Search similar:

uniqs
corb0046
join:2013-04-17
Elkhorn, WI

corb0046

Routers and Charters IpV6

Click for full size
hi, im trying to setup ipv6 for a RT-AC66R router....with Charter's settings. What i did was just enter in Charters ipv6 DNS servers and it populated some of the other fields, using the Tunnel 6RD protocol. My question is this is it working, how do i know? Do i need charter to flip on a switch to give me a routable ipv6 ip address? right now i get the standard ip address from charter, or does this matter? I tired calling charter and that was about the best waste of time i did all day, since they dont know much about specific information. id appreciate any feed back on this send to corb0046@gmail.com

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

Try going to »www.test-ipv6.com/ and see what portions of your connection are working, and what aren't. Is your PC getting an IPv6 address from your router?
Also, try pinging 2001:4860:4860::8888 (google's IPv6 DNS server).

mauld81
@mchsi.com

mauld81 to corb0046

Anon

to corb0046
Click for full size
It looks to me like you might need to use a newer firmware version.... Here's how my RT-N66U is set up....
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV

mauld81,
You may be right on the firmware revision, but also he is using the DHCP option, while you have it turned off, so that may dictate the extra fields you have. I never tried it with DHCP off either.

I posted something about this a ways back. I had fits trying to get the AC66U(same as the AC66R) working with ipv6. I couldn't get it to work as of around October or so and gave up. I know at one point, the firmware was set up wrong and was force feeding bad values to a couple fields that needed different values, but the fields weren't user editable, so I had to try command line commands to change them, but still it never really worked.

I am using Merlin's firmware now and I know they(ASUS) has made some strides in adding/fixing setting(Nerlin's is based off ASUS's firmware), but I haven't gone back and tried again lately.

mauld81
@mchsi.com

mauld81

Anon

As far as I'm aware Charter's 6RD tunnel will not work with DHCP turned on. Those are the settings I've used with both DD-WRT and the Merlin version of the Asus WRT with no problems (see link below for Charter's 6RD settings).

»www.myaccount.charter.co ··· eID=2665

That said, the router still hands out IPV6 addresses to clients so once it's set up in the router everything should work as expected.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV

Thanx mauld81,

Your setup finally worked. I had some strange occurences but it finally worked. When I turned off the DHCP, all my settings immediately matched yours, so I must have been close when I tried several months ago, but I'm guessing the older firmware still had bugs related to ipv6, thus why it never worked.

When I first set it up and rebooted the router tho, my laptop would no longer connect to anything when WIRED. However, Wireless worked perfectly. My laptop and phone had no issues wirelessly, but wired wouldn't work at all.

I rebooted the router again and this time, I was able to connect to my local network while wired and get to the router but could NOT get to the internet. Again wireless worked fine.

I finally rebooted the router a THIRD time and everything FINALLY started working while wired. Not sure what the issue was, but it seems like it is good to go now. I rebooted the router again to test and it seems ok now. I tried the Charter test site and passed all the ipv6 tests too.
AKNMtUsiwi
join:2013-06-06

1 edit

AKNMtUsiwi to corb0046

to corb0046
There is a detailed description of how to get IPv6 working with Charter here.

»kdwink.blogspot.com/2013 ··· ons.html

Residential account. Uses 6rd with OpenWrt.