uniqs

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

[Anime] Neon Alley *Desperately* Trying to get Customers Back

Just got a spammail from Neon Alley. They're willing to give me another week for free. Quite the promotion

Not enough variety. Too much recycling of episodes. Too much Naruto.

I really don't know how they're going to make any money with this service with their current marketing tactics and line up. Netflix is a far better deal.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Re: [Anime] Neon Alley *Desperately* Trying to get Customers Bac

I've been a paying member since launch, and while I can say I haven't gotten my money's worth out of it, I'm happy to support them. I look at it as subbing to a paid channel on my cable.

That said, I agree with you that there are things they need to work on. For me, the biggest issue is the blocks they run on random days. I turned it on the other night