All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

1 edit

rednekcowboy to TypeS

to TypeS

Re: using Ebox in ontario.. how to get around language restrict.

said by TypeS:

That's a pretty ridiculous assumption to make, that any of other ISPs other than incumbents would spend any marketing budget on a "smear campaign". And even the incumbents don't other than to have inbound CSRs lie when people inquire about the differences between their service and that of third party's.

The OP was looking for answers as to why he couldn't get to a specific website.

UM no it's not, at all if you actually cared to read through the thread and I never singled out or even mentioned independants, I was thinking more the big guys, but whatever.

The OP said "some sites" mentioning only specifically one site
Others chimed in talking about multiple sites yet only the one in the OP has been mentioned in this whole thread.
Another mentioned how like about 9 of these threads have popped up in the last day or so all of them directed at ditching Ebox for a non-quebec ISP.

If that is not the start of a smear campaign, I don't know what is.....

FWIW, making a dozen threads on various forums would equate to $0 dollars spent for anyone and actually an effective form of taking a strike at one of your competitors.

Again, all of these threads should be closed as slanderous against Ebox. This has nothing to do with them. They did not cause this issue and it's not up to them to fix this issue. They do not have to nor should they not be forced to splash this across everywhere on their website like a "do not use us, we're from Quebec" sign.

To the OP, you want a way around this, use this for the single issue you are having:

»www.theproxyfree.com/
Expand your moderator at work

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy

Creating threads would not be $0, you're implying some random private citizen would go through all that trouble. Ya ok... let me know when the sky isn't blue as well.

If an ISP did start a "smear campaign", they'd be paying someone for the hours they spent, I doubt there's that zealous to do it of their own will. Even the shill Mark77 on RFD is a Bell investor, so for him its in his best interest to bad mouth the Indies.

Whats so bad about negative posts about an ISP? TekSavvy gets them every day on these forums.

People get fed up, they get frustrated and don't want to understand the technological reasons behind the cause of their frustrations.

And this is an open and public forum that doesn't even require an account to post. Closing threads just because they rub your ISP the wrong way is just wrong. People should be allowed post their opinions (w/o the rants though IMO). We all read your thread about the excellent customer service diskace provided to you regarding your over usage issue. Kudos to EBOX going that far to get to the root of the issue and proving you were right. But that doesn't mean everyone will be as pleased with EBOX as you are. Just like not everyone is as pleased with TekSavvy as I am. Everyday people say TSI is a "sinking ship" or "customer service has gone way down hill" (I'll agree its degraded but as bad as some imply) but I don't agree with that, I've gotten nothing but good service from them, especially the ones on DSLr. You won't find me saying people disagreeing are out to smear TSI intentionally or ask threads to be closed. That's censorship.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

Personally, I'd like to see every ISP in canada block them for 48-hrs as a protest. It takes a real shithole of a company to want money from the people of a prov and even have stores in that prov, but refuse to offer them their website in their language.

If I was the OP i'd tell his sister that this bigoted company isn't deserving of her money and be thankful it's blocked.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Creating threads would not be $0, you're implying some random private citizen would go through all that trouble. Ya ok... let me know when the sky isn't blue as well.

If an ISP did start a "smear campaign", they'd be paying someone for the hours they spent, I doubt there's that zealous to do it of their own will. Even the shill Mark77 on RFD is a Bell investor, so for him its in his best interest to bad mouth the Indies.

Whats so bad about negative posts about an ISP? TekSavvy gets them every day on these forums.

People get fed up, they get frustrated and don't want to understand the technological reasons behind the cause of their frustrations.

And this is an open and public forum that doesn't even require an account to post. Closing threads just because they rub your ISP the wrong way is just wrong. People should be allowed post their opinions (w/o the rants though IMO). We all read your thread about the excellent customer service diskace provided to you regarding your over usage issue. Kudos to EBOX going that far to get to the root of the issue and proving you were right. But that doesn't mean everyone will be as pleased with EBOX as you are. Just like not everyone is as pleased with TekSavvy as I am. Everyday people say TSI is a "sinking ship" or "customer service has gone way down hill" (I'll agree its degraded but as bad as some imply) but I don't agree with that, I've gotten nothing but good service from them, especially the ones on DSLr. You won't find me saying people disagreeing are out to smear TSI intentionally or ask threads to be closed. That's censorship.

But that's just it. This has nothing to do with Ebox, it's not their issue nor is it something that is up to them to fix.

I have no problem with someone voicing a legitimate concern against an ISP, much like I did when I had issues with Ebox but to go shouting from the rooftops and telling people to ditch an ISP because they are from Quebec over an issue that said ISP has nothing to do with is ridiculous.

