All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ

Re: How to locate squirrel's entrance into roof?

It probably doesn't make a huge difference in your problem, but the fact that you hear them "a few hours after dusk" leads me to think that these are rats or mice, not squirrels. Squirrels go to sleep at dusk, they wouldn't be active at night.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig

said by Raphion:

It probably doesn't make a huge difference in your problem, but the fact that you hear them "a few hours after dusk" leads me to think that these are rats or mice, not squirrels. Squirrels go to sleep at dusk, they wouldn't be active at night.

Squirrels aftervdarkbdoesn't make sense to me.
Although when we had critters at our old place, I referred to them as squirrels or kittens.
If it's a real squirrel it will exit the roof when the daytime heat builds. Hope for an early summer.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

They're squirrels. No question about it. I've seen the mother/juveniles running around on the roof many times, and when I do hear them at night, it's for a very short duration, like they're getting up to take a dump or something.

Anyways, I figured out how they're getting in! I found a couple of holes in the gables which had about an inch/inch and a half clearance in them. I shoved a couple of pine cones in each one and checked back the next day to see if they were removed. Not only were they removed, but the tree rats were nice enough to gnaw the holes a few times larger so pine cones wouldn't jam them up anymore.

Now I'm wondering if I should trap them first, or just seal up the holes with expansion foam and hardware cloth during the day while they're out. Some say close up the holes while they're gone and if you do a good enough job, they'll leave. Others have said that they'll spend days running around your roof looking for a new way in, gnawing at anything\everything until they can find a weak point they can exploit, and cause a lot of damage in the process.

The problem with trapping them is I only have access to a 5"x5"x24" Havahart cage (nothing larger is available in stores) and the city's animal control department doesn't rent them out. Plus I'd also have to drive each one 10-15 miles away so they don't return.

Or I could spend ~$250 on an exterminator, which is becoming a more tempting option every day.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig

MVM

Victor Rat Traps - about $2 each at Home Depot.
Bait with Orange candy slices (1 slice does 4-5 traps.)

Use grocery bags to handle the remains.
Replace trap if blood is spilled, else just replace teh bait and reset.

Check every couple of days for about two weeks.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn to TheSMJ

Premium Member

to TheSMJ
said by TheSMJ:

Now I'm wondering if I should trap them first, or just seal up the holes with expansion foam and hardware cloth during the day while they're out. Some say close up the holes while they're gone and if you do a good enough job, they'll leave. Others have said that they'll spend days running around your roof looking for a new way in, gnawing at anything\everything until they can find a weak point they can exploit, and cause a lot of damage in the process.

On TV I have seen an exterminator deal with bats by hanging a net over the opening. The bats could find their way out by pushing behind the net, but they could not find their way back in. I wonder if an exterminator has a way to do the equivalent for squirrels.
said by TheSMJ:

Plus I'd also have to drive each one 10-15 miles away so they don't return.

While you are at it, dump your trash and yard waste at the same time. It would be just if somebody reciprocates by dumping rodents in your neighborhood.

Seriously, if you could use car exhaust to the cage under a tarp or other humane method, that would be better. »www.havahart.com/store/l ··· squirrel shows traps that Havahart thinks are suitable for squirrels.
TheSMJ
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

said by Spensergig:

Victor Rat Traps - about $2 each at Home Depot.
Bait with Orange candy slices (1 slice does 4-5 traps.)

Use grocery bags to handle the remains.
Replace trap if blood is spilled, else just replace teh bait and reset.

Check every couple of days for about two weeks.

Originally I didn't want to kill them, but my patients is wearing thin.
said by StillLearn:

said by TheSMJ:

On TV I have seen an exterminator deal with bats by hanging a net over the opening. The bats could find their way out by pushing behind the net, but they could not find their way back in. I wonder if an exterminator has a way to do the equivalent for squirrels.

There is such a thing, but they don't seem to sell them in stores around here.
said by StillLearn:

said by TheSMJ:

While you are at it, dump your trash and yard waste at the same time. It would be just if somebody reciprocates by dumping rodents in your neighborhood.

I don't see the connection, unless I drop them off at a location entirely uninhabited by squirrels. I don't think such a location exists in the United States so I doubt I'll just stumble upon one.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by TheSMJ:

said by StillLearn:

said by TheSMJ:

I don't see the connection, unless I drop them off at a location entirely uninhabited by squirrels. I don't think such a location exists in the United States so I doubt I'll just stumble upon one.

