join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

[Thunderbird] Thunderbird feature I'd like to have open on every

Thunderbird Program Run.... I hope I explain this correctly....
When a reply happens to an email, there is this little triangle thing to left of the title in the list that is the hint that there is replies to the origional email....

What I want to do is have this triangle thing open to show the reply emails in the list, as opposed to the default operation where it hides the subsequent reply email under the first reply, under the triangle.

First, I don't know what this triangle thing is called, and therefore don't know what to search for....

Second, whatever this is called, I'd like to set it up such that when a email is replied to, it automatically is listed under the first email, not seemingly hidden under it....

With this email hidden, it still shows up as an un-read email in the Inbox, but I then have to highlight the inbox to find out where it's hiding...

I'd like to have them show up, as opposed to be hiding under the triangle thing that I don't the name of....

Hope this is clear, Thanks...

Jan

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Re: [Thunderbird] Thunderbird feature I'd like to have open on e

Click for full size
This Arrow?
I've added a picture to see if this is what you are talking about.

I did a reply to Danielle's e-mail from my inbox. Once I sent the e-mail, the little purple arrow appeared just to the left of the e-mail's subject.

As far as I know, I cannot do anything with that arrow, to make it show my reply below it in any way. In this case, if Danielle was to then reply to that message that I just set, her reply would come into my inbox as a new message, and be "sorted" so to speak above the message from Joe (as I have things set to sort by date).

Now, if you are talking about a different arrow, maybe a screen shot of your screen would help figure out what you are talking about.

Thanks,

--Brian

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Ok... I'll post a screen shot tonight....
But No, that's not it...

It's a miniature triangle... the either points right (Default setting) Hiding subsequent emails on same subject... Or... It points down, and reveals other emails on same subject.

It defaults to Hide, and I'd like it to default to down, where it reveals new emails..

I'll post two pics tonight, showing what defaults, and what I'd like to default...

Thanks....
Jan
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
OK Let's hope this is clearer....

Look at the picture labeled: DEFAULT (LEFT ONE) This is the default operation of my Thunderbird.... See the little triangle? That's the only indicator that there is emails hidden below....

Now look at picture labeled: Wanted Configuration (RIGHT ONE)... This is how I wish Thunderbird displayed the emails....

How do I change the Defualt configuration to Wanted configuration???

At Present, the way the emails are displayed on program load is the Left one (Hiding the email threads) I'd prefer the Right One where all emails are displayed....

The default display makes finding un-read emails harder, as they are hidden...

What is the proper name of that triangle???

Thanks!

NotHereNow
@verizon.net

NotHereNow to Jan Janowski

Anon

to Jan Janowski
Sounds like you're talking about the Thunderbird (originally Gmail) Conversations add-on.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
said by NotHereNow :

Sounds like you're talking about the Thunderbird (originally Gmail) Conversations add-on.

After I saw the picture, I was thinking add-on as well, just not sure which one. Last night I sat down and looked at all the options in Thunderbird 17.0.5, and I did not see a way to enable / disable such a feature (Tools Menu, and both the "Account Settings" menu item and the "Options" menu item).

I even did a few test e-mails to myself using my gmail and my yahoo account, and I could not get Thunderbird to display the e-mails in that fashion.

In my case, I have all the plug-ins disabled in Thunderbird (don't see the need, as its just a mail client), and the only add-on I have installed is Lightening (Calendar).

Which add-ons do you have installed? Maybe the setting you are looking for is in one of them, and not Thunderbird itself.

--Brian

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Click for full size
Only Two...

NotHereNow
@verizon.net

NotHereNow to plencnerb

Anon

to plencnerb
Actually, I think Thunderbird Conversations has a preference to automatically expand threads by default (as well as other "thread enhancements" which one may find useful).
NotHereNow

NotHereNow to Jan Janowski

Anon

to Jan Janowski
BTW, that little triangle thing is called a tree-twisty (or just twisty for short).

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
Well, I'm sorry to say but I'm at a loss then how to help troubleshoot or solve your problem. It appears that you don't have anything extra installed. I don't either, and for the life of me, I cannot find a way to modify the display to get my inbox to look like yours.

Sorry I was not more help.

--Brian

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

VIEW--THREADS----COLLAPSE ALL THREADS ------ Will let you see what I see....

VIEW--THREADS---EXPAND ALL THREADS -------- Appears to do what I want it to do!!!

Try it and see what I saw!

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Jan Janowski:

VIEW--THREADS----COLLAPSE ALL THREADS ------ Will let you see what I see....

VIEW--THREADS---EXPAND ALL THREADS -------- Appears to do what I want it to do!!!

Try it and see what I saw!

Well, I did what you said, and every time I do, the two options are always graded out. Does not matter if I'm in my inbox, a sub-folder, trash, outbox, etc.

As far as I know, I do have threads that I did reply to a reply kind of thing.

Does it only work on a specific mail account (yahoo, gmail, etc), or with a specific setup (POP vs IMAPI)?

--Brian

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

1 edit

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Here's what I see....

and I can turn it on or off as described..

Thunderbird version here: 17.0.5

Pointing at Comcast POP Mail servers.

If I wasn't clear, the VIEW--THREADS---EXPAND ALL THREADS does do what I wanted. But it is interesting how this came about....
It just "Happened" here about 2 months ago... and until I had an email thread that got very long, didn't even know it was there....

It is interesting that you can't turn it on....

??????

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb

Premium Member

Yes it is interesting that I cannot turn it on. Right now, I'm at my Girlfriends house, and her system is the one I was using when I was testing this out and posting the screen shots. Like me, she is running version 17.0.5. She has multiple e-mail accounts setup (gmail, yahoo, and her ISP's e-mail).

When I get home later today, I'll check my own system and see if I can turn it on there. As far as I know, the setup is similar, except that I only have a gmail account and a yahoo account. But, I know her and I are running the same version of Thunderbird, and should be configured the same way. I know as I set it up for her.

The thing I see about your last screen shot is that you have what appears to be a global inbox, with sub-inboxes under it. In our case, each account is setup on its own in Thunderbird.

EDIT
I am home now, and checked my version of Thunderbird, which is 17.0.5. I have two accounts setup. One for gmail, and one for yahoo. Both are setup as POP3 (not IMAPI). I also do not have access to that menu item, no matter what I do (it is always greyed out).

My setup is the same as my GF's.

--Brian

kkb2
Object of the Panopticon
join:2000-06-11
Colorado

kkb2 to plencnerb

to plencnerb
Remember to select View|Sort by|Threaded too.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

That did it! Now I see things as "threads" instead of individual messages.

Well now that I have the same feature working, I'll see if I can do some research on the OP's question. If I figure anything out, I'll post back.

--Brian

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to kkb2

Premium Member

to kkb2
I sort by | date | descending | treaded.
Still a literal T-Bird noob.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

It's been fine ever since I did the 'Expand all Threads' option!
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

said by Jan Janowski:

It's been fine ever since I did the 'Expand all Threads' option!

Results may vary .....