Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5

Sump Pump question, Help!

This is the model sump pump i have...
»www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-3-H···NrxmNvx4

So we have been getting a TON of rain around here for 2 weeks straight, I noticed my Sump Pump has not went off at all....

So, I tested it, I pullws the float up and it drained the water but ran for about 10-15 seconds after it drained all the water out...

So i put water into the hole until the Sump Pump went off again,(but became really close,2-3" from the floor a little to high if you ask me) it drained all the water and still ran for about 10-15 seconds after it drained all the water...

Is this all normal???
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

Think they are set to run a specific amount of time once the float trips the unit. Not sure. Think my main unit runs only a couple seconds after it drains. Backup unit my run about 10 or so past the point it can no longer pump water out.

Basement watchdog combo bw4000 unit if that matters.

As far as when it starts to pump can you adjust the floats in any way?

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by dcurrey:

Think they are set to run a specific amount of time once the float trips the unit. Not sure. Think my main unit runs only a couple seconds after it drains. Backup unit my run about 10 or so past the point it can no longer pump water out.

Basement watchdog combo bw4000 unit if that matters.

As far as when it starts to pump can you adjust the floats in any way?

I have no idea if I can adjust it or not :\..

It drains the water really quick, but runs after ALL the water is drained, I am scared the motor might burn out.
--

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

Don't think I would worry much about the time it runs after it drains the pit. The couple of inches from the top of pit would worry me.

Even my secondary pump trips below 12 inches from top of pit.

Is the unit setting on a brick or something?

I am in the first home that I have to deal with sump pump. Not sure of pits are some uniform size or not guessing not. First project was to remove the old unit and replace with the combo pump so I would have backup in case of power outage.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to SuperNet9

This is not normal. Your float switch is failing. You need a new float switch. Your float switch probably isn't serviceable (like the piggy back type float switches), so you basically need a new pump.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

...and it drained the water but ran for about 10-15 seconds after it drained all the water out...

Pumps should never run dry... something has to be wrong

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to SuperNet9

Buy a real pump and buy a Zoeler. It also sounds like your sump is too shallow. I also suggest to get one where the "float" is on the wire (don't know the real name for it). The integrated float tends to hang up (been there, done that). I'm running one that's like 15 years old and is running as if brand new. I once calculated how much it pumps a day, and it's like 1000+ gal. During/after storms if left unchecked my water table will even out with 2' of water in the basement (don't ask how I know). There's times it'll run hours on end. We used to use these for dock de-ices that would run 4 months solid. Once you turned them on, they had to stay on till end of winter.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

This is the model sump pump i have...
»www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-3-H···NrxmNvx4

So we have been getting a TON of rain around here for 2 weeks straight, I noticed my Sump Pump has not went off at all....

So, I tested it, I pullws the float up and it drained the water but ran for about 10-15 seconds after it drained all the water out...

So i put water into the hole until the Sump Pump went off again,(but became really close,2-3" from the floor a little to high if you ask me) it drained all the water and still ran for about 10-15 seconds after it drained all the water...

Is this all normal???

It appears your pump is operating normally keeping the sump pumped out. You don't need a new float switch or pump. 10 or 15 seconds of run will not hurt anything.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8URjN9hQE

Around 29 seconds, there is a strange sound... does it sound like the pump is going?
--

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Another vote for a failing float switch.

The float takes too long to engage the pump once it reaches the on position (based on the video, right about when the water reaches the level of that black corrugated drain pipe), and you say the pump runs for 10-15 seconds after the pit is drained.

Replace it. The switch will probably fail soon, and running the pump dry will eventually damage the shaft seal and the pump will fail.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by PSWired:

The switch will probably fail soon, and running the pump dry will eventually damage the shaft seal and the pump will fail.

How can you determine the switch probably will fail soon? It could very well be a slight mechanical bind but at any rate 10 or 15 second over-run will not damage the pump as it is not running any appreciable time.

We seem to be very quick at spending other peoples money on here.

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

Mercury-free float switches have a bunch of parts that depend on not being worn or sticking. The behavior of OP's switch shows that something internally has failed. When was the last time you saw a bearing unseize itself or a race return itself to correct dimensions?

If there's no consequence to the sump pump not working, then okay, wait till the switch totally fails. But most sump pumps prevent flooding, and a $20 switch now is well worth flood damage cleanup later. Plus, these pumps aren't cheap, and running them dry will absolutely burn the seal up eventually.

There's a difference between spending others' money and being penny wise, pound foolish.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

Thanks everyone for there input.

So no one knows what that sound is at the 29 second mark on the YouTube video? Is it normal?
--

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

I can't really tell what that sound is. When does the pump finally start?