You find the squirrels with a penchant for nesting in houses to be unwelcome in your neighborhood. You propose to dump them into somebody else's neighborhood.
TheSMJ
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

You realize any squirrel would prefer to nest inside a home given the chance, don't you?
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

1 edit

Tig to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ
When I've had critters abuse my hospitality, I let them out at their regular time and then block their return. Kind of like your pinecone idea, I use an exit indicator that they can easily remove. After they have left, I make it impossible for them to access the entrance. Repeat for a couple days and then seal permanently. I had a red squirrel last year. He moved on without finding the other very obvious opening. Previously evicted skunks and racoons with the same strategy. Just don't underestimate them.
They will move on and they don't seem to take it personaly. No need to force relocation with a car ride if you fix the access issue.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to TheSMJ

Premium Member

to TheSMJ
said by TheSMJ:

You realize any squirrel would prefer to nest inside a home given the chance, don't you?

No. What is the source of your claim?
TheSMJ
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

said by Tig:

When I've had critters abuse my hospitality, I let them out at their regular time and then block their return. Kind of like your pinecone idea, I use an exit indicator that they can easily remove. After they have left, I make it impossible for them to access the entrance. Repeat for a couple days and then seal permanently. I had a red squirrel last year. He moved on without finding the other very obvious opening. Previously evicted skunks and racoons with the same strategy. Just don't underestimate them.
They will move on and they don't seem to take it personaly. No need to force relocation with a car ride if you fix the access issue.

I'm considering just sealing up the holes tonight and then waiting to see what happens. If a week goes by without any more signs of unwanted tenants, I'll return the traps to Home Depot. This is the easiest option since I'd need to close up the holes anyways.
said by 8744675:

Squirrels are very had to get rid of once they take up residence. I've had up to 5 in my attic. The were getting in through a gap in the fascia and the roof decking, where the gutters were attached. The gap was too small, so they chewed a bigger opening right through the sheet metal gutter to widen the opening.

I'd love it if they were in a part of the attic that I could just sit in and pop them off as they walk in, but no such luck. I'd do it from the outside, but I could be left waiting a long time, and my aim isn't that great.

If they manage to get back in again after sealing the holes, the gloves come off and the rat traps come out. It's not as though these squirrels are an endangered species.

said by StillLearn See Profile
No. What is the source of your claim?

As it so happens, I have a roof full of squirrels! I made a thread about it if you want to check it out.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

What I've done in the past to evict them is seal up all of the holes really good but give them a way to get out that they can't get back in through. For instance, I took the screen out of a soffit vent and created a chute out of sheetmetal about a foot long hanging down. They were able to jump out but had no way to climb back up it. Be diligent watching for them trying to get back in. Close and repair any new holes they make. They will give up after a few days and find someplace else to live.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by robbin:

What I've done in the past to evict them is seal up all of the holes really good but give them a way to get out that they can't get back in through. For instance, I took the screen out of a soffit vent and created a chute out of sheetmetal about a foot long hanging down. They were able to jump out but had no way to climb back up it. Be diligent watching for them trying to get back in. Close and repair any new holes they make. They will give up after a few days and find someplace else to live.

That's brilliant. Did you happen to keep a picture?
TheSMJ
Farmington, MI

1 edit

TheSMJ to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

This might work, but I'm not sure if I'd have enough room to attach sheet metal around the holes. Even if I did, it would have the same effect when they come back - they'll find they're unable to get back in, so they'll try to make new holes elsewhere, gnawing on everything until they locate a weakness.

I'd rather not have to chase them around fixing new holes like 8744675 had to deal with until they eventually give up. The only way to prevent that is by removing the offenders from the property, dead or alive.
said by Tig:

While we're waiting for today's squirrel update, I though I'd ask what kind of squirrels are these? Around here we have the large grey or black (rarely brown) squirrels and also red squirrels. And of course chipmunks.
Predators seem to maintain them all at a reasonable ballance.

They're grey squirrels. Eastern grey squirrels to be exact. I'm waiting to see if the Michigan Humane Society will loan me live traps (we've been playing phone tag all day) otherwise I'm using the rat sized snap traps since I can't bring myself to spend $40-$80 on what is far from an endangered species.

EDIT: Nope. No traps available from the Humane Society. Might have to go the rat trap route.

I don't want to kill them, but ultimately I need them out of the house. Lucky for them it'll be raining all day so I can't leave traps out w/o the bait washing away. Might have to wait until tomorrow or this weekend at the latest.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by TheSMJ:

Lucky for them it'll be raining all day so I can't leave traps out w/o the bait washing away. Might have to wait until tomorrow or this weekend at the latest.

Unshelled peanuts don't wash away. Maybe put a couple near the trap, and tie one to the trap trigger with thread.