dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
richrf
join:2013-04-17

richrf

How to retain ameritech.net mail after DSL cancellation?

Hi,

I have been reading mixed information about retaining ameritech.net email addresses, should I cancel my ATT dsl services. Is there a firm policy that I can read about on an official site? I presently access my email via mail.yahoo.com and have had this email address for many years so I do not want to take any chances that I might lose it. Thank you for your assistance.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

I have misplaced the postcard they sent me, else I would scan and post it. The postcard announced that my 'pacbell.net' email addresses would convert to free Yahoo! web mail addresses. As of now, all 'pacbell.net' accounts are accessible either through 'mail.yahoo.com' (web mail login) or '[imap|smtp].mail.yahoo.com', using ports 993 and 465 respectively, with SSL.

Configuring an AT&T domain for IMAP/SMTP service.

The screen shot is from the Opera built in email client; Mozilla Thunderbird explicitly offers SSL. One should use SSL when offered.

AT&T does have an agreement with Yahoo! which allows Yahoo! to offer web mail in the 'att.net' domain to anybody, regardless of their ISP.
richrf
join:2013-04-17

richrf

Thanks much!
bobbiedb
join:2007-07-14
Nashville, TN

bobbiedb to NormanS

to NormanS

Would sbcglobal.net mail also be etained under Yahoo?

Do you happen to know if email under an address with *****.sbcglobal.net would also be retained under Yahoo's free email?

Thanks.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bobbiedb:

Do you happen to know if email under an address with *****.sbcglobal.net would also be retained under Yahoo's free email?

All eleven of them would be retained:
• ameritech.net
• att.net
• bellsouth.net
• flash.net
• nvbell.net
• pacbell.net
• prodigy.net
• sbcglobal.net
• snet.net
• swbell.net
• wans.net
bobbiedb
join:2007-07-14
Nashville, TN

bobbiedb

Thank you

Thank you, NormanS, I really appreciate it!
CharlesH1
join:2011-04-29
Milpitas, CA

CharlesH1 to richrf

to richrf

Re: How to retain ameritech.net mail after DSL cancellation?

What about sub-accounts? My DSL account is a pacbell.net e-mail address, with several sub-account pacbell.net addresses. While from the discussions here, I am confident that the main address would be converted to a "free" yahoo account, I haven't heard what happens to sub-accounts if you terminate your DSL service.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by CharlesH1:

What about sub-accounts? My DSL account is a pacbell.net e-mail address, with several sub-account pacbell.net addresses. While from the discussions here, I am confident that the main address would be converted to a "free" yahoo account, I haven't heard what happens to sub-accounts if you terminate your DSL service.

I terminated my two AT&T DSL accounts in March 2011, and all of the att.net and bellsouth.net email accounts were/are still accessible through the ATT/Yahoo! email servers. I am also still able to access them through »www.att.com/olam/dashboa ··· mexecute to make changes and even create new sub accounts. Also, none of them have yet been converted into "free" Yahoo! accounts; I still have full POP and SMTP access to them.

I can't however, guarantee anything for your situation because my impression is that it is somewhat just the luck of the draw as to what will happen to any individual account when it is terminated. Some have reported that they still have full access just as I do, and some have reported that the accounts were closed (or made inaccessible due to authentication problems which neither AT&T nor Yahoo! seem interested in resolving once you are no longer an AT&T customer).

You may want to do what I did prior to terminating my two DSL accounts. I setup all of the AT&T email accounts to forward to another (non-AT&T) email address, and later, after I verified that the AT&T accounts were still accessible, I removed the forwarding.