share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Grass planting question

I was was wondering to know how should I go about this.. my late uncle for some reason (must of been flooding) dug a deep hole right in front of the basement door and put a metal grate over it.. well it prevents the basement door from opening more then 60 degrees.

If I want to plant grass seed what should I use to fill up the hole?

Any seeds I should be looking for? Basement flooding is no longer an issue because I have the drain draining away from the door now.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Your post certainly didn't provide a lot of specifics, but let's start here. Just fill the hole up with dirt, except for the top 3 to 4 inches, it doesn't really matter what type of dirt. The top layer should be good topsoil, if the area is small enough, you can buy it in bags at any of the big box stores. Your seed selection will depend on the level of shade in the area as well as what type of grass the rest of your lawn is. If it's heavily shaded Creeping Red Fescue is a very good choice. If it's not shaded any kind of turf type Fescue or Bluegrass should work fine.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Sorry, it's not that large of an area just the side of the house only concern is it can get kind of muddy in that area when it rains. I'm not too sure what the front lawn is (also small) but it seems to have thinned out as well too since last year.

I think this hole is one of those large meter boxes my uncle just put in the ground to just hold water so it would not go in the basement, but then again having the gutter spout face the basement door was a little odd...

I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.
--

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY
reply to Subaru

It was a really small area, you may be better off getting a piece or 2 of sod to put on top of the dirt. That would provide a much free area much quicker. Most of the big box stores sell sod at a reasonable price, if you're only doing a small area.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Pictures of the side area

and the hole

front yard area

--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

It was a really small area, you may be better off getting a piece or 2 of sod to put on top of the dirt. That would provide a much free area much quicker. Most of the big box stores sell sod at a reasonable price, if you're only doing a small area.

So you still think I should go with sod on the side?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY

said by Subaru:

said by Msradell:

So you still think I should go with sod on the side?

For such a small area I would. It gets rid of the mud problem immediately and guarantees a good stand of grass. Starting grass in the spring is always risky (fall is the preferred time), so sod will avoid that problem. For a small area, the cost of sod is not won't be cost prohibitive.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

And it can't hurt to lay down some soil I suppose? From what I read sod has to be watered daily for about a month or so? I don't want to risk over watering as well.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

said by Subaru:

And it can't hurt to lay down some soil I suppose? From what I read sod has to be watered daily for about a month or so? I don't want to risk over watering as well.

Definitely, put down some soil 1st and make sure that the new slope in the area allows water to drain away from the house! You only need to water daily for about the 1st week, then every couple of days.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Thanks, I fixed the issue with how the water was draining from the gutter but the ground in this area will for sure need to be leveled a bit which is not a big deal.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

I wouldn't be surprised if the box had holes in the bottom and had originally been filled with gravel before soil was washed into the box.

If so, it was a home brew drywell to catch rain water and let it soak into the ground. He probably used the grate rather than running an underground pipe from the downspout.

See »www.instructables.com/id/55-gall···ry-well/
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by EGeezer:

I wouldn't be surprised if the box had holes in the bottom and had originally been filled with gravel before soil was washed into the box.

If so, it was a home brew drywell to catch rain water and let it soak into the ground. He probably used the grate rather than running an underground pipe from the downspout.

See »www.instructables.com/id/55-gall···ry-well/

Maybe but I highly doubt it since I never saw any other pipe related to the drainage..

It's been this way for I don't know how long.. 15+ years or so..
--