Search similar:

uniqs

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

[Poll] Friday Poll - Who Has Been the Greatest Antagonist?

I haven't done this in a while, so let's do it right. Who was/is the greatest antagonist in WoW? I tried to add a little bit of their exploits below the poll. Let me know if there is anything to add or correct.

Some Background:
Ragnaros: Created Blackrock Mountain when he erupted onto Azeroth. His forced Killed Thaurissan, the leader of the Dark Iron clan. Attempted to burn Mount Hyjal and the regrowing World Tree. Affiliated with Deathwing and the Old Gods.

C'Thun: As one of the five Old Gods - who are known to be among the most powerful beings that ever walked Azeroth - C'Thun ruled over the young world. Azeroth was overwhelmed by elemental storms and the Old Gods held tyranny over it. Created the Qiragi.

Archimonde: Corrupted the Orcs ;with Kil'gaeden. Single-handedly destroyed Dalaran. Invaded Loraeron and it's surrounding areas. Brought Mannaroth to Azeroth who killed Cenarius and enslaved the orcs.

Illidan: During a feign of allegiance to the Burning legion his eyes were burned out by Sageras and replaced with living fire that can see all forms of magic and his body was covered in arcane tattoos. Created a second well of eternity that was corrupted. He was imprisoned for this treachery for 10,000 years. and . He was turned into a demon after destroying the Skull of Gul'dan.

Kil'Jaeden: With his brother Archimone, agreed to a deal with Sargeras that granted his people the eradar more power. Tricked Ner'zhul into thinking the draenei were plotting against the orcs and introduced warlock magic and bloodlust to the clans. He eventually turned Ner'zhul into the first Lich King. Tried to exterminate the draenei.

Kel'Thuzad: Allied himself with Lich King Ner'zhul for immortality and great power. He founded the Cult of the Damned. He created the Plague that turned people to undead. He was killed by Arthas and was reborn into a Lich by Arthas after being placed in the Sunwell.

Arthas / Lich King: He betrayed the Light and killed Uther. He also led a slaughter of plague-infected people in Stratholme. Previous master and Lord of the Scourge.

Deathwing: Leader of the Black Dragonflight. He sundered Azeroth on his last rising. Tried to wipe out all but the dragons.

Sargeras: Sargeras has changed over the millennia. While he once served his race as guardian and protector, he is now the titans' worst enemy. Sargeras works to undo what the titans have strived for ages to achieve. He is now the master of all that is evil and demonic. Lesser beings quake and flee in his presence.

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14

i was seriously expecting to see archivis on this list...

iamdissapoint.jpg

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
I vote Archy.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
Blizzard.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

I think WoW will conclude with Sareras as the last raid boss, but that is my hopes.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
Casuals.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

A lot of votes for Arthas / Lich King, yet his creator is on the list and less votes? Reasons?

navymaverick
join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE

navymaverick to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

Sargeras: Sargeras ... is now the titans' worst enemy ... He is now the master of all that is evil and demonic. Lesser beings quake and flee in his presence.

Nuff said.
navymaverick

navymaverick to Venom14

to Venom14
said by Venom14:

i was seriously expecting to see archivis on this list...

iamdissapoint.jpg

Sargeras only because hogger is not on the list.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
Deathwing was an Aspect. But he didn't have the style that Arthas had. Sure, Deathwing was more powerful than Arthas... just as Sargeras is more powerful than all other villains... but there's no presence.

Arthas has been an antagonist since the strategy game... presence.

If the next expansion is Sargeras... I'd like the reveal to follow a mixture of MoP/BC development rather than Cata. Something with a huge "you are not prepared" feel... but cryptic as to how it will all play out (like the illidan backstory quests in nagrand, or the lorewalkers breadcrumbs in MoP).

the biggest problem for Lei Shen is he didn't exist before MoP. But we know Sargeras... so even if we just follow the MoP style of storytelling... it should be quite engaging.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
That elevator in SSC, killed more raiders than all others combined!

Or generic fire puddle on the ground!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

lol... the elevator after Dreamwalker, the elevator after Omnitron Defense System, or the Aldor rise elevator... elevators are nasty!

worst puddle on the ground, though? Defile. That's probably why Arthas is winning the vote. That single spell makes him OP.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

said by Immer:

lol... the elevator after Dreamwalker, the elevator after Omnitron Defense System, or the Aldor rise elevator... elevators are nasty!

worst puddle on the ground, though? Defile. That's probably why Arthas is winning the vote. That single spell makes him OP.

