uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

Does Windows XP Home come in a real RETAIL version?

That is to ask, does XP Home come in a "real" retail version that allows the user to move that operating system from computer to computer and still stay in compliance with the MSFT license?

Some retailers are selling XP Home - OEM which appears to include only a disc, COA, and a key code sticker.

Some of those same retailers also offer they call a "Retail" version of XP-Home that appears to come in a box or in a folder of some sort.

Does the fact that the product comes in a box or a folder change the license to allow multiple moves or transfers of the software to different computer and to different people?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Yes, I have a retail copy of xp pro I bought over a decade ago, and moved to different machines without any activation problems.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

Thanks for that reply. I've heard here that it was only XP Pro that came in the retail version, but another user just replied in the unfortunate "double post" thread that he/she has a retail version of XP Home.

Given that is the case, perhaps we should look for a couple of XP Home or Pro retail versions to be future proofed.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Gem

I have 4 XP retails. These are the upgrade version. When I begin the install process, it asks for a lesser version as proof and I pop in my Windows 98 CD and away we go. No activation problem here either.

I am in the process of putting together the parts for my third Windows 7 machine. It will soon be bye bye XP.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
reply to Gem

Yes, XP Home did come in a retail version back in the day when it was first released... However, good luck finding a new license of it now days.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Gem

I didn't move xp pro often, and xp loses all support in 2014 so I suggest you get a newer version retail like Win 7.

seaman
Premium
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA
reply to Gem

Yes, most office supply stores sold "real retail" versions for aprox 8 years. Whether you purchase OEM or Retail is quickly becoming a mute point. Security updates will no longer be issued for XP in APR 2014.