Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1

[OR] Portland Fleet Week

I get the budget issues but....

The Navy already decided not to come. »www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/ ··· 20130412

Now the Coast Guard isn't coming either. »www.kgw.com/news/local/Coast-Gua ··· 871.html

I wonder if the Canadians are still coming. The thing is this is going to hugely impact the Rose Festival. While the ships are only part of the attractions for those coming to the Festival, those ships bring a lot of sailors who spend their money in Portland while on shore leave. This is going to have a huge economic impact on the city. It's rather sad.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Please help AnySoldier
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
said by Gizy:

It's rather sad.

It is.

Brazbit
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Gizy
Seafair is having the same issue in Seattle.

Blue Angels have pulled out but a civilian group has been brought in to replace them: »www.kirotv.com/news/news/new-air ··· l/nW53k/ "The cancellation of the Blue Angels' entire 35-city schedule will help the Navy slash $4 billion from its budget." - Kiro

The US Navy has pulled their ships as well but the Canadian navy will still participate: »www.kirotv.com/news/news/blue-an ··· r/nXGt6/ "Every year, Fleet Week brings thousands of sailors and spectators to the waterfront, injecting an estimated $50 million dollars into the local economy." - Kiro
--
That why they make smart word box for tell monkey hard brain hurty things.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
You could probably get the north Korean navy for the price of fuel and food.
Somehow the "cut cost at any cost" political groups don't seem to understand how expensive it could turn out to be in the long run as well as the instant disruption factor.
Having talked to a number of sailors/soldiers/airmen during previous fleet week/seafair events I know it's a feel good event for them to display their "job skills" as well as entertaining to the public.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1
reply to Brazbit
I saw the Patriots in Hillsboro a could of years ago. They are good and they were fun to watch.

But nothing beats the site (and sound) of an F-18 screaming overhead to start the show off. Granted with the Air National Guard unit at PDX, I'm sure they could have (another) jet start the show. National Guard would just call it a training exercise. That being said, I wonder what the National Guard is going to do on July 4th. They usually run at least one jet from PDX, south to the state line, north and loop through Clark County and home. It would be a shame if they had to cancel that as well.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Please help AnySoldier
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Brazbit
The air show here got cancelled because the government cut a lot of things that are in it and on the ground.