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by PSWired:

I can't really tell what that sound is. When does the pump finally start?

Not too sure, Knock on wood but i don't see the water on the floor at all, so it must be doing its job but im scared about that sound.
--

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

Does the float switch on this pump have a pass-through plug like this:

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by PSWired:

Does the float switch on this pump have a pass-through plug like this:
">

Nope, it is only 1 power plug... The float is attached to the sump pump...
--

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

Hm. If it were mine and a pump failure could cause flood damage, I'd replace the pump. Then I'd take the old one apart to see if the float switch could be replaced. I'd then keep the old pump as a spare once it was fixed.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by PSWired:

Hm. If it were mine and a pump failure could cause flood damage, I'd replace the pump. Then I'd take the old one apart to see if the float switch could be replaced. I'd then keep the old pump as a spare once it was fixed.

»www.amazon.com/Fpsc2250a-10-1-3h···points=1

Read that person's review... does that sound like my sound/issue?
--

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SuperNet9

Your mistake is getting or having a flotec.

You can get a top notch pump for almost the same price as a crappy plastic flotec.

»www.amazon.com/Liberty-Pumps-257···01PTT5JM

Unfortunately for me, my land's drainage is superior to the rain and snow melt, so that sump pump (yes I bought that) hasn't seen action yet

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

So no one knows what that sound is at the 29 second mark on the YouTube video? Is it normal?

You mean that metallic, rattling sound? No, that's not normal. All you should hear is the hum of the motor and maybe the "swoosh" of the water through the pipe if you're close enough.

Yours sounds like it has some sort of mechanical issue: Something rattling around in the impeller cage, a loose impeller, or shot bearing or something. It's hard to make out exactly what it is, but it certainly isn't anything you should be hearing from a sump pump.

Replace it.

I have one of these, bought it probably ten years ago or so and it still works fine: »www.farmandfleet.com/products/01···ump.html

PSWired

Annapolis, MD
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

said by PSWired:

»www.amazon.com/Fpsc2250a-10-1-3h···points=1

Read that person's review... does that sound like my sound/issue?

That review describes a different type of float switch, the kind that rides on a vertical shaft. Yours is the type pictured above, attached to the end of a flexible cable. Symptoms are similar though.

PSWired

Annapolis, MD
reply to Stevert

said by Stevert:

said by SuperNet9:

You mean that metallic, rattling sound? No, that's not normal. All you should hear is the hum of the motor and maybe the "swoosh" of the water through the pipe if you're close enough.

Yours sounds like it has some sort of mechanical issue: Something rattling around in the impeller cage, a loose impeller, or shot bearing or something. It's hard to make out exactly what it is, but it certainly isn't anything you should be hearing from a sump pump.

Replace it.

I have one of these, bought it probably ten years ago or so and it still works fine: »www.farmandfleet.com/products/01···ump.html

When I listened to the video, I thought the rattling sound was something in the background? Is that right?

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by PSWired:

said by Stevert:

said by SuperNet9:

Replace it.

When I listened to the video, I thought the rattling sound was something in the background? Is that right?

The rattle is rain coming from the heat pipe thing on the roof ( not to sure what it is called)
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

Your mistake is getting or having a flotec.

You can get a top notch pump for almost the same price as a crappy plastic flotec.

»www.amazon.com/Liberty-Pumps-257···01PTT5JM

Unfortunately for me, my land's drainage is superior to the rain and snow melt, so that sump pump (yes I bought that) hasn't seen action yet

We've been pretty happy with our Flotec--a 1HP cast iron floatless electronic unit. It's done very, very well. It really earned its keep when this area of the Chicago burbs experienced flooding this last week and many of our neighbors had water in their basements. Our basement stayed absolutely dry. We've had it for almost two years now and we're very happy with it.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-HP-···-1qLYcdU
--
Really, Obammy? 18% tax rate and you criticised Romney??? Jackass.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1hp? That's a lot of sumping action

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Yeah, We got burned a couple of years ago by the sump pump that was already in there (a 1/3 HP unit). It couldn't keep up with the rain water and we had a couple of inches of water in a portion of the basement. I didn't want to deal with that again. I will say that the unit we have now moves water really darn fast.
--
Really, Obammy? 18% tax rate and you criticised Romney??? Jackass.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
reply to SuperNet9

I didn't watch that video cuz I'm out right now but if the consensus is replace it, then replace it. A failing sump pump isn't something to screw around with, unless you know it won't flood or don't mind.

I like Zoeller or Hydromatic, I think Zoeller is more readily available in IL. They are only available from a local plumbing supply house and run around 200 dollars give or take. Those pumps move way more water then your average plastic housed pump from the big box.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

Zoeller is available at HD.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL