spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sailtime

@bhn.net

Best Choice Replacing BHN Modem

Just received a notice that BHN will start charging for the modem they have provided.

1)Would like to purchase and not rent, do you have a modem you prefer on the list provided by BHN?

2)Do you have a specific place you prefer to purchase, online or brick and mortar?

Thanks,
Gary

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

I highly suggest you take a look at the approved modems list before purchasing your own modem.
»support.brighthouse.com/article/···ce-9109/
If something happens like lightning strike or something BHN will replace the provided modem free of charge. If you buy your own you will not get support for it if something goes wrong.
With that said I highly recommend the Motorola SB6141 i love it to death
Make sure you buy the WHITE model of the SB6141 it has the newer firmware on it.
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5 Motorola SB6141

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to sailtime

said by sailtime :

Just received a notice that BHN will start charging for the modem they have provided.

1)Would like to purchase and not rent, do you have a modem you prefer on the list provided by BHN?

2)Do you have a specific place you prefer to purchase, online or brick and mortar?

Thanks,
Gary

Just to clarify the modem fee is nothing new. If you received a letter it means we probably made an error and you wern't properly charged originally. As Tim provided above you may select any of the modems on our approved modems list. I realize everyone is trying to save money but spend the extra couple of bucks and get a D3 capable device. If you have phone service with us as well whatever modem you choose will need to be an MTA also otherwise you will still pay the modem fee.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

3 edits
reply to sailtime

said by sailtime :

Thanks,
Gary

The Arris TG852 and TG862 has the best Wi-Fi Range compared to the Motorola SBG6580 IMHO.

Both Arris Modem's have two RJ11 Telephone port's as well. The Motorola has none so you would need a second modem to at has the MTA for Phone service, that is if you have Digital Phone Service with BHN.

You can see the size difference in the Picture's more surface area on Arris. lol

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to sailtime

Surface area means nothing if the antenna size is the same. You make the assumption that the case is used as the antenna which is not the case.

bigdaddy

I have used both modem's and I can tell you form my experience with both that the Arris gave me full Wi-Fi signal bars throughout my whole home vs the Motorola.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

I would disagree with that.. the Motorola's are by far my favorite modem on the list. the Arris is the best d3 mta in my opinion but if I didnt have phone, id stick with the motorola

bigdaddy

Well let's see what happens now that Arris owns Motorola Home.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bigdaddy

said by bigdaddy:

I have used both modem's and I can tell you form my experience with both that the Arris gave me full Wi-Fi signal bars throughout my whole home vs the Motorola.

What works for one may not work for another. You are basing your opinion on your experience within your home however user experience will vary. Those reading this thread should keep this in mind and form no opinions based on a specific users experience as your experience will likely not equal that of another as it applies to wifi.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Bulls729

join:2007-05-03
Orlando, FL

4 edits
reply to sailtime

said by sailtime :

Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

First and foremost let's break down some costs' for you. Mind you I also own my own modem but wish to present to you an unbiased answer that gives advantages to both sides.

At $3.50 a month here's the return, mind you Comcast and other providers if I'm not mistaken charge ~$7:

Months:
6: $21
12: $42
18: $63
24: $84

Provider Side Advantages:

BHN includes lifetime support within that lease (Ie: As long as your an active paying customer), for example, modem breaks, lightning/surge, corrupted software (rare). You call and get a replacement., which can be same-day if you go into a BHN retail location, or ~1-2 days for a truck roll. If you purchase your own modem, dependent on the manufacturer and where you bought it your support on it can be as low as 60 days to 1 year and it is limited, after that you are on your own. Also if you are covered, it may take 1-2 weeks to get a turn around on repairs or replacement, unless Advanced Replacement is offered.

Owned Equipment Advantage:
If you plan to stay with BHN or if you move and you stay with cable you will see an ROI after some time.

