uniqs
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to lutful

to lutful

Re: Wire Size

said by lutful:

Curiously outdoor conductor sheaths are usually black and Thermos internal surfaces are usually shiny.

I guess you also fail to understand most conductor “sheaths” are made of plastic and metallic conduit being “metallic” is made of steel or aluminum.

Metallic conduit does not need to be black to be UV resistant.

None the less you are still stuck on that and 90C so there is no sense going any further with this as is quite clear you don’t understand nor do you want to understand…

to lutful
said by lutful:

350.2 ... sunlight-resistant jacket over an inner flexible metal core

Ha what a joke, if one was to run 100 feet of LT for a generator install one is not only going to have a flat wallet one will be the laughing stock of the building department.

That is a total mis-application for LT.

That single sentence has clearly demonstrated your total lack of knowledge in matters concerning electrical contracting and design.
Expand your moderator at work
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to 54067323

Premium Member

to 54067323

Re: Wire Size

As I keep repeating, that flexible conduit is used in extreme environments. I talked to my EE friends who work and even supervise electricians in such environments. I was not aware of the astronomical cost but it does not show lack of "knowledge" of thermal analysis or electrical design.

I understand electricians use rigid galvanized steel pipe outdoors because it is much cheaper and does the job. But it has pathetic thermal properties which result in tremendous heat rise in the conduit. You can Google it since you seem to have no educational background or interest in physics.

For example »www.cmacn.org/energy/bas ··· lect.htm says:

Infrared Emittance is a parameter between 0 and 1 which measures the ability of a warm or hot material to shed some of its heat in the form of infrared radiation ... clean, untarnished galvanized steel has a very low emittance

A material with an emittance of unity ("black body"), emits about 6.1 watts per square meter, for each degree C above ambient temperature.

So you can deduce that a 75C black-body in 50C ambient will radiate 150 watts per square meter. Compared to 5 watts for galvanized steel. Touch that pipe in full sun.
54067323 (banned)
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by lutful:

I understand electricians use rigid galvanized steel pipe outdoors because it is much cheaper and does the job.

Who said anything about using rigid?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by 54067323:

said by lutful:

I understand electricians use rigid galvanized steel pipe outdoors because it is much cheaper and does the job.

Who said anything about using rigid?

Does NEC allow non-UV coated flexible metal conduit for 100ft outdoor application? What section should I check?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

SparkChaser to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
said by lutful:

Infrared Emittance is a parameter between 0 and 1 which measures the ability of a warm or hot material to shed some of its heat in the form of infrared radiation ... clean, untarnished galvanized steel has a very low emittance

Just make one point before I go back to watching the contest.

emittance is not used alone as a criteria.

54067323 (banned)
Tuscaloosa, AL

to lutful
said by lutful:

Does NEC allow non-UV coated flexible metal conduit for 100ft outdoor application? What section should I check?

The answer to that question is somewhere between chapter one and nine of the NEC, when you find it let me know.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by 54067323:

said by lutful:

The answer to that question is somewhere between chapter one and nine of the NEC, when you find it let me know.

Can one of the forum electricians just post some links to inexpensive flexible metal conduits with sunlight resistant cool white paint that can be used for 100ft/100A outdoor run? The thread needs closure and I really do not have motivation to look up all the answers.

This is my very last post on anything electrical in this forum. Good riddance to me. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by lutful:

Can one of the forum electricians just post some links to inexpensive flexible metal conduits with sunlight resistant cool white paint that can be used for 100ft/100A outdoor run?

Most jurisdictions don't allow the use of LFMC in that manner.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

1 recommendation

motoracer to Ole pluck

to Ole pluck
Wow...talk about a pissing contest! Great work gentlemen.
54067323 (banned)
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by motoracer:

Wow...talk about a pissing contest! Great work gentlemen.

Really, I thought it was raining.