Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Rogers worried?

Click for full size
To me, it almost seems like Rogers is worried about TPIA's now... 200 gig cap, 35mb service for $45 month, with modem and no contract.

I guess all this congestion garbage if you use over 60 gigs a month, was just that... garbage.

I will stick with TSI, but I could see why this would be attractive to some.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
They can go ahead and offer anything, the really shocker will be when they raise that rate every 4 months for the next n number of years. So it wouldn't take long for their "good deal" to become as bad a regular price.

The no contract bit is a nice touch on their part.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to koreyb
Here's to hoping they are worried, they need to be shaken up.

When I called to cancel my Internet with Rogers, their initial retention offers were underwhelming. She himmed and hawed, put me on hold to talk to her manager, offered unlimited for $30/month more (bringing the total to $75-some-odd) and insisted a new and more expensive DOCSIS 3.0 modem was absolutely required to increase my cap from 60 GB to 80 GB, which made no sense to me (I'd just be hitting the cap more slowly?)

As soon as I indicated I was switching to TekSavvy, WITHOUT HESITATION, she offered:

- unlimited
- rate guaranteed for 8 years
- $35/month
- new modem rental included

This was clearly designed to crush TSI.

Most people I talk to cannot believe I turned that down. I did turn it down because:

- they didn't treat me well when I was an existing customer
- why doesn't everyone pay the same price? Why all the secret deals? Why do I have to be a master negotiator to get a good price?
- a "guarantee" from Rogers is to be taken with a large grain of salt. For one thing, if I change any other service, I can say goodbye to that special deal.
- I am completely uninterested in what they call a modem now. I would be suspicious of the thing even in bridge mode.
--
TekSavvy cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
reply to creed3020
Is there a startup fee?

XR999
See ya Rogers.

join:2010-05-24
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
reply to koreyb
I remember getting an almost identical envelope earlier this week, of course it probably spent 5 minutes in my home before it was sent through the paper shredder.

I mean seriously Rogers, the only advantage that your "offer" has over my current TekSavvy cable service is the increased download speed. Otherwise I have 100GB more bandwidth, pay $5 less a month, experience no DNS BS, I don't have some c*** modem/Wi-Fi combo and TekSavvy doesn't call you every couple of months with "offers" because all you have is Internet service through them.

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bbiab
said by bbiab:

Is there a startup fee?

Likely not... Rogers likes to wave those fees because they can.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to XR999
Good deal. Being a current Rogers customer for TV and wireless phone, speaking with retentions would give me a higher probability of getting unlimited bandwidth usage, and a good wireless retention plan if I have all 3 services.

said by XR999:

I remember getting an almost identical envelope earlier this week, of course it probably spent 5 minutes in my home before it was sent through the paper shredder.

I mean seriously Rogers, the only advantage that your "offer" has over my current TekSavvy cable service is the increased download speed. Otherwise I have 100GB more bandwidth, pay $5 less a month, experience no DNS BS, I don't have some c*** modem/Wi-Fi combo and TekSavvy doesn't call you every couple of months with "offers" because all you have is Internet service through them.

Teksavvy 35/3 is $50/month, so where'd you get $5 less per month? Not quite sure what you mean by DNS BS either. Only downside is 200GB/month compared to 300GB/month.

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by geokilla:

Good deal. Being a current Rogers customer for TV and wireless phone, speaking with retentions would give me a higher probability of getting unlimited bandwidth usage, and a good wireless retention plan if I have all 3 services.

said by XR999:

Teksavvy 35/3 is $50/month, so where'd you get $5 less per month? Not quite sure what you mean by DNS BS either. Only downside is 200GB/month compared to 300GB/month.

Rogers has some issues with their DNS servers I think he was getting at, plus they inject into the websites sometimes.. USAGE is the big difference, and 5 bucks to get 100 more gigs a month, is actually a good deal in comparison. My past experience with ROGERS echos what was said here by others.. I also feel customer service although not perfect, is much better on TSI

XR999
See ya Rogers.

join:2010-05-24
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
reply to geokilla
I should have been more clear that I'm not on the 35/3 tier, nor can I be if I wanted to as the Richmond Road POI here in Ottawa doesn't move to ATPIA service till this summer. My current service is 18/.512 which costs $39.95 plus tax. Hence why I said that the only advantage Rogers had with that offer was increased speed.

