At this point in time the unions do not do anything for there membership unless it benefits them, federal/state laws have done away with the need for a union but thanks to the people running this country they will not eliminate the leeches.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926

Face it, every union every trade, certainly the ones I've seen, has members who are barely tolerated in the good times, but who "help" during labor negotiations. Call them whatever you want to, but everybody knows it is the elephant in the room.

FWIW, there's good managers on both sides of the fence as well as bad. I have to work with all of them. All of the VZ folks I have encountered have been good at what they do, no question about that. But I have encountered two in my local area capable of assisting with labor negotiations.
Morris0
join:2011-05-14

Morris0

TV and Phone