Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 edit

2 recommendations

CapSavvy v4.2 released!

downloadCapSavvy_4_2.zip 73,515 bytes
CapSavvy is a tool that can retrieve your data transfer usage from most independent ISPs and displays it in your system tray (on the start bar next to the clock in the corner of your screen). This release updates CapSavvy for the new era of ISPs that don't bill for upstream, among other things.

Changelog
- Fixed TekSavvy DSL regex
- Added option to show "Down" and "Down/Predicted" in tray to reflect some ISPs not charging for upload
- Added ability for usage modules to override default timer interval. Default is 30min, Videotron is 120min.

Here is the list of supported usage checker modules (ISPs) in alphabetical order:

- Caneris DSL
- Electronic Box Business DSL
- Electronic Box Residential DSL
- Start Communications Cable
- Start Communications DSL
- Start Communications Wireless
- Start Communications Wholesale Cable
- Start Communications Wholesale DSL
- Start Communications Wholesale Wireless
- TekSavvy DSL
- Videotron TPIA (includes cable from most ISPs like TekSavvy or eBox)

CapSavvy will automatically select the appropriate module based on the username you enter. Start is a special case, in order to use CapSavvy you must visit »www.start.ca/support/capsavvy from your Start internet connection and copy the code it gives you (fake e-mail address) into CapSavvy.

If you have a problem getting your usage for any ISPs, our you are an ISP who wants your usage information supported by CapSavvy, please let me know! Or feel free to implement a usage checker module for CapSavvy yourself and send me the .cs file for it and I'll include it in the next release. There's a quick and dirty dev guide included plus the existing examples.

EDIT: FYI, source code is included, it's under the GPLv2 license.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
Excellent update, thanks for your hard work on this.

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada
Yep, thanks for this.

Just started using it since rocca doesn't let me use as much bandwidth as i want any more

could you make options for auto start (with Windows) and to start minimized in system tray ?

Also, i think that you should start accepting donations (paypal) for this project as well, you kick ass with stuff you provide to us.

Thanks

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

+1.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

2 edits
reply to Guspaz
I always feel terrible about taking donations for this sort of stuff because then I feel like I'm shirking some responsibility if I don't update it regularly (CapSavvy was first released in 2007 so sometimes years went by between updates), or if it sucks. I'm much happier just getting lots of feedback. I try not to obsessively refresh threads to check for replies after I post new software :P

In terms of the feature requests:

Minimize to tray on start: It already does, it will only pop up the window when launched if there is no username entered. So normally the first time. Once you've got a username entered (settings are saved in the registry), it'll start in the tray next time.

Start with windows: Might try to include that, but you can just put a shortcut to the thing in your startup folder. Drag it into the "Startup" folder in your start menu under programs.

EDIT: For fun, I found the original release thread for v1.0 and v1.1 from 2007: »Taskbar Usage Checker [RELEASED v1.1]
--

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON
reply to Guspaz
Thanks for this Guspaz, works great with start

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to Guspaz
Thanks Guspaz. Working fine here now.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to Guspaz
Thanks for your continued work on this outstanding tool.

Mike

DrugTito

canada
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I always feel terrible about taking donations for this sort of stuff because then I feel like I'm shirking some responsibility if I don't update it regularly (CapSavvy was first released in 2007 so sometimes years went by between updates), or if it sucks. I'm much happier just getting lots of feedback. I try not to obsessively refresh threads to check for replies after I post new software :P

In terms of the feature requests:

Minimize to tray on start: It already does, it will only pop up the window when launched if there is no username entered. So normally the first time. Once you've got a username entered (settings are saved in the registry), it'll start in the tray next time.

Start with windows: Might try to include that, but you can just put a shortcut to the thing in your startup folder. Drag it into the "Startup" folder in your start menu under programs.

EDIT: For fun, I found the original release thread for v1.0 and v1.1 from 2007: »Taskbar Usage Checker [RELEASED v1.1]

Yea, i understand what you are saying, but, all this requires lots of YOUR FREE time, you are HELPING customers and BIG ISP's.

I am sure that both CUSTOMER and ISPs could donate for your work.

If this was simple, easy to do, everybody would be making that, and would have it before you released it.

Something like this (in my opinion) is a MUST for ISPs that offer limited service, so, i THINK :P that ISPs like Start, Teksavvy, Electronicbox, etc. should work with you closely on improving scripts like this.

Please do not understand me wrong, but, in my opinion as i already said, you kick ass with stuff that you provide to ppl here.

As for Windows features, thanks for even considering that

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Well, some of the ISPs have worked with me in order to develop the modules for their ISPs. Rocca from Start and Erik formerly of Caneris were who got me the info needed for those. eBox and Videotron TPIA were done by asking for people to let me see their usernames or account number (however the ISPs implemented it) to get it done. I think I got the list of eBox's PPPoE realms from JF? Don't recall.

TSI did give us some perks for the MLPPP development work, that was nice. But that sort of thing was something that ISPs were actively using to serve customers and attract business, while something like CapSavvy isn't, it's just a useful thing to their customers.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Actually, looking at my code for mod_start_fdsl.cs (which is the base class for all the start modules), I'm doing a bad job parsing the API response from start. I should be breaking it up into key/value pairs (instead of using a fixed regex) so that it doesn't care about changes in order/number of parameters.

