All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jlyons4
join:2013-04-19
Philadelphia, PA

jlyons4

I am getting image lag during live sports broadcasts Help!

I get this weird judder/stutter/image lag when watching live sports. It only happens about 3-5 times a live game. I have done everything under the sun to fix this issue and cannot figure out why it does it. It almost looks like the broadcast buffers for a split second or the signal drops. Movies, TV shows, on demand, video games, blu rays, 3D all look perfect. Here is my troubleshooting list:

-Exchanged TV (Samsung 240hz 3D LED TV)
-New coax cables ran through the house.
-Adjusted every setting on the STB
-Adjusted every setting on the TV
-Tried new splitters
-New HDMI cables
-Switched the cable box with the one upstairs.
-Tried every HDMI port
-Tried Component cables.

HERE IS THE WILD CARD: If I plug directly into the TV with the coax cabe PROBLEM SOLVED. No judder/stutter/image ghosting. Once I go back into the STB the problem starts again. Also if I rewind the DVR and playback the broadcast the judder/stutter/ghosting is also gone.

Please help before I pull whats left of my hair out!
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

It's nothing in your setup to blame. It's the firmware on Verizon's STBs (which is why it worked fine when you bypassed your cable box). They have improved it (it used to be worse), but I see it from time to time too. The way I get around it - pause your feed. Whether live TV or recording, it doesn't matter. Pause it, wait a couple seconds, and resume play.

From what I understand, it's an issue that Verizon is aware of, and hopefully we'll see a more complete fix in future releases.
jlyons4
Philadelphia, PA

jlyons4

Ahhh I see. Does it matter what box I have? Or do I have to just wait for a firmware update if they ever release one?

I have the CISCO Multi Room DVR.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

I don't think it matters. I have the motorola multi-room DVR, and I see the same effect that you're talking about. Although it's far less pronounced than it used to be.
jlyons4
Philadelphia, PA

jlyons4

Yea I mean it sometimes happens around 3-5 times a game. Sometimes less. At least I know its not the TV.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

That sounds like a lot. I get it occasionally. Not every movie/game/program.
jlyons4
Philadelphia, PA

jlyons4

I never get it during shows, movies, news, etc. only sports.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to jlyons4

to jlyons4
Try an STB auto correction. It helped mine.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

That's good to know. I'll give that a shot too. Not that I see it that often. I do see it on regular programming from time to time, but the OP is right - it's much more noticeable on live sports.
jlyons4
Philadelphia, PA

jlyons4

This makes me feel a little better. Now hopefully they update the boxes.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to jlyons4

to jlyons4
I'm confused. Why would the signal be any different to the STB for live sports vs taped programs?
Is it all channels that carry live sports or only some?
I have never seen it.
Even on my 6416 DVR hooked to my 40" Samsung.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

I can't speak for the OP, but I can speak for what I see. For me, I've only seen it on my DVR (or in watching recordings off my DVR via the other STB). And I see it on regular programming as well as sports programming. It is more noticeable on sports programming - that much is true (at least based on my experience). Why would that be? I'm guessing that the fast pans, and action probably lend themselves to making it more noticeable. I don't know. Just a guess. I think it's just that it's probably more noticeable with sports... not that it doesn't happen with regular programming.

I've seen it since they rolled out the new guide s/w. Since I was a beta tester for the new guide, I can tell you that it definitely used to be worse. Much worse. They fixed alot of it during the beta, and fixed it even more after the roll-out. And I had all three models of moto DVR with this s/w. I started with the 6416 when we got it as part of the beta, but the sluggish response, and the SD guide, drove me crazy, so I upgraded to a 7216. Then I bit the bullet and shelled out the $40 for the 7232 a few months after that. I've seen that effect on all three platforms, to varying degrees.

Finally, I do notice it more on some channels than others. So it may simply come down to what programs/channels you watch. For example, I do notice more on ABC programming than just about anywhere else (I see it on just about every episode of Castle that I watch). But on other channels that I watch frequently (e.g. Food Network), I can honestly say I've never seen it. Why that would be... anyone's guess.
jlyons4
Philadelphia, PA

jlyons4

According to Verizon, sports are broadcasted on a different frequency. I stated in the original post I bypassed the STB and plugged the cable directly into the tv and the problem went away. So this leads me to believe its the box.