join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA

1 edit

Weird local gateway behaviour

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Recently things have been intermittently sluggish (even to Verizon speed tests), and looking at my firewall graphs, I see something odd which I'm not too sure if it's network congestion or something else going on. My overall ping response to the first hop outside my firewall dropped down to 5ms starting in March literaly overnight. However, what's odd is on what looks like regular interval, I'm seeing a spike up to 20ms. I checked and during these periods of time, sometimes no one is home, or asleep, and usually *no* traffic is occurring for downloads or anything. If it was congestion, etc I would think it would be during peak times. Check out the pattern, something hardware-wise failing somewhere?

EDIT:
Few details...
Firewall is Pfsense, on an Atom CPU box with Realtek gigabit nics board. System itself pretty idle most of the time.
CAT5e to ONT (BPON) not running coax.
I have rebooted the ONT to see if something there but no change.

Thanks!

-Mike

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA
Also Internet and Phone service only, no TV.

-Mike

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
Click for full size
I get the same here most of the time. Don't know if its just how the equipment is made to no care about ICMP. But its pretty consistent so I can't say it means congestion.

*EDIT*
Just started a new chart using UDP for pings and its much more stable and lower.

Over the same time frame from last night till now, my ICMP chart like posted above has an average of 4.56ms while the new UDP ping chart has an average of 2.45ms

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA
Thanks the reply, can't tell if pfsense is using UDP or not for it's ping. I guess it could be pretty normal, the oscillation in the graph is what struck me as odd and so sudden. I also think my IP changed during that period of time, so wondering if that could be part of it (i.e. just different behaviour of this gateway vs the previous.) This weekend I hope to swap out the Realtek network board for a Intel based one, curious to see if maybe somehow it's an issue with hardware. I've seen a few times now that system will slow down, and *sometimes* rebooting the firewall speeds stuff up(i.e. I go from 20mbps up to 83mbps though upstream is always perfect at 38mbps). After I reboot the firewall I typically keep the same IP. Before I reboot the firewall CPU is pretty idle, and barely any outgoing/incoming connections according to the logs (usually well less than 1% of total available firewall state table).

I like FIOS, but it seems a lot more temperamental than my Comcast connection I had for 10 years at my previous residence.

-Mike

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
The first hop is always temperamental and if I am right, will not affect your speeds unless the PON card is messed up - and if that is the case, it will affect everyone connected to it.

pfSense uses ICMP which is why its like that. ICMP as people say, its very low priority. Maybe thats why my UDP pings have less packet loss and lower latency on my new chart now.

But either way, My speeds are for now perfect at around 154 down, 69 up.

pfSense 2.0.3 as a VM inside ESXi 5.1
Athlon X6 1090T @ 3.8ghz. Dual port Intel Pro1000 NIC.

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA
Thank you, I appreciate the info. I had wondered if maybe the PON card was causing some of the strangeness (why upstream is always perfect while downstream will slow down.)

-Mike

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA
reply to mloebl
As a follow up... I think pfSense is a bit off with that report. I've been waiting to catch it when pfSense was reporting high. Right now pfSense says it's average 31ms reponse, during that same period:

101 packets transmitted, 101 received, 0% packet loss, time 100150ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 2.853/4.335/13.881/1.286 ms

So IOW, you're right, nothing to worry about

-Mike