Personally I don't like Gateway devices that offer an All-in-One solutions (Modem/WiFi). I purchased a new SB6141 for $67 from eBay seller "modems-modems." So I will see my ROI after 19 months, which is ok since I anticipate staying with BHN and I will then start seeing savings after that.

Now to the modems:

If you already have a WiFi AP/Router: I recommend a Motorola SB6141 standalone modem.

If you want a full 1 year manufacturer warranty, purchase it from a retailer such as Amazon. Amazon currently has the black (Brown Box) modem for $76, from their reviews this device come with FW 1.0.6.8.

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-SurfBoar···07IMPMW4

If you don't care about the warranty, you can get the 6141 for $67 through eBay, this has FW 1.0.6.6: »www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorola-Su···72681997 use Best Offer, it will automatically accept $67 (I can only confirm this since last week when it worked for me

If you prefer the White (Consumer/Retail) version, with 1-Year, purchase from Newegg, Amazon, or BestBuy. These modems ship with FW 1.0.6.10:

$90.87: »www.amazon.com/Motorola-SurfBoar···_cp_pc_0

$90.99: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···25390001

$99.99: »www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola+-+···p=1&lp=1

(If you find it in Best Buy, and don't mind the tax, they will Price Match Amazon and NewEgg.)

If you Prefer an "All-in-One" just WiFi: I recommend a Motorola SBG6580, supports up to 802.11n, same warranty rules apply:

$102.49 (Brown Box): »www.amazon.com/Motorola-SBG6580-···=sbg6580

$122.14 (Retail Box): »www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboar···_cp_pc_0

However if you choose to go this route, I recommend waiting, Motorola just released the SBG6782, an 802.11ac Gateway and it may appear on the approved list some time in the future, this is a pretty good one in my opionion if approved as it has built in MoCA if you use it, (essentially allowing wired access through your home with MoCA AP's without having to run CAT5/6)

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola+-+···p=1&lp=4

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS NOW, IT IS NOT ON THE SUPPORTED LIST AT THIS TIME

(This demonstrates why you should go with separate modem and AP as it allows you to upgrade you AP as times go on versus becoming outdated on an All-in-One)

If you have phone service with BHN, then you will need an All-in-One MTA such as the Arris TG852/62G:

»www.ebay.com/itm/Arris-TG852G-To···d1fce35e

»www.ebay.com/itm/Arris-TG862G-To···d203b06c

Hopefully this answers your question.

bigdaddy

Nice post.

porkrinds
Premium
join:2012-01-26
Brandon, FL
reply to Bulls729

So, if I read correctly, you are basically screwed if you have Home Phone service, in regards to buying your own Cable modem unless you want an all-in-one device (which I don't).

edit: deleted my rant about AIOs.

Bulls729

Orlando, FL

2 edits

said by porkrinds:

So, if I read correctly, you are basically screwed if you have Home Phone service, in regards to buying your own Cable modem unless you want an all-in-one device (which I don't).

Not necessarily, your option would be to place the device into Bridge mode. Essentially making the modem side of things strictly a modem so you can use your own AP without issue or NAT conflicts. But unfortunately to avoid the modem fee for those with BHN phone service you do need an eMTA. Only other way to avoid that is to drop the phone service and go with another VOIP provider. I personally don't use home phone service but if you do go that route I would recommend (based on friends and colleagues) Ooma (»www.ooma.com/), as you pay for the hardware and the service is free (*You just pay the monthly required Taxes and Fees.) Keep in mind, if you do that, you may lose your bundle and/or promotional price.

EDIT: I would also like to add, that if you really wanted to, but IMHO would be a bit messy to an average user and it would just be at this point much simpler to put one of the approved eMTA's in bridge mode. Would be to buy a DOCSIS 3.0 standalone device, then purchase an older approved DOCSIS 2.0 MTA that can be found fairly cheaply on eBay ($15-30) every so often. Have the DOCSIS 3.0 device supply your HSI and the older MTA supply your phone service.