Also the DNS BS refers to the fact Rogers offers no permanent opt-out of their DNS hijacking (whereas Bell does offer one) they use when you mistype a website address (and are subsequently redirected to a Rogers ad laden page) or reach 80% of your cap in a month. Their opt-out, unless it's changed since I left, was simply them setting a cookie that results in redirect pages leading to fake error pages.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to koreyb
said by koreyb:

USAGE is the big difference, and 5 bucks to get 100 more gigs a month, is actually a good deal in comparison.

In that deal description, the modem is included in Rogers' deal... for me, the free modem and $5/month lower cost would be far more valuable than 100GB/month. (I think I haven't used more than ~100GB/month in the past 2-3 years... only used 35GB last month.)

koreyb

East York, ON
Based on the fact I already have wifi and modem, I really don't care, which most TPIA people would have a modem already. With netflix I know I'm up to the 200+ a month mark.

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada

1 recommendation

reply to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Only downside is 200GB/month compared to 300GB/month.

Uploads on Teksavvy don't count towards the monthly limit--nor does dowloading between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m.

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Don't forget with Rogers, 200GB/month includes upload and download and there is no free 2am-8am period.
LOL, Webslingerac already said the same

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to Fraoch
said by Fraoch:

As soon as I indicated I was switching to TekSavvy, WITHOUT HESITATION, she offered:
- unlimited
- rate guaranteed for 8 years
- $35/month
- new modem rental included

Maybe you got this offer because you do have services with them?
When I called them to see what they can offer they had nothing interesting to say.

sourtimes

join:2012-12-16
York, ON
reply to geokilla
said by geokilla:

said by XR999:

Let's also not forgot that with Teksavvy you also get:

- 100GB more a month
- Unlimited uploads
- Free bandwidth between 2am and 8am
- Not locked into using the POS router/modem combo from Rogers
- No worries about 'billing errors', sudden price hikes, harassing Rogers telemarketing calls.

Yeah... a big pass to Rogers. They can frankly go cornhole themselves.

All this says to me is that finally Rogers and Bell are starting to feel the heat in declining revenues now that there is some competition in the internet space offering reasonable, non backdoor raping internet packages. Unfortunately they lost themselves mindshare with a lot of customers that have left, so it will take a lot more than mediocre deals that are still not as good as the competition to make those customers forget how crooked and shady Rogers/Bell are.

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by sourtimes:

said by geokilla:

said by XR999:

Let's also not forgot that with Teksavvy you also get:

- 100GB more a month
- Unlimited uploads
- Free bandwidth between 2am and 8am
- Not locked into using the POS router/modem combo from Rogers
- No worries about 'billing errors', sudden price hikes, harassing Rogers telemarketing calls.

Yeah... a big pass to Rogers. They can frankly go cornhole themselves.

All this says to me is that finally Rogers and Bell are starting to feel the heat in declining revenues now that there is some competition in the internet space offering reasonable, non backdoor raping internet packages. Unfortunately they lost themselves mindshare with a lot of customers that have left, so it will take a lot more than mediocre deals that are still not as good as the competition to make those customers forget how crooked and shady Rogers/Bell are.

Rogers will activate any modem for you on their interent if its on an approved TPIA modem list. I know someone who they said they refused to activate a SB6120, he dropped the cancellation that he'll go to teksavvy with that modem, it was provisioned right after that.

abcjak

join:2012-12-18
reply to koreyb
definitely worried. They tried to keep me 6 months ago, i left because i've seen how they work. Yeah, you keep the same basic service prices but the additional fees increase and newly created fees show up on the bills. It's the same way banks create new revenue streams whenever they want.

Last month my friend was up for renewal on his 3 or 4 services because he was ready to quit rogers internet and home phone, the csr told them they've been losing internet customers in droves and will do anything to keep people. He essentially agreed to antoher year on all at prices that equalled the resellers and that included free unlimited usage.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by abcjak:

Last month my friend was up for renewal on his 3 or 4 services because he was ready to quit rogers internet and home phone, the csr told them they've been losing internet customers in droves and will do anything to keep people. He essentially agreed to antoher year on all at prices that equalled the resellers and that included free unlimited usage.

The incumbent carriers are about as scummy as used car salesmen. If they didn't play the idiotic games they do and provided a decent service without all the games and screwing around they would have very happy customers and no crazy churn rate. The problem is there are still way too many sheep out there so they continue to justify playing these games.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

3 edits
I also found when on Bell or rogers my GB usage was higher then expected all the time. on TSI it was very close to what my router said I used.