Ugh, defile. Where a 2 second lag spike by ANYONE = wipe.
Wishflthinkn
join:2011-01-27
Bruceton Mills, WV

Wishflthinkn to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
LK, The story telling and build up is unrivaled in this game. Child heir that had it all, to include the love of JP. He tossed it all away with out a thought. Heck he personally saw to the destruction of his father and his kingdom. The fact that when he was killed another had to take his place to control the scourge says volumes about his darkness. Even in death he took another noble soul. As far as a creator being more sinister than the creation, whom did you fear Palpatine or Darth Vader.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

Poll is closed. Lich King has won! Thinking about doing a boss vs. boss poll each week to keep things interesting. Thoughts?

Suniojii
join:2009-10-31
Lakeside, CA

Suniojii to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

I vote Archy.

Haha, I was just getting ready to type that myself!

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to qualitybobby

to qualitybobby
said by qualitybobby:

said by Immer:

Ugh, defile. Where a 2 second lag spike by ANYONE = wipe.

Should have seen what shadow traps did to us at level in H LK fights. 500ms lag and half your melee was launched off the platform. I guess it would be the same now, but you don't see as many with level 90's as you did at 80.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

oh yeah... those were bad at lvl85, lol.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
Lich King by absolute miles.

No one else (except maybe Deathwing) had/has even the half the presence Arthas had in game, so it felt more real and more of a threat. A lot of players knew of his backstory thanks to The Frozen Throne. When WotLK dropped the in game event showed everyone his power and most people rolled a Death Knight if only to experience the starting zone and there was Arthas, in your face. As you quested from 70-80 he'd pop up again and again, in dungeons he also appears. His presence is felt in tier 7 raiding and then again in tier 9, before in tier 10 you finally face him, in his Citadel, which you've seen all expansion long.

All the other antagonists (again except Deathwing) had very small roles or are only mentioned in passing.

WotLK was a near perfect expansion, as was it's antagonist.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I really like the Illidan story, though. Sure, he was the penultimate boss of BC, but there hasn't been anything as epic as "you are not prepared"

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
Aside from myself, Arthas is it.

Arthas was the prime antagonist in the WC3 game as well. The game ends with him. Everyone after him is yanking out of unpopular books or from a whiff of the game. For example, Pandaria was conjured up entirely out of custom side game stuff because they had a panda in the game.

They saw the panda and built a story around it. Arthas was the story from the beginning.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
I vote for Fenanorn.

navymaverick
Papillion, NE

navymaverick to Exodus

to Exodus
Well, I have two answers.

1) If you mean who is the ultimate meaning who has more power and more sway over Azeroth and can litterally affect everything adn everyone. The it is Sargeras. His reign and his minions not only affected history and conflict on three of the four continents of Azeroth but also held sway over Outlands and many many many other worlds and races. Blizz can litterally follow his story alone for many other games and concepts. If not for Sargeras, there may be no horde, hence no Warcraft (original 90s PC game). The orcs invaded due to him.

2) If you are meaning the best, well written, most identifiable bad guy, that would be Arthas hands down. I mean he is human and we the players are human. Not only that, but even the time when he was good and doing what was right by the light, we could identify with him adn his plight (Alli players anyways). And he had a hot girlfriend. Arthas' history was very detailed and we even personally followed his story across Northrend. And then we all rolled DKs and followed the path of waste and corruption (not talking about congress here) that he left behind.

One small note on Sargeras... I read somewhere a few years back that blizz contemplated writing him in somewhere to be the creator of the race that created the Zerg and Protoss but decided not to blend those stories... yet.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles

Premium Member

said by navymaverick:

Blizz can litterally follow his story alone for many other games and concepts.

Sargeras is a Titan....Blizzard's next game is called Titan..hmmmm

navymaverick
Papillion, NE

navymaverick

Yeah, I was thinking her was a titan. I am still convinced that they may (small chance) mix their worlds of SC and WC. They still have another expansion of SC2 along with 1 or 2 more in WoW and then their is Titan. We may see conversion here in the nearer future.

....Getting side tracked on the thread, sorry.