I wouldn't call this anything other than a smear campaign and yes, maybe $0 was stretching it a bit, but my point is that it is a very cost effective way to start a smear campaign and is done all the time by companies big and small.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

But the issue would be resolved by switching ISPs yes? As unfortunate as it is, that is the reality. The sites design is at fault bu the technical aspect is creating the issue is created by the location of EBOX and its IP address pools it purchased. Is diskace said, it would un-economical for them buy a pool just for Ontario.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to TypeS

to TypeS

when i was On Ebox futureshop etc.. all insisted i was in quebec and Many websites made my default language french It was an annoyance but not the only reason i switched, the extra ping time of 15-20 ms was also part of it and the newer better offerings on cable for my area launching p:)

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

But the issue would be resolved by switching ISPs yes? As unfortunate as it is, that is the reality. The sites design is at fault bu the technical aspect is creating the issue is created by the location of EBOX and its IP address pools it purchased. Is diskace said, it would un-economical for them buy a pool just for Ontario.

Switching ISP's for something so stupidly small is just retarded especially when all you have to do is go to the link I posted and the problem is solved. That link, you just put in the url you are going to and voila!! Like magic.

Telling the OP to switch ISP's because of this is like telling someone to blow up their car because it got a flat tire. Only a moron would follow either advice.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by rednekcowboy:

said by TypeS:

Switching ISP's for something so stupidly small is just retarded especially when all you have to do is go to the link I posted and the problem is solved. That link, you just put in the url you are going to and voila!! Like magic.

Telling the OP to switch ISP's because of this is like telling someone to blow up their car because it got a flat tire. Only a moron would follow either advice.

Its not moronic nor retarded, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a proxy, don't like adding another layer for traffic to go through when its not 100% necessary.

Switching ISPs is a perfectly viable option. Your flat tier analogy sucks its too, its more like a business saying "you can't park your car here, we don't like the manufacturer".

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

said by rednekcowboy:

said by TypeS:

Its not moronic nor retarded, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a proxy, don't like adding another layer for traffic to go through when its not 100% necessary.

Switching ISPs is a perfectly viable option. Your flat tier analogy sucks its too, its more like a business saying "you can't park your car here, we don't like the manufacturer".

Yes because switching isps because one website has an issue is the most level headed thing you can do. A lot of sense there. Let's incur a couple hundred dollars in cancellation and connection fees because I can't get to urbanoutfitters.com because they have no idea how to design a website in french.

A completely and perfectly logical response. Do you even read what you write or do you just turn your brain off and let the silliness spew forth?

It is absolutely idiotic to cost yourself $100-$300 dollars in costs (cancellation, setup, modem fees, etc, etc) because of 1 website when there is a perfect alternative to get to it.

The tire analogy is a perfect example of what you are saying. Well maybe not blow it up but you wouldn't sell your car because it got a flat tire would you?
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon

Well example futureshop or bestbuy they default me to quebec... and I can't even show on the main page where you view the items the stores in my region. i always have to set the postal code etc etc.

the fact that i've paid for installation etc etc it is costly.. I dn't blame ebox or whatever but wtf is up with this bs language law bullshit.. so annoying..

I mean unless Ebox advertised this than i would of not signed up , but a little late...

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
You're now implying EBOX has cancellation policies? Wait... what?

If they do, more reason not to be with EBOX but I'm pretty sure they don't so now you are twisting facts.

And no your tire analogy still fails, the consumer is being penalized for his choice in ISP (indirectly), so its not a piece of equipment with the service failing. Might want to get your facts there a bit straight.

I'm not telling the OP to go and switch ISPs but like the proxy option, its another option and it is viable and he will likely only face less than $100 in total fees if he goes with the much cheaper DSL options available.

We get it, you love EBOX, but that doesn't make it bad decision to not choose them or leave them from another ISP. Its a free market (ish) after all.

rednekcowboy

1 edit

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

You're now implying EBOX has cancellation policies? Wait... what?

If they do, more reason not to be with EBOX but I'm pretty sure they don't so now you are twisting facts.

And no your tire analogy still fails, the consumer is being penalized for his choice in ISP (indirectly), so its not a piece of equipment with the service failing. Might want to get your facts there a bit straight.

I'm not telling the OP to go and switch ISPs but like the proxy option, its another option and it is viable and he will likely only face less than $100 in total fees if he goes with the much cheaper DSL options available.

We get it, you love EBOX, but that doesn't make it bad decision to not choose them or leave them from another ISP. Its a free market (ish) after all.

You are the one that keeps bringing up me loving Ebox, I'm talking about cancelling an ISP in general for such a tiny issue.

Yes Ebox, like others (ie Acanac) have cancellation fees. If you rent your modem, you have to go on a contract. If you buy it outright and decide to leave at the beginning of the billing cycle, then you still have to pay that whole month. In my case that would be $60+tax.

