spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Haiman

join:2013-04-08

Which modem/router to get for Verizon DSL?

Hello everyone, I ordered Verizon dry loop DSL, 1 megabit/s download, 384K upload.

The list of compatible modems is:

Modems*
• Westell ProLine G90-610015-20
• Westell ProLine G90-611015-20

Modem Router:
• Westell Versalink A90-750015-07
• Actiontec GT704WGB
- Verizon HSI Wireless Gateway Modem/Router DSL-2750B

All of these modems and modem routers have poor reviews, so I would prefer to avoid them if possible.

Am I restricted to the modems that Verizon recommends, or do you guys know of other good modems that I could use that will work with Verizon despite not being recommended by their service?

Thanks for any insight

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
How did you obtain dry loop from Verizon? They decreed last year that all new orders *must* include POTS with it. And, have they stopped giving out modems with new service?
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Haiman

I just asked for dry loop and they oked it. The modem is not included so I am going to buy one myself (the focus of this thread is to see if others have successfully used a better modem that they do not officially support)

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
Where are you located?

Haiman

I'm in the US (California). Does this make a difference on what modems can be used with their service?

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
It used to make a difference if the service location was formerly served by GTE. Many of the modems were not interchangeable for quite some time. I don't know whether that is still the case, or if they've standardized everything by now. You need to refine your question by including what city/zip you're in. If someone is there, or perhaps someone from VZ drops in, they should be able to tell you what is currently known to work.

Also, please research and post relevant links whether your area still has laws requiring telcos to provide dry loop without voice service. That's the only reason you could have gotten the service. If not, then you can be pretty sure that VZ will eventually figure it out and slap voice on.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Haiman

Ok, for the 1st part of your question I am in Santa Fe springs (zip code 90670)

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Haiman
said by Haiman:

The list of compatible modems is:

Modems*
• Westell ProLine G90-610015-20
• Westell ProLine G90-611015-20

Modem Router:
• Westell Versalink A90-750015-07
• Actiontec GT704WGB
- Verizon HSI Wireless Gateway Modem/Router DSL-2750B

All of these modems and modem routers have poor reviews, so I would prefer to avoid them if possible.

Am I restricted to the modems that Verizon recommends, or do you guys know of other good modems that I could use that will work with Verizon despite not being recommended by their service?

#1 This is what I would do.

a) Get one of the Westell modem combos (G90-610015-20 or A90-750015-07)

b) Get my own RJ-45 WAN port router.

c) Then follow »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

#2 Since the Westell 6100 has only one ethernet port to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem combo, I point to »Re: how to access modem settings in bridge mode? which starts off with every possible option I have heard/read about and tried and then goes options that I have only heard/read about.

#3 Since the Westell A90-750015-07 has four LAN ports to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem combo, one does not have to add a hub/switch between the modem combo and the RJ-45 WAN port router. (Direct link to this option for a modem combo with only one RJ-45 LAN port »Re: how to access modem settings in bridge mode? )

#4 If you choose the Westell G90-611015-20 then to to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem, then it is one of two possible ways:

Option one: Direct connection to the DSL modem

OR

Option number two - This Setup

a) A hub connected between the DSL modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router

b) A computer with a wired NIC connected to the hub that is connected between the DSL modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router.

c) To get on-line with the computer that is connected to that hub, that computer must have two NICs and the NICs have to be in two subnets.

For example the one that was connected to the hub had 192.168.0.9 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the one that was connected by wire or without wireless to the RJ-45 WAN port router has 192.168.1.9 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

-> And then for example using »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »What is the Westell Modem Browser and how can I interpret it's results? (if on Windows)

or a Mac, Unix/Linux tool if not on Windows

a) »sourceforge.net/projects/wdiag/

b) »adslm.dohrenburg.net/linux/linux.php

c) »brightrain.aerifal.cx/~niklata/d···ats.html

Note the adslm.dohrenburg.net and the brightrain.aerifal.cx site have the details of why on Windows one has to use the Westell Modem Browser.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

lunghd

join:2011-02-13
Elliston, VA
reply to Haiman
I just ditched my Westell 7500 for an ActionTec GT784WNV that I bought on Amazon for $50. It was a 'new, no box' item & with the built in 'Quick Start' menu it was up & running with almost zero effort. The GT784WN (non-Verizon unit) is also available dirt cheap but takes a few more minutes to set up according to the reviews from Verizon users on Amazon. I didn't feel like messing with all that so just grabbed the Verizon 'official' unit.

I've just started scratching the surface with the settings but the user interface / GUI is a lot more user friendly than the Westell gateway. Wireless b/g/n, simplified QOS, more intuitive menus when logged in, EASY set up - I was online again in about 5 minutes using the Verizon username etc from my Westell.

Easy to set up a DMZ for gaming consoles if you don't want to fool with services or nat settings - easiest I've ever set up the 360 & been online. Has XBOX services built in if you go that route but don't know if all the ports for XBL & chat etc are pre-set.

Stronger wireless signal through house & multi-channel wireless N which the 7500 didn't have at all.

Downsides:
- Westell unit allowed you to name devices easily - "Basement computer, Dad's Laptop, etc etc" but I haven't found a way to do that through the ActionTec yet.
- It's not wall mountable like the old 7500 so I'll have to fab up something there.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to DC DSL
said by DC DSL:

It used to make a difference if the service location was formerly served by GTE. Many of the modems were not interchangeable for quite some time. I don't know whether that is still the case, or if they've standardized everything by now. You need to refine your question by including what city/zip you're in. If someone is there, or perhaps someone from VZ drops in, they should be able to tell you what is currently known to work.

Also, please research and post relevant links whether your area still has laws requiring telcos to provide dry loop without voice service. That's the only reason you could have gotten the service. If not, then you can be pretty sure that VZ will eventually figure it out and slap voice on.

Last year when Verizon forced the issue, Corporate insisted to me that the rule did not apply to California. Couldn't get them to commit to it on paper, they were surly and obnoxious, much like the old GTE management teams they replaced. But I never had cause to test them on it.

little_blain

join:2001-11-01
Mountain Lakes, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Haiman
I wouldn't get the westell 6100. I've used the westell 6100 and 7500 and the actiontec on 2 different lines. The 7500, provisioned for 3Mbps service, pulled 3Mpbs consistently and rarely gave me problems, and the wifi range was excellent.

Between the 6100 and the actiontec, which I've used on the same line, the 6100 was very picky on what outlet it was plugged into and rarely did it give me the max speed I was provisioned for. I now use the actiontec which has been rock solid. Also, the user interface on the 6100 is difficult to navigate.

Good luck. I wish I could still get dry loop.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to Haiman
One of the best ISP issue modems was the SBC issue Siemens SpeedStream 4100b (with the SS 4100 a close second). Only caveat is that the modem is ADSL only; but it is good for the max legacy SBC 6016/768 tier.

It can run a PPPoE session, or it can be bridged; the latter probably required on DHCP service. I have one (SS4100) still running after eight years. It is in place on an ADSL2+ line (at 9,156 feet, the newer ZTE 831II ADSL2+ modem does no better); bridged, on a DHCP service with a D-Link DIR-655 router.

It should be possible to find used on eBay, or the like.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

sgthomas

join:2003-02-27
Santa Monica, CA
reply to DC DSL
I just spoke with them yesterday. The answer is NO! Get a list from them of the 'compatibles'.
--
To be of words & not of deeds is like a garden full of weeds...