IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[availability] Noticed some fiber build-out in Maine

I was driving through South Portland/Scarborough on US 1 (south of the Maine Mall) and I noticed Fiber Optic lines (exactly the same lines used in FiOS buildouts in Mass) hanging from the poles along the way (only looked at them when I was stopped). Is this a sign that FairPoint might be brewing their own flavor of FiOS or upgrading their network. My Grandma lives in Biddeford and it would be nice to get FTTP at her house.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt

MVM

My guess is that is fiber back haul so called middle-mile fiber.

I think FairPoint has their hands full simply expanding DSL, I'd be surprised if they were rolling out FTTP, but I have no insider knowledge. One can always hope.

/tom

BOGBS
Premium Member
join:2004-05-11

BOGBS to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I doubt it, as well. It's probably either middle mile, or Oxford Networks. They probably have the largest FTTP network in Maine (mostly near businesses). While they do some residential, they primarily cater to businesses. Other CLECs/TWC do some minimal FTTP, and almost exclusively cater to businesses.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

When I use the Wi-Fi at Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford (due to poor VZW reception in the hospital), DSLR does not know who their provider is but it thinks its Oxford networks.
modem_reset
join:2010-05-27

modem_reset to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Most hospitals have dual wan links, load balanced and with failover protection.

I would assume one would be telco, (att/verizon/oxford networks/gwi/mci etc), the other would be cable co (twc). That is how I would do it as they are separate technologies, and most likely very different routes...I would go as far as putting one link on one end of the campus and the other in the other end...

again
@rr.com

again to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
There is fiber all over Maine, it's called the 3 ring binder, North, East and west.
modem_reset
join:2010-05-27

modem_reset

The vast majority of maine has fiber going to it.

I'm 90% sure that each branch office of the phone company has an uplink to their central office that is fiber.

I know that each area served by cable has fiber going to it as well (as cable is hybrid fiber-coax).

I know that Oxford networks in Lewiston/auburn areas and portland areas also has fiber..
Vertigo101
join:2012-06-13
Farmington, ME

Vertigo101

To bad Chesterville will never see fiber optic ;(