spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Katmeat

join:2006-04-26
Columbus, OH

Ditch the NVG501 and use any ADSL2+ modem?

I just had U-verse service installed at my small business office, and had been promised speeds of 18 down and 2 up. After struggling for two days to integrate the VNG510 into my existing business network with little success, AT&T Support advised me this morning that their network available to my office only supports upload speeds capping at 800kbps, which is a big disappointment.
In looking at the configuration screen of the NVG501, I see:
Modulation ADSL2+
Does anyone know whether that means that I can ditch the worthless VNG510 and use any ADSL2+ modem with my U-verse service, so that I can put it into true bridge mode?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Katmeat:

Does anyone know whether that means that I can ditch the worthless VNG510 and use any ADSL2+ modem with my U-verse service, so that I can put it into true bridge mode?

U-verse IPDSL requires 802.1x authentication with AT&T certificate. AFAIK, the cert is not available to third parties. Also, generic ADSL2+ is probably ATM, while U-verse IPDSL is PTM. So you likely will need an AT&T issue IPDSL modem.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Katmeat

Columbus, OH
That is what I was afraid of. Thanks, Norman.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Katmeat
said by Katmeat:

I just had U-verse service installed at my small business office, and had been promised speeds of 18 down and 2 up. After struggling for two days to integrate the VNG510 into my existing business network with little success, AT&T Support advised me this morning that their network available to my office only supports upload speeds capping at 800kbps, which is a big disappointment.
In looking at the configuration screen of the NVG501, I see:
Modulation ADSL2+

1. If you were being told the truth, and your local CO is indeed not able to supply faster than 800 kbps upstream, then it won't matter what modem/gateway device you use; you need to find another ISP. Try going to »business.comcast.com/ to find out if Comcast offers Business Class service to your location.

2. As NormanS See Profile already mentioned, your U-verse service to your NVG510 (I assume that is the "modem" you have even if you spelled it several other ways in your post) is an IPDSL modem, not an ATM modem; your only source for a "modem" is AT&T. You might be able to find a used AT&T issued IPDSL "modem" on Craigslist or eBay, but there is no guarantee that they would work, and they are all just as brain dead as the NVG510 (actually some are even more brain dead).

If you pay for a static IP block, you can get the same effect as a bridge modem by just assigning the static IP block to another router behind the NVG510 (but once again, that is not going to magically provide you with more upstream speed than AT&T can supply to your location).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Katmeat

Columbus, OH
Thanks for the input, NetFixer. Unfortunately, my only alternative provider to my downtown Columbus Ohio office is Time Warner. I may need to explore them, but they are much higher in price and want me to help pay to wire my building.

I can probably live with the slower up speed with Uverse, which is still a big improvement over my previous DSL line. My bigger frustration has been that NVG510. I tried setting it up as an IP pass-thru to my NetGear SRXN3205, but I had trouble with DNS issues, and I could not get my hosted VOIP phones to connect properly. I have temporarily taken that off-line and am using the NVG510 and feeding it into my Netgear switch, and the phones work again, but of course, this gives up the advanced features and VPN of my router. I am certainly no networking expert, but I will look into your suggestion of allocating one of my static IP addresses directly to the Netgear router. I wonder if I could connect my phones through the NVG510, and everything else through the Netgear VPN router through that method, while avoiding the DNS issues.

Thanks again for your help!