And on that point, start doesn't currently report peak versus off-peak bandwidth (available fields are DL, UL, and TOTAL). Are there any plans to add new fields for differentiating between peak and off-peak bandwidth, now that start differentiates? Customers using CapSavvy will currently be seeing their total bandwidth rather than billable bandwidth.
--

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Guspaz:

And on that point, start doesn't currently report peak versus off-peak bandwidth (available fields are DL, UL, and TOTAL). Are there any plans to add new fields for differentiating between peak and off-peak bandwidth, now that start differentiates? Customers using CapSavvy will currently be seeing their total bandwidth rather than billable bandwidth.

Sure no problem.

I don't want to break what you have so let me know when you change the regex around and I'll append a ",FREE=xyz" to the existing output. If they aren't eligible for the free window (ie legacy) I can either leave that parameter off or just set it to 0 - either way just let me know and I'll get that updated.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
I'm going to change it to proper parsing for Start so that it doesn't care the order of parameters, but the existing regex doesn't care about start/end of string. So as long as the "old" part still matches this pattern:

DL=(\d+),UL=(\d+),TOTAL=(\d+)

then existing clients will keep working. That is to say you can add any new parameters before/after what's there today, the new version of CapSavvy will pick up the new data, and the old versions will ignore the new data.

From my side of things, I'm not sure that the FREE field by itself would be useful unless it was also accompanied by the off-peak usage data; there's no functional difference to CapSavvy between "supports off-peak but only reports peak" and "doesn't support off-peak". Either way the only useful data it could report to the user would be the peak usage.

As such, what would be desirable would be to go from the current format:

DL=50,UL=50,TOTAL=100

To this format:
DL=50,UL=50,TOTAL=100,FREE=1,DLFREE=25,ULFREE=25,TOTALFREE=25

where DL/UL/TOTAL is the peak usage and DLFREE/ULFREE/TOTALFREE are the off-peak usage. If that information isn't being tracked (IE you implemented your free window by simply turning off tracking entirely during the window), then the current version of CapSavvy is already doing the "right thing" in that the information it already displays is the billable values.
--

Theriex

join:2010-09-19
Ottawa, ON
I added a Start With Windows option to the program if anyone is interested. Hopefully that's cool, i'm not going to try to wrap my head around the legal mumbojumbo of the GPLv2 License.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
The basic gist of the GPLv2 is "if you distribute original or derivative binaries, you've got to distribute the source or an offer of the source along with them". There's a lot of subtleties beyond that, but that's the heart of it.
--

Theriex

join:2010-09-19
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I'll prolly just use it myself anyways and wait for you to include the Start With Windows code. I just added/removed a registry entry under Run for Capsavvy and did some verification checks. Only took a couple minutes to throw it in. Not sure if you'd do it another way but I noticed you were using the registry for the other settings so I just followed suit.

weales

join:2002-06-30
Hampton, ON
reply to Guspaz
Works great with EB. Last version was giving me NA/NA when using EB but worked fine on Tek.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

As such, what would be desirable would be to go from the current format:

DL=50,UL=50,TOTAL=100

To this format:
DL=50,UL=50,TOTAL=100,FREE=1,DLFREE=25,ULFREE=25,TOTALFREE=25

No problem, done.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
Thanks, I'll try to get a new version out this weekend. Also, math fail, apparently from my example I think 25+25=25
--

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Well, at least it wasn't 'incumbent costing math', ie 25+25=100.

DrugTito

canada
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Thanks, I'll try to get a new version out this weekend. Also, math fail, apparently from my example I think 25+25=25

Are we going to see any new "featuers" ?

mlauzon

join:2009-07-06
Toronto, ON
reply to Guspaz
Will this work with Acanac?
--
Michael

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Woops, forgot all about this. No, won't work with Acanac, unless they have a usage checker I can add support for.

Should probably release the updated version.

AlmostBroke

join:2009-11-24
reply to Guspaz
Invalid Username.

How am I messing this up? We're suppose to use the Portal username, right?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
For which ISP? It depends, but it's generally your PPPoE username, except for Start, where you go to a special page (»www.start.ca/support/capsavvy) and it spits out a login to paste into CapSavvy.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Well, at least it wasn't 'incumbent costing math', ie 25+25=###

Fixed it.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to Guspaz
Ahhh, in the original thread Angelo was there... Oh how I miss him shiming in and "downloading the interwebs".
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

Cubytus

join:2007-08-24
reply to Guspaz
PC only... not useful for me.

Why not release this application as a patch for the Tomato firmware you helped improve? MLPPP is not necessary anymore, but we could still use the router for that.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Tomato can already track usage that flows directly through it, and an application designed to show your usage in the system tray doesn't really make any sense in a web interface. There are already some apps for tracking usage on other platforms such as OS X. Although I do have a Mac, I haven't tried any of them.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

fred999

join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to Guspaz
Hi and thanks for creating and sharing this!

I have a question about the Predicted. If I look at, for example, my peak down on the 10th of the month, let's say it's 50G, I would expect the peak predicted would be 3x 50 = 150G. But that's not what it says.

What's the algorithm you're using to calculate the predicted?

Thanks again.