Then I realized that TSI used BASE 2 math and the Incumbents used BASE 10.

TSI used the engineering binary principal of 1024 for 10 maxed binary places +1.

For Incumbent Marketing its whatever makes your product look better, typically by counting in decimal the number of binary kb
TSI.......(1024Kb = 1Mb = 1,048,576b = 0.00097Gb)
Incumbents.............(1000Kb = 1Mb = 1,024,000b = 0.001Gb)

Incumbents have taken license to call 1KB. 1000 bytes, I guess on the premise that according to the metric system that is how it should work. The fallacy in this reasoning is they are not starting with a unit that neatly fits into the metric system. 1 Byte = 8 bits. How does that relate to the metric system. It actually is false advertising IMO.

Take it to the GB/GiB level and you see the effect more so.

if you download a
200000000000 byte file
which is
200 GiB (2^30)

is in Decimal measured as
214.75 GB (10^9)

As you see.. not the same! And you'd have 14.75 GB (10^9) overage if you had a cap expressed as 200 GB (10^9) instead of 200 GiB (2^30).

And most consumers and marketing like to use "GB" to express GB (10^9) or GiB (2^30) interchangeably. And general public don't no the difference.

Edit:: May have screwed up the math, I don't do math well. But you get the picture.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

It is a very moot point when there is no justification for caps in the first place.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to XR999
said by XR999:

TekSavvy doesn't call you every couple of months with "offers" because all you have is Internet service through them.

After repeatedly asking to be put on their internal do-not-call list for marketing, I eventually just cancelled my cell phone with them and switched to Telus. I had no issue with their service or prices - just the constant harassment from their marketing dweebs pushed me over the edge.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to koreyb
And TS's ATPIA doesn't count usage for 2AM-8AM, so you can schedule the big downloads for then. Neither does uploads, but that's not much of a relief with the crappy Down/Up ratio.

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to HeadSpinning
Does the Do-Not-Call work ANYWHERE?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
Been a Rogers customer for 60 years. That being said, I think Rogers are a pack of thieves. Got tired of their phone calls trying to sell me more crap so I simply told them if they ever called back I was contacting the police and laying charges (criminal harassment). That was 2 years ago and they've never called here since.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Webslingerac
said by Webslingerac:

said by geokilla:

Uploads on Teksavvy don't count towards the monthly limit--nor does dowloading between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m.

I count them to be safe. Still well below 200GB/month for me. I can get into the whole spiel of downloading the Internet again, but DSLR will just think I'm trolling by voicing my opinion.

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada
said by geokilla:

Still well below 200GB/month for me.

I watch a lot of Netflix and anime movies on Funimation lately, use VoIP for home phone (g711u with 0.010 psize), and I have a large Steam game account, so monthly bandwidth caps matter to me (the more, the merrier).

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla
said by geokilla:

said by Webslingerac:

said by geokilla:

I count them to be safe. Still well below 200GB/month for me. I can get into the whole spiel of downloading the Internet again, but DSLR will just think I'm trolling by voicing my opinion.

Voicing your opinion and insulting people who use their internet for heavier file downloading are not the same thing.

You were doing the latter a few weeks ago in another thread.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to arahman56
said by arahman56:

The national do-not-call list doesn't work the way people think it does. Companies you do business with are completely exempt. The only way to legally make them stop if they insist on harassing you with cross-selling is to end your service with them. At that point, they are not allowed to contact you by phone if you are on the DNC list.

Of course, a company's internal DNC is completely their own business and they can choose to put you on it or not. Threatening them with terminating all services usually wakes them up to the point of putting you on the list.

snark

join:2013-04-05
canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

It is a very moot point when there is no justification for caps in the first place.

Actually, there's a VERY good justification to the caps. Rogers and Bell both derive a SUBSTANTIAL portion of all their earnings from selling TV channel packages (either through cable or sattelite). The caps have decreased every year since Netflix came to Canada.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

said by arahman56:

The national do-not-call list doesn't work the way people think it does. Companies you do business with are completely exempt. The only way to legally make them stop if they insist on harassing you with cross-selling is to end your service with them. At that point, they are not allowed to contact you by phone if you are on the DNC list.

Of course, a company's internal DNC is completely their own business and they can choose to put you on it or not. Threatening them with terminating all services usually wakes them up to the point of putting you on the list.

Actually they can still harass you upto 9 months after leaving them if I remember it correctly