how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

turbovmax

join:2003-08-03
Glendale, CA

[XPHome] MSSE problem with windows problems

I have a thread in the Security Clean Up forum that just about covers what problems I am having. But in a nut shell. I got the FBI virus. Took it to my local PC repair guy. He got rid of the virus, but now there are other problems. Computer is slow to boot. Firefox is even slower. My scroll on my laptops mouse pad is not working. I have to grab the right pane. Microsoft Security Essentials was uninstalled through Add or Remove Programs. I also did a regedit for all other files associated and deleted them. When I try to install MSSE it states that there is already MSSE on my computer and to remove it first before installing the new one. Except its been uninstalled. We did all the clean up in that forum and the MOD suggested posting here. So if there is any help for this beyond me having to reinstall windows all over again thanks.

Dr Tweak

join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA

The problem with most malware is the left over damage after it has been removed. If I were you with these issues I would back everything up and reinstall Windows. I own my own computer business and I would never give a client a computer back with issues left over from an infection, if it's not running perfect I'm not satisfied. I would suggest using Tweaking.com's Windows Repair »www.tweaking.com/content/page/wi···one.html it has automated fixes for most Windows problems.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

2 edits
reply to turbovmax

You might consider a repair install although it could end taking as much time as full re-install without the certainty of a full repair. You basically install Windows on top of itself. All your programs and settings are preserved, but you need to re-install the appropriate service packs and updates. One problem is, some manufacturers don't give you the media to make this possible. The second problem is, I doubt it will help with the MSE problem. The third problem is it could make thing worse... a lot worse. For the MSE problem we need the error code or the exact message you are receiving when you attempt to re-install. You mention other problems, like the lack of scroll capability which probably means the repair somehow damaged or removed the driver for the trackpad. The slowness of the boot and Firefox makes me wonder whether all the malware was removed. Was that determined in Security Cleanup?

Edit: Never mind on the last question. I see the system was determined to be malware free. »Microsoft security essentials problem for those who want to look back at the cleanup thread

Here is my suggestion. Before going forward, I would suggest you backup any important data. When that is done, we would be glad to proceed with repair install, if you have the media and you are willing.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA

Dr. Tweak and Kramer. Thanks for the info. Just so you know. I am on the road for work and sometimes it takes me some time to respond. I will run the Tweaking.coms Windows repair Dr Tweak. Will let you know what happens.

Kramer. I hope I dont have to go through a new windows install although I have done it 4 or 5 times before. Just a pain. So I'll see if any of the suggestions work and if worse comes to worse I'll reinstall.

Thanks guys. Keep you updated.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:17

One thing I might suggest is to restart the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if some of the issues clear up such as Firefox being slow.

If issues clear up in "Safe Mode with Networking" then try a "clean boot" and see if it makes a difference for Normal Mode - Follow Method 2, Steps 1 to 3 only in the following article to clean boot:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

To return to a Normal Startup follow the steps under "Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state" in the article.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA
reply to Dr Tweak

downloadreset.log 6,539 bytes
Here is the log.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA

1 edit
reply to auggy

Auggy. Restarting in Safe Mode. Will post results.

When I clicked on Disable All Method 2 Step 2 number 7 I got this,
An Acess Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes.

But when the computer rebooted I clicked the box in Method 3 and the computer booted quickly and so did Firefox. The little hour glass that kept popping up at the mouse arrow seems to be gone or is flashing so fast I don't perceive it. But the scrolling is still not working. Any next step?

turbovmax

Glendale, CA
reply to Kramer

The error code from trying to install MSE is 0x80070645. It states, "An error has prevented the Security Essentials setup wizard from compleating successfully. Please restart and try again.

Hope this helps.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

Have you tried the Fix-it on this page? »support.microsoft.com/kb/2635095

Give it a shot if not. You may have missed some registry entries.

As far as the scrolling, what is the brand and model computer? Until Auggy steps in, I would suggest re-adding in a couple of startup items at a time in MSCONFIG, until you experience the slowness again. Then back off so you can narrow down the specific problem.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA

Yes I have done the procedure listed in that fix it page. A few times. I have gone over the registry 5 to 6 times to make sure I did not miss any sub files. There all gone. One thing I did notice. On starting the computer I used to get a small window down on the lower right side above the red shield that stated My computer may be at risk. And it used to say that MSE was not turned on. Now it just says there is no anti virus turned on.

The brand is a HP Pavillion dv8000. An old one.

I'll try adding one at a time and report back. Thanks.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

You might want to try re-installing the Synaptics Touchpad driver for that machine on this page. »h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft···449#N498
Then check the settings for it.

Did you actually run the automatic fix-it or manually remove the entries? Make sure you run the fix-it. As old as that machine is, I don't see any harm in running some other AV on it. Something like AVG or Avast.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA

I was concerned about uninstalling the Synaptics Touchpad for fear I would not have a touch pad.

In the link you gave there is nothing I see to download and run. There is a procedure under resolution that I have done. Am I missing a download? Also I believe I ran this FixIt in the Security Clean Up thread.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

1 edit

Click for full size
Expand the keyboard, mouse and input devices section. Basic mouse functions should continue to operate even without the driver. Scrolling is probably a function supplied by the driver. As I said before and I believe someone in cleanup also mentioned, you always have the option of another security program. I'd put the inability to reload MSE on the bottom of your list of to-dos. Auggy has you well on the way to achieving normal performance and when you solve the touchpad issue, I'd be happy this clunker still works without a reload and call it a day.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA

I like your sense of humor about this clunker Kramer.
Auggy,
When I was doing the selective start up and adding one thing at a time problems started when I checked Load System Services. The task bar turned a creamy white color same with the boarders of the window boxes that would come up and the computer would not boot. I had to return to normal start up to get it to boot.
Kramer,
Auggy was the one who originally turned me onto MSE and it was the best free software I had ever used. I don't really care for AVG because it seems to slow every thing down. But I guess I will have to go with that or the Avast you recommended. My question here would be does Avast slow things down like AVG. MSE did not slow a thing down.

I'm going to try selective start up again just to turn off the things I don't want starting like Microsoft Messenger etc.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

said by turbovmax:

MSE did not slow a thing down.

Especially Malware. Look at your situation:) Truthfully, none of the security products out there are much better. I think Avast has less of a footprint then AVG and I agree MSE probably has the least effect on slower systems.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA

I'm not understanding what you want me to do with your last post. I guess they are links but when I click on them it just opens another page and acts like a photo. I get the little magnifying glass with the X in the middle and it lets me make the picture bigger or smaller.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

The message just shows you the links I provided earlier in two previous messages that you apparently didn't see. . One has the Synaptics driver and the other the actual Fixit from Microsoft that I linked. In both cases you need to expand the articles or pages to see the links. I would suggest you run that fixit and not make manual registry changes as you have done. For the touchpad driver I would download that file from HP and install it. You are not likely to lose mouse function as that is built into WIndows. The scrolling capability is something supported by the driver... or at least that's what I think is the case.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA

Ok. Try them again and get back to you. Thanks.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA
reply to Kramer

When I follow the links and try to download and install I get two errors.
1. Download error: C:\Documents and settings\George\Desktop\sp34473.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

2. C:\Documents and settings\George\Desktop\sp34473.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

turbovmax

Glendale, CA
reply to Dr Tweak

downloadreset.log 4,100 bytes
Dr Tweak. I don't thing the other log was correct. The software did not run like it did last night. So here is a correct log.