Then to go to another ISP you have to pay installation (anywhere from $45 to $90(teksavvy, though right now can be had for $50 I think) and if you are switching from DSL to Cable or vice versa, you have to buy a new modem ($100) plus pay your first month of service ($60, depending but we'll go with $50 as an average to be fair).

So say I was in this situation and decided to leave. I could potentially have to pay $300 (on the high side) just because I "don't feel comfortable using a proxy" as you put it. I'm glad you have this kind of money to throw around but most don't otherwise they would blindly be throwing money away with Bhell, Robbers, Gougeco, etc. There is a reason why they go with the cheaper alternative and the headaches that come with that--to save money.

And yes, you have said multiple times to switch ISP's in this thread like it's the best solution. It's not a viable option for such a silly issue that is no fault of the ISP whatsoever and is easily defeated. You would have to be a complete imbecile to switch over something so insignificant.

FWIW, Start was mentioned a couple of posts back. I'm not just talking about Ebox, I'm talking about all ISP's that have this issue with idiotic companies that don't know how to code a webpage.

EDIT: So you would sell your car over a flat tire? Man you really are out there......The ISP's service isn't failing. Whomever coded the website is failing. Want to get upset at someone over it, bitch and whine at them.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

I don't need $300 to switch IISPs, unlike EBOX or Acanac, I'm not on any contract, I can leave TSI for any other IISP should I wish and all I face is either $50 DSL activation fees or $50-65 Cable activation fees. Thats all it will cost me to switch. Again, learn to read a bit.

I am not the one that keeps bringing this up, you do. People mention leaving EBOX and you are going off like a fanatic quoting exaggerated costs that do not apply to anyone and calling it all kinds of inflammatory names.

The only one here that has written insults and names here is you, you've taken it too personal.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

I don't need $300 to switch IISPs, unlike EBOX or Acanac, I'm not on any contract, I can leave TSI for any other IISP should I wish and all I face is either $50 DSL activation fees or $50-65 Cable activation fees. Thats all it will cost me to switch. Again, learn to read a bit.

I am not the one that keeps bringing this up, you do. People mention leaving EBOX and you are going off like a fanatic quoting exaggerated costs that do not apply to anyone and calling it all kinds of inflammatory names.

The only one here that has written insults and names here is you, you've taken it too personal.

I'm not upset in the least. I'm trying to wrap my head around why you would tell someone to leave an ISP over such a stupid issue. I mean really, it is.

As far as if you cancelled with tek. If you did it at the beginning of a billing cycle, then you would be on the hook for that month of whatever service you had, plus installation charges and another month somewhere else plus possibly a modem charge if you were switching from cable to dsl or vice versa. I did clearly say $300 would be on the high side, did I not?

If I was to switch, I would probably wait until the end of the billing cycle and I've bought my modem so I would probably keep on cable (though with prices in quebec I might not). So yes, it would probably only cost me the installation and one month service, but that would still be around $100-$130 plus tax depending on who I went with and what I subscribed to. Even at that, I don't know anyone that would put themselves out over $100 for an issue such as this.

I've been completed level headed and logical here. It is you sir that are going to extremes telling someone to change ISP's over an easily avoidable situation. Start users apparently experience the same issue, it's just not inter-provincial (obviously because they do not serve Quebec yet).

It's not about what I feel about Ebox at all. If this thread was about Teksavvy, I would be saying the exact same thing. The named ISP does not matter here one iota.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

I never advised the OP to leave his ISP, but that it was an option, one that others have mentioned as well.

You should learn some basic reading comprehension before claiming to be logical, because you have not been this entire thread.

Your first post was claiming there's some hidden smear campaign going on, there trying to make the OPs post invalid and accusing him of being a corporate crony. He has posted before on these forums. That post makes seem like you wearing a tin foil hat to tightly.

Again, the option of switching ISPs isnt not extreme, it just doesn't fit your idea of solution. Just because you don't agree doesn't make it ridiculous or any other inflammatory description you have used.

Try calming down and thinking before you post.

Have a good day.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

I never advised the OP to leave his ISP, but that it was an option, one that others have mentioned as well.

You should learn some basic reading comprehension before claiming to be logical, because you have not been this entire thread.

Your first post was claiming there's some hidden smear campaign going on, there trying to make the OPs post invalid and accusing him of being a corporate crony. He has posted before on these forums. That post makes seem like you wearing a tin foil hat to tightly.

Again, the option of switching ISPs isnt not extreme, it just doesn't fit your idea of solution. Just because you don't agree doesn't make it ridiculous or any other inflammatory description you have used.

Try calming down and thinking before you post.

Have a good day.

I'm not excited, but you certainly appear to be. I went back and counted and you have now said at least 4 times that switching ISP's is a viable option and that is the only option that you have provided. So what exactly are you telling the OP if you are not telling him to leave his ISP?

