Search similar:

uniqs
KUppiano
Karl Uppiano
join:2003-02-02
Ferndale, WA

KUppiano

[DSL] Netgear 7550 Hairpinning?

I just received a new Netgear 7550 modem/router to go with my DSL speed upgrade. I got all my port forwarding and dynDNS updates working, but I cannot seem to connect to the dynDNS domain name from inside the LAN, nor can I ping the WAN interface via the dnyDNS domain name.

This is called "hairpinning", and I have been able to do this with every other router I have had. Essentially, the router needs to be able to route to its own public IP. Am I just not using it right?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Maybe this will have some information of benefit to you.

»seansite.dyndns.org/fron ··· nt/7550/
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to KUppiano

to KUppiano
Are you sure you have the external ip address?

I noticed that during the first month I got a new ip address almost daily, lately it is has been stable and only changing every month or every other month.
KUppiano
Karl Uppiano
Ferndale, WA

KUppiano to Hank

to Hank
Thank you. The information is helpful, but it does not answer the hairpinning question.
KUppiano

KUppiano to Aranarth

to Aranarth
My dynDNS client gets the external address from the router and updates dynDNS regularly -- that part is working. I can contact my little server from work. But I can't from inside the LAN using the WAN address.

This is a problem because now I need separate scripts and shortcuts on my laptop for "inside" and "outside" the LAN; i.e., "work" and "home". It isn't insurmountable, but it is annoying and time-wasting.
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

gozer9 to KUppiano

Premium Member

to KUppiano
Just for nuts try going through a proxy for your laptop Opera browser does this by default.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to KUppiano

MVM

to KUppiano
There are routers that support "hairpinning" aka loopback and there are routers that do not support hairpinning.
The 7550 does not support hairpinning.
KUppiano
Karl Uppiano
Ferndale, WA

KUppiano to gozer9

to gozer9
said by wayjac:

There are routers that support "hairpinning" aka loopback and there are routers that do not support hairpinning.
The 7550 does not support hairpinning.

You say that with such conviction, I almost hesitate to ask: do you know for certain if there is absolutely no advanced configuration that could be set, for example adding a rule to the routing table to accomplish this?