share rss forum feed

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

[IE] Win7HP-64 IE10 and I can not use IE10-32.

Win7HP-64 IE 10

I have been trying to use Ghostery in IE10 and it will not work in the 64 bit IE.
I have had the 64 bit IE for a couple years now. As I recall I installed it out of curiosity but never used it as some websites did not work properly in it.

I updated to IE10 as soon as it was available for Win7 and it removed my IE-64 shortcut pinned to the start menu but I ignored this action. Previously I had both IE9-32 and IE9-64 pinned to the start menu. It also changed things so that even if I go to the "Programs Files (x86) folder it still opens up the 64 bit IE and all the websites work good now as I never noticed until two days ago. I am trying to use the 32 bit IE as Ghostery does not work in the 64 bit IE. I have pinned the 32 bit IE10 to my taskbar and this shortcut will open the 64 bit IE10. I tried to add a shortcut to my desktop but this also will open only the 64 bit IE. The jump list only appears above the 64 bit IE. I can find no way to use the 32 bit IE10. IE10-64 is permanently pinned to the start menu and can not be removed.

Is there any way I can change things so that I can use either the 64 bit IE or the 32 bit IE which ever I desire or maybe just use the 32 bit IE?
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Well, I did some testing of IE 10 on Windows 7 Enterprise, x64. Here is what I found out.

First, I want to point out that I did not use Windows / Microsoft Update. I downloaded the install exe's directly from Microsoft. The two EXE's that I downloaded are below

• IE10-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe
• IE10-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe

Since I'm running a 64 bit version of Windows, I could not run the install for the 32 bit version of IE10. When I try to, I get a message box that said

quote:
This version of Internet Explorer setup doesn't support your version of Windows. Download the version of Internet Explorer for your Windows operating system from »go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=272319.

So, I ran the install for the 64 bit version of IE10.

After the install was complete, and the required reboot performed, I made the following observations.

• I only had one shortcut for Internet Explorer, and with IE9 I had two (one for the 32 bit version, and one for the 64 bit version).

• The one shortcut did point to the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer, which was located at "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe".

• I did however still have a version of Internet Explorer installed to ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", that had the same version number as the other one. The only difference was the actual size of the two EXE's.

• When I launched the shortcut, I noticed that I have two processes running. One is iexplorer.exe and the other is iexplorer.exe *32 . If I close down IE, and actually launch the EXE from the x86 folder, I get the same results.

I'm not sure if that helps answer your question or not, but it is what I noticed when I did the install. It makes me think that maybe with IE10, Microsoft has moved away from having two versions of IE installed. If you have a 32 bit version of Windows 7, you will get the 32 bit version of IE10. If you have the 64 bit version of Windows 7, you will only get the 64 bit version of IE10. While there is a process called "iexplorer.exe *32", it may only be there for backward compatibility reasons. However, if that is the case, then Ghostery should still work......

Is there a newer version of Ghostery out? I'm kind of at a loss at this point as to why its not working.

Again, sorry if I did not answer your question, but maybe some of my notes and observations could help point someone else in the right direction.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

you helped

psloss
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Lebanon, KS

1 edit
reply to rfhar

Edit, more to the point FYI; this was broadcast on Wednesday, the 17th:
»purplebox.ghostery.com/?p=1016023233

Original FYI, probably interests fewer:
»blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/arc···top.aspx

quote:
For IE10, we've changed IE such that Manager Processes always run as 64bit processes when running on a 64bit processor running a 64bit version of Windows.
If you manually invoke C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, that 32bit process will simply launch the 64bit version of iexplore.exe (with the appropriate command line parameters) before exiting.
In Internet Explorer on the Desktop, by default, Content Processes remain at 32bit by default for compatibility with 32bit ActiveX controls, Toolbars, BHOs, etc. Even when you directly launch the 64bit iexplore.exe executable, you will still have a 64bit Manager Process that hosts only 32bit Content Processes. If you want to enable 64bit Content Processes for the Desktop, you must tick the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode option in the Security section of Internet Explorer’s Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. When this option is enabled, all Content Processes that are running in Protected Mode (e.g. Internet Zone and Restricted Zone, by default) will begin to use 64bit Content Processes.
Tabs running in Enhanced Protected Mode on Windows 8 run inside an AppContainer. On Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, AppContainer does not exist, so EPM only enables 64bit tabs on a 64bit OS.
(Never used either Ghostery or IE10.)