I never once said the OP was a corporate crony, in fact I've seen a number of his posts on here and know that to be untrue. What I said is 9 different threads over the span of a day or two when it's never been mentioned previously smells of a smear campaign and I still stand by that statement.

The idea of going out of pocket by at the very least over $100 ( by your own admission and potentially much more, depending on the situation) over this particular issue to solve it is by definition an "extreme" solution. In fact it is an idiotic solution.

I'm sorry if you take offense with that but if you would think with your head instead of letting your anger cloud your judgement, you would be able to see that, particularly when there is an extremely simplistic and absolutely free option at your disposal.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

I never actually quoted over a $100, I said under, again, where did you learn to read?

And the only reason I keep saying switching is an option is because you are deluded enough to keep saying it isn't or is out of this world to consider.

You need to relax a bit, the only one that has come off angry is you re-read your posts and see how inflammatory they are with so many insults.

Again, just because you don't agree with what others have said, doesn't make it wrong. Take a step back and try to analyze the situation a bit better.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

Actually you said $50+$50-$65. That is $100-$115+tax, well over $100.

Find it funny how I am the one that has to learn comprehend when it is you that can't even understand your own posts.

I am 100% relaxed. The fact that I can spell out a logical solution and explain myself thoroughly which rebuts everything you have said should show that. The fact that you have to keep telling me I'm a delusional fanboy speaks volumes about your state of mind.

Your troll efforts have failed, I would suggest you give up, you are only making yourself look bad at this point.

Markf: Very well said!!

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Are just making up numbers now or still you lack the reading comprehension of a child?

The only costs I'd incur with going to with xDSL service from another provider would range from $0-50, for Cable $50-65, not sure where $50+50-65 came from.

Also Start rents modems out with no contracts or deposits.

Learn some facts before your post, perhaps your forum handle is literal.

rednekcowboy

2 edits

rednekcowboy to TypeS

to TypeS

said by TypeS:

Are just making up numbers now or still you lack the reading comprehension of a child?

The only costs I'd incur with going to with xDSL service from another provider would range from $0-50, for Cable $50-65, not sure where $50+50-65 came from.

There's another intelligent, insightful post!! Good job.

Why would you switch to start when it says right in this thread that they have the same issues? Let me get this straight, you would leave one ISP because of this only to go to another to always show your location in London, Ontario versus Quebec? That would fix your issue with 1 website--urbanoutfitters.com but you would still have the same issues he talked about in his last post. Clearly you're being calm and level-headed and really putting a lot of thought into this.

I'm done arguing. Switching ISP's for this kind of issue is an idiotic "solution" at best. Throwing money down the drain. FWIW, I know how much it would cost to switch ISP's and you are not including all of the costs associated with switching. When I was being dinged for usage I did not incur (now there is an issue worth leaving a company over) I shopped around.

Ah, the let's jump on the forum handle. I love it when it finally gets around to that. It really shows how desperate a person is in their trolling efforts when that is all they have left to jump on to try and provoke someone.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

quote:
Why would you switch to start when it says right in this thread that they have the same issues
Not exactly the same issues... We're not blocked from any web sites, it's just that the IP we're getting says we're in London.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by MichelR:

quote:
Why would you switch to start when it says right in this thread that they have the same issues
Not exactly the same issues... We're not blocked from any web sites, it's just that the IP we're getting says we're in London.

I meant the same issue as your IP says you are in a location that you are not, which is the root cause for both companies.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

said by TypeS:

There's another intelligent, insightful post!! Good job.

Why would you switch to start when it says right in this thread that they have the same issues? Let me get this straight, you would leave one ISP because of this only to go to another to always show your location in London, Ontario versus Quebec? That would fix your issue with 1 website--urbanoutfitters.com but you would still have the same issues he talked about in his last post. Clearly you're being calm and level-headed and really putting a lot of thought into this.

I'm done arguing. Switching ISP's for this kind of issue is an idiotic "solution" at best. Throwing money down the drain. FWIW, I know how much it would cost to switch ISP's and you are not including all of the costs associated with switching. When I was being dinged for usage I did not incur (now there is an issue worth leaving a company over) I shopped around.

Ah, the let's jump on the forum handle. I love it when it finally gets around to that. It really shows how desperate a person is in their trolling efforts when that is all they have left to jump on to try and provoke someone.

Im glad you still lack reading skills, good job bub.

rednekcowboy

1 edit

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

EDIT: NM, not taking the bait

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by rednekcowboy:

said by TypeS:

Right, a bit too late to act mature when you've acted like brat the entire thread just because people said some things you didn't like.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

said by rednekcowboy:

said by TypeS:

Right, a bit too late to act mature when you've acted like brat the entire thread just because people said some things you didn't like.

Hey pot, I hear the kettle calling....

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by rednekcowboy:

Hey pot, I hear the kettle calling....

Misused analogy again, better go back to highschool.