uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[WIN8] What is the story on Windows 8 "pro pack"?

What is Windows 8 Pro Pack and why would I need it? Assuming I don't need it, why would I want it? Are there any features I can't get free on it, or that make any difference?

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: [WIN8] What is the story on Windows 8 "pro pack"?

said by signmeuptoo:

What is Windows 8 Pro Pack and why would I need it? Assuming I don't need it, why would I want it? Are there any features I can't get free on it, or that make any difference?

»www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu···55571800

Scroll down for the full skinny on this beast.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Well, thanks, I was sorta hoping for a non MS marketing explanation, but ok. So for 100 bucks, nope. Not when I already hate 8 as it is...

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3

Basically if you don't need to join the PC to a domain or need any of those other bells and whistles skip it.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Ok, join a PC to a domain? I have a home network, though I rarely share through the network because I find it difficult to do. Do you mean a home network domain, or some web presence thing?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to signmeuptoo

I already had Pro (I would never buy less than Pro of any Windows when buying a new computer. In this case, getting Pro allows me to downgrade to Win 7 Pro at any time for free and, yes, I have the media from Dell to do so). I upgraded to Win 8 Pro Media Center for free during the several months Microsoft offered it for free.

If you want Media Center, no, you can't get it free anymore.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Over in the forums for my computer manufacturer, I've seen several threads of people trying to downgrade to 7 and they're all having problems, and then they try to put 8 back, and can't succeed at that, either. I don't have specifics, but if lots of peeps are having issues, I'm not gonna try it!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

I have Premium support (hardware and software) for three years on this computer. When I finally got Dell to send the USB reinstallation stick for Win 8 Pro and the downgrade to Win 7 Pro one, I tried to see how they worked. I had problems so I called XPS special support line and the tech told me that downgrading was very complicated and that he would need to walk me through it step by step. So, I was glad I spent the money on the Pro support. He asked me if I wanted to downgrade right then and I said no that I just wanted to know that if I decided to do so that I would have some help as I too had seen folks in the Dell forums having problems.

The problems have to do mainly with how each OEM implemented UEFI and Secure boot in BIOS. You have make changes in BIOS before downgrading and make them in a certain order and since the BIOS is so different now it can be confusing. Same when you go back to Win 8.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson