uniqs

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

4 recommendations

Sunny

Re: I am so sorry

Ten weeks/five days post op:

I am cleared for PWB (partial weight bearing,) 25% for two weeks, stop if I feel pain. If that goes well, then 50% for the next two weeks, same rules. More xrays in 4 wks and then, probably, FWB.

He didn't measure, but watched while I showed off leg bend (flexion) and extension, was very pleased with my ROM, said I am well beyond where I really have to be to start this and it should get better as I relearn how to walk.

I am making myself wait until tomorrow until my homecare PT comes to help me figure out how to start this.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

squirt

MVM

Wonderful!

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
Excellent news! Sounds like you've been working hard.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Actually, I have felt like I was slacking. It's hard to know what is good hurt, what is bad until you know you are healing. Perhaps what has helped me most is the fact I worked out rather regularly in the years before the accident.

Oh, I couldn't resist taking a few quick steps on that leg with walker assist tonight. It felt good to put the foot down. I really should wait for the PT before I do too much, though.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

rusdi

MVM

said by Sunny:

Oh, I couldn't resist taking a few quick steps on that leg with walker assist tonight. It felt good to put the foot down. I really should wait for the PT before I do too much, though.

OK!!!!
You don't wanna re-injure that leg joint, do ya?
How would you like to start all over, after yet ANOTHER surgery?

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

2 recommendations

howieh

MVM

I think that's Sister Margaret from my grammar school days. Most nuns would beat you with a ruler, Sister Margaret would punch the kids in the mouth.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

2 recommendations

Sunny to rusdi

to rusdi
No worries, Russie. Doc did say stop at pain. I didn't have any.

Also, my PT actually has given me a couple of demonstrations of what it looks like starting PWB with walker assist, so I'm reasonably certain I didn't hurt anything.

I will keep a sharp lookout for Howie's Sister Margaret, however!

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

said by Sunny:

... my PT actually has given me a couple of demonstrations of what it looks like starting PWB ...

That's reassuring.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

3 recommendations

Sunny

Everyone can relax. I have done 11 weeks being helpless and often feeling hopeless waiting for the bones to heal enough to let me start walking. There is no way I would throw that away.

In my case, because of the injury and a couple of other conditions preceding the accident, this is probably a one-shot deal. It either works or it doesn't. If it does not, then I am most likely looking at TKR (total knee replacement). I know very little about that, but my doc seems to think it isn't the best solution right now for me, if we can make this work.

Being aware of that has kept me careful.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
Out Grazing

squirt

MVM

said by Sunny:

Everyone can relax. I have done 11 weeks being helpless and often feeling hopeless waiting for the bones to heal enough to let me start walking. There is no way I would throw that away.

Speaking as someone who once re-broke a bone while it was still in a cast, I say that you have the right attitude there!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 recommendation

Sunny

It can always happen by accident and we all have them. There are a couple of good support areas on the web specifically for tibial plateau fractures. I am amazed how many more risks the young ones are willing to take compared to me.

How did you do that, anyway?

-------
My homecare PT came over late morning as soon as she got the report on me and helped me practice what I'm doing the next two weeks, in addition to the exercise routine I already have.

I want to keep going and going, it feels so good to be able to even pretend to walk now, see that I can still get the coordination going. I'm taking it easy to start. Short periods of my new "walking," then feet up, trying to gauge how much is too much, how much is not.

Having a happy day, but at 4pm I'm getting pretty tired. Such a wimp.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
Out Grazing

squirt

MVM

said by Sunny:

How did you do that, anyway?

Glad to hear you're having a happy day!

As for my mishap, I had a cast on my hand and made a lunging catch of a big book that was falling ... It didn't work out well. Live and learn.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

I can relate, having ended up in this situation due to impulsive leap to action.

My daughter periodically reminds me, NO MORE CHASING CARS!

You, too, kiddo'.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

... Such a wimp.

No way!
onDvine

1 recommendation

onDvine to squirt

Premium Member

to squirt
said by squirt:

... Live and learn.

So you don't try to catch falling books anymore?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· QsxGUQOI