how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

voxframe

join:2010-08-02

1 recommendation

Airmax VS NV2 for backhaul

QUICK EDIT - I realize this has been hashed before, but time and firmware have passed enough where things I think are considerably different on both sides.

OK, so hardware aside. What kind of results are you getting with these two "protocols" on straight PTP backhaul situations.

Airmax is nice, and what I currently use, but I'm annoyed being limited by port speed. I'm downright pissed with Ubnt and looking to jump ship on our backhals to start with. Had enough broken promises, and worthless answers to tough questions they don't want to face.

NV2 sounds better as it's a gig port and can break the 100 threshold. (So I hear anyway)

Hardware, I feel both are on a par, perhaps Ubnt a little more rugged than the SXT units, but ignoring hardware for this one.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
Port speed is my biggest complaint as well. I take it the Titanium line is still worthless?

voxframe

reply to voxframe
I won't touch that shit with a 10 foot pole.

Last I knew there were serious hardware issues. (I could be totally wrong by now though)

I'm also looking for a fully "Integrated" solution. So rather than cobbling boards and card and pigtails and tape and connectors... I'd rather have an all-in one box a-la-powerbridge style.

In theory the SXT line fits right in with that request, anything bigger and I'd be jumping up to the rocket dishes, which then I may look into titanium, but last I knew didn't MT come up with a snap in Rocket alternative?

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to voxframe
Can't compare the two lines as I have never used MTK for PtP, but keep in mind that the STX only has an 18dBi(I think) antenna--limiting distances.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to voxframe
I always had better luck with ubnt as back hauls. NV2 was lousy, that being said yesterday I started Trial of nv2 on some ptmp and recent firmware it definitely has improved. And this is on legacy 900mhz
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

cfabe

join:2003-03-07
USA
I just upgraded two 13-mile backhauls from ubnt to mikrotik. Rockets were getting me about 50-60mbps and the CPUs were maxed out. Didn't want to go to titanium because of the recall/reliability problems and the sites were set up for 24V power so the 48V rockets were a pain. I'm getting 80-100 mbps out of the tiks running NV2 and I think the one link would do >100 if I had gig POEs for it.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by cfabe:

I'm getting 80-100 mbps out of the tiks running NV2 and I think the one link would do >100 if I had gig POEs for it.

Same here. I don't have much experience with UBNT PTP, but I can easily push 100+ megs TCP using dual polarity in a 40mhz channel as long as you keep the signal better than -60.

I get awesome throughput with NV2, but I'm not totally thrilled with the jitter and overall latency of the links, especially when there's not a lot of traffic flowing. Nstreme has awesome low ping times when idle, but at best I'm usually getting 60% of the throughput of NV2, and latency is much higher with Nstreme as you start approaching the limits of the link.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to voxframe
I thought you were ment to disable airmax on a p2p because there is no point in running the TDMA

Isnt NV2 microtiks version of airmax? in which case it would be pointless to compare the performance on a p2p link.

voxframe

said by raytaylor:

Isnt NV2 microtiks version of airmax? in which case it would be pointless to compare the performance on a p2p link.

They are similar, and perhaps even based off the same code in the beginning, but they perform differently. Also a major difference is the lack of Gig ports on the Ubnt stuff.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

I thought you were ment to disable airmax on a p2p because there is no point in running the TDMA

There are applications where Airmax is required on p2p links. You just brought this up in another thread and were told the same thing.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to cfabe
+1
and I don't find latency or jitter nearly as wild as it was on the Rockets at 1/2 the throughput.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
What equipment setup are you using on your 'tik back hauls?
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

Semaphore
Premium
411GL, R52Hn, Tycon suppressor, PacWireless ECS, in an ARC enclosure with a dual pol 23 db panel. Or I sub in the Pacwireless 6x8x2 enclosure with N bulkheads and external jumpers if I connect to a rocket dish.
I set the NV2 Slots to 1 and the NV2 distance to actual plus 1km. Two chains (obviously). Guard interval any. SDU and PDU at defaults. Hardware retries at 7. Station count at 1.
Keep TX power under 17db and Rx level at -56 or better for full modulation. Running firmware 5.23, bridged with con-tracking off. I see +125Mbps real user traffic on a clean shot with a 40 Meg channel.
If you try iPerf with "1 con" you'll peak out around 24Mbps for some weird reason, but I have thousands of connections on any link at any time.
I've replaced many of my links which were rockets with this setup.
I found the rockets maxed out around 60 Mbps in most cases but they were more tolerant of adjacent or nearfield noise than the RBs..... I've had to deploy RF armor shields in some locations where we switched from rockets on dishes to RB's on the same dishes.
S

Semaphore
Premium

1 edit
reply to Rhaas
Removed Dup post

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to Semaphore
Grassy ass. I am going to be looking at a bunch of back haul links in the coming months.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA

1 edit
reply to voxframe
Mikrotik for backhauls.

We were using Mikrotik 802.11n cards into 3 foot dual pol dishes. Worked a treat over 20 miles.

It is funny, UBNT can't get their software sorted so Mikrotik just kicks their butts.

Mikrotik for backhauls...

voxframe

reply to voxframe
The thing that drives me nuts is I love Ubnt for their "all in one" physical designs. Even the dishes are essentially a "sealed" design with the rockets.

I'm sick of dealing with cards and boards, and tape and goo, and general BS on the towers. It's nice when I have an integrated panel or dish, hand it to the installer and say GO.

But when it comes to troubleshooting cards and pigtails and spare boards, and then taping it, and then more tape, and oh shit it's -20C and the tape doesn't work.... *ARGH*