join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

SB6580 high jacked DNS settings by "TWC search"

Click for full size
what the hell is up with that.

Now I get a auto redirect to dnsrsearch.com/

I do remember opting out of this shit a long time ago.

Also opting out does nothing .

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state

anon_5224

Re: SB6580 high jacked DNS settings by "TWC search"

If you call in, a Tier 3 rep should be able to Opt your account out of the DNS Redirection. I don't know if other departments have access to it as well, but I've done this for many customers myself. Also, what happens if you use Google DNS?

WhartoX
join:2004-01-18
Cincinnati, OH

WhartoX to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
»www.dnsrsearch.com/prefs.php

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Wouldn't you have to do this every time your ip changes?

You can always use 3rd party dns such as google or opendns. Just turn everything off you you don't want filtering of any kind. Opendns has a program that will update your ip if it changes automatically.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
The RR DNS redirect opt-in/out is tracked by modem MAC, so if you swap modems, you have to opt-out again. Once that is done you may have to wait a few minutes and reset your modem or refresh your IP lease. The main opt-out setting didn't take instantaneously from what I remember.

The settings on the preferences page, have previously been tracked by cookies so if you toss the cookies they appear to reset to defaults when you log-in again. but they don't actually change any TWC settings unless you hit save on the page.

»www.dnsrsearch.com/prefs.php

TWC, Charter, and Earthlink DNS redirects used the same system/provider if I remember right when I had them and had to configure them. I haven't messed with these things in years, so it may have changed, especially if they changed redirect providers.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I didn't realize I'd have to set preferences there again after Oceanic gave me this 6141 modem end of November last year. Thanks! I just went to the page and changed it to disabled.