DougHo

join:2012-05-21
Orlando, FL
reply to Bulls729

FYI, my SB6141 uses around 41 cents/month less electricity than bridged SBG6580, so couple months shorter ROI assuming you were already using separate router (or don't need router).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to porkrinds

said by porkrinds:

You can either buy an approved all in one gateway OR you can purchase an approved modem for your data and an approved MTA for your phone. If you shop wisely you could pick up the combination for about the same price as a D3 Gateway (all in one).
--

porkrinds
Premium
join:2012-01-26
Brandon, FL

Hey, thanks. Is there a link to approved standalone MTAs? I know about the approved Modem/AIO link, of course.

I see BHNtechXpert posted this in another place: Arris TG852/862 does the same hold true? I ask because these look like just all-in-one devices which kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks guys.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by porkrinds:

Hey, thanks. Is there a link to approved standalone MTAs? I know about the approved Modem/AIO link, of course.

I see BHNtechXpert posted this in another place: Arris TG852/862 does the same hold true? I ask because these look like just all-in-one devices which kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks guys.

The modem list is a combination of MTA and standalone modems. You will need to google search by model number for exact specs or you can post here and I'll be happy to tell you which is which.
--

sailtime

@bhn.net
reply to Bulls729

Bulls729,

Thanks so much for the excellent response! Answered all my
questions and more.

Thanks also to everyone else that contributed.
G

swbrains

join:2004-04-14
Wesley Chapel, FL

Sorry I'm confused after reading all this... So is it possible to use your own existing router and also purchase a single (third-party) modem-MTA device that does data AND voice in one box but does not have to act as your router so you can still use it with your own router and not have require any BH devices?

After all this reading, I am getting confused thinking that if I bought a modem-MTA combo, I'd have to use it's own built-in router.

Again, sorry for being so thick tonight.

Bulls729

Orlando, FL

said by swbrains:

Sorry I'm confused after reading all this... So is it possible to use your own existing router and also purchase a single (third-party) modem-MTA device that does data AND voice in one box but does not have to act as your router so you can still use it with your own router and not have require any BH devices?

After all this reading, I am getting confused thinking that if I bought a modem-MTA combo, I'd have to use it's own built-in router.

Again, sorry for being so thick tonight.

No need to apologize, all of this can be confusing. So I'll try to break it down more.

Let's say you have BHN HSI and Phone. You wish to own your own equipment to get you connected to avoid the modem fee, and wish to use the least amount of equipment while being able to use your own personal router. What you want is a DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA such as the Arris TG852G or the TG862G there is also an Ubee D3 device but is hard to find. Then once connected and set up you would then request the device to be set up in bridge mode, this allows your own personal router/AP to pull an IP directly and act as the DCHP server for your home and not give any NAT issues.

swbrains

join:2004-04-14
Wesley Chapel, FL

Thanks -- that cleared it right up (and it's what I was hoping to hear).

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

You can either buy an approved all in one gateway OR you can purchase an approved modem for your data and an approved MTA for your phone. If you shop wisely you could pick up the combination for about the same price as a D3 Gateway (all in one).

Can they buy and use an MTA even though they don't currently have phone service?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to sailtime

Yes...the MTA portion would just be disabled.

snowpp22

join:2001-10-23
Lake Mary, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

So can I use a Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 modem and eliminate the Ubee box provided when my service level was increased to 30Mb? I'd really like to get rid of the large box, my network already has battery backup, wireless, firewall, nat...

Thanks,

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by snowpp22:

So can I use a Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 modem and eliminate the Ubee box provided when my service level was increased to 30Mb? I'd really like to get rid of the large box, my network already has battery backup, wireless, firewall, nat...

Thanks,

Do you have phone with us?
--

snowpp22

join:2001-10-23
Lake Mary, FL

No, only 30Mb Internet and digital TV.

Thanks,

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to sailtime