Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: Grass planting question

It was a really small area, you may be better off getting a piece or 2 of sod to put on top of the dirt. That would provide a much free area much quicker. Most of the big box stores sell sod at a reasonable price, if you're only doing a small area.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

It was a really small area, you may be better off getting a piece or 2 of sod to put on top of the dirt. That would provide a much free area much quicker. Most of the big box stores sell sod at a reasonable price, if you're only doing a small area.

So you still think I should go with sod on the side?

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by Msradell:

So you still think I should go with sod on the side?

For such a small area I would. It gets rid of the mud problem immediately and guarantees a good stand of grass. Starting grass in the spring is always risky (fall is the preferred time), so sod will avoid that problem. For a small area, the cost of sod is not won't be cost prohibitive.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

And it can't hurt to lay down some soil I suppose? From what I read sod has to be watered daily for about a month or so? I don't want to risk over watering as well.

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

And it can't hurt to lay down some soil I suppose? From what I read sod has to be watered daily for about a month or so? I don't want to risk over watering as well.

Definitely, put down some soil 1st and make sure that the new slope in the area allows water to drain away from the house! You only need to water daily for about the 1st week, then every couple of days.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Thanks, I fixed the issue with how the water was draining from the gutter but the ground in this area will for sure need to be leveled a bit which is not a big deal.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the box had holes in the bottom and had originally been filled with gravel before soil was washed into the box.

If so, it was a home brew drywell to catch rain water and let it soak into the ground. He probably used the grate rather than running an underground pipe from the downspout.

See »www.instructables.com/id ··· ry-well/

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

I wouldn't be surprised if the box had holes in the bottom and had originally been filled with gravel before soil was washed into the box.

If so, it was a home brew drywell to catch rain water and let it soak into the ground. He probably used the grate rather than running an underground pipe from the downspout.

See »www.instructables.com/id ··· ry-well/

Maybe but I highly doubt it since I never saw any other pipe related to the drainage..

It's been this way for I don't know how long.. 15+ years or so..