SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Cree LED lamp

Just came from HD with a Cree 60W lamp. I'm assuming that the coating on the lamp is suppose to stay there since it says "Safety Coated Glass".

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

Ooops. A little slip of the utility knife there?

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by mattmag:

Ooops. A little slip of the utility knife there?

My view was, pretty dumb packaging, at least give a warning. Now you are all warned

And it was an xacto knife.
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico."

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by SparkChaser:

My view was, pretty dumb packaging, at least give a warning. Now you are all warned

Some of those hard plastic packages are impossible to open. I hate them.

Have you tried taking it back and complain?

/tom

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by tschmidt:

A very sharp exacto knife can easily make precision cuts around the object in the package.

But... said knives tend to be sold in those packages. So you gotta start with dollar store scissors and work your way up.

Anywho, I have difficulty seeing how damaged is the light bulb. DOes it still work?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Heavy Duty Scissors
said by alkizmo:

A very sharp exacto knife can easily make precision cuts around the object in the package.

My preferred method is to use a pair of heavy duty scissors to cut along the edge and hope for the best.

/tom

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to alkizmo

The piece of plastic which looks like it is a part of the packaging is actually part of the light bulb. Almost half of the top of the light bulb has been "skinned". Could be dangerous to use it as that is evidently the safety coating of the "Safety Coated Glass".

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by robbin:

Could be dangerous to use it as that is evidently the safety coating of the "Safety Coated Glass".

Not really, the safety coated glass is simply there to prevent the lightbulb from shattering into a million glass pieces if you smack it against something. Sort of like the rugged incandescent bulbs. An LED bulb dosen't generate the heat or gasses to justify the coating otherwise.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser

Yes, I'm taking it back. The picture is about an hour after I bought it.

Yes, I still works and looks a lot like a standard lamp.

The coating is confusing (especially after you nick it). I wasn't expecting it and it looks like the material you might see over an LED display to protect it before use not in use.

I blame my education. I went to catholic school and they never taught us how to use scissors.
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by SparkChaser:

Yes, I'm taking it back. The picture is about an hour after I bought it.

Taking it back?????? Are you going to try to get it replaced because of something you did? Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Jack_in_VA:

Taking it back?????? Are you going to try to get it replaced because of something you did? Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Yes, I'm of low moral character and if you read my second post "My view was, pretty dumb packaging".

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to SparkChaser

Yea I never learned how to use scissors, but those Nuns sure did know how to use a ruler.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Yes, I'm of low moral character and if you read my second post "My view was, pretty dumb packaging".

I agree with the pretty dumb packaging but we (at least myself) has had to deal with it for years now. I use heavy duty scissors on it which works very well in most instances.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

Are you going to try to get it replaced because of something you did? Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

I for one have no problem with that.

If the manufacture chooses a package that makes it easy for the customer to damage the product removing it I see no problem having them eat it. That is the only way they will discover the problem and hopefully correct it.

/tom

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

said by tschmidt:

But... said knives tend to be sold in those packages. So you gotta start with dollar store scissors and work your way up.

Anywho, I have difficulty seeing how damaged is the light bulb. DOes it still work?

home hardware has a tool for opening those packages easily... but it comes in one of those packages

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by telco_mtl:

home hardware has a tool for opening those packages easily... but it comes in one of those packages

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by SparkChaser:

said by telco_mtl:

the worst is im not kidding!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to tschmidt

I suggest sending an e-mail to Cree with a link to this thread. The packaging will be improved for the next batch.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by lutful:

I suggest sending an e-mail to Cree with a link to this thread. The packaging will be improved for the next batch.

Yes, if they hired me to test it it be several thousand here they get it for free.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser

I'm getting the urge to defend myself.

As to this problem, I did first go for the scissors but not finding them and anxious to try it I went for the Xacto .

And not a novice to blister packs. I first worked on them for medications in the late 70's. I still hate them

BTW- later in the day, I successfully retrieve an Logitech mouse from it's packaging.

EDIT: I just found the scissors.

--

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to SparkChaser

I'd just peel what's left of the "safety coating" off the bulb and forget about it. Someone has gone a little crazy on the "safety" in the design of this thing.

It'll be no worst than a standard incandescent incandescent light bulb in terms of mechanical (glass breakage) safety.

The bulb might also cool a little bit better without the layer of plastic.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SparkChaser

if you keep it let me know how it is

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to TheMG

Most likely the plastic coating is only intended to provide mechanical safety but that isn't the only possible reason for it.

The plastic coating could be part of the filter to block UV light generated in the remote phosphor led bulb. On the other hand glass is typically a better UV blocker then plastic but in both cases it depends on the exact composition of the material.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

if you keep it let me know how it is

I'm going to return it today and then put it in service. If you want to see a comparison take a look here. Great examples of light distribution.

Comparing light patterns for Cree, Philips LED bulbs
»www.designingwithleds.com/compar···d-bulbs/
--

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to leibold

said by leibold:

Most likely the plastic coating is only intended to provide mechanical safety but that isn't the only possible reason for it.

The plastic coating could be part of the filter to block UV light generated in the remote phosphor led bulb. On the other hand glass is typically a better UV blocker then plastic but in both cases it depends on the exact composition of the material.

The Cree is not a remote phosphor design. Even so, the light closest to UV (but not UV) comes from the LED not the phosphor.

--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SparkChaser

My mom has not been happy with any of the CFL's for one thing her lamp shades I think the plastic inside is getting darker over time so it cuts down on the light that exits the lamp shade.

I need something like a 100W equivalent

cmslick3

join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL
reply to SparkChaser

Hey just ran across this thread after changing out all the CFL's in the house to these LED's. My wife has an unnatural obsession with all things LED lighting. I like the light output and the color is very much like old filament bulbs. I have noticed that these bulbs run a little cooler than other comparable LED's.

A word about the packaging. I had absolutely NO issue opening these seemingly difficult packages. If you rip the paper packaging from the hanging slot down towards the bulb the plastic capsule that holds it can be pulled right out. The capsule is two pieces which simply pull apart.

cmslick3

join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL
reply to SparkChaser

Hey just ran across this thread after changing out all the CFL's in the house to these LED's. My wife has an unnatural obsession with all things LED lighting. I like the light output and the color is very much like old filament bulbs. I have noticed that these bulbs run a little cooler than other comparable LED's.

A word about the packaging. I had absolutely NO issue opening these seemingly difficult packages. If you rip the paper packaging from the hanging slot down towards the bulb the plastic capsule that holds it can be pulled right out. The capsule is two pieces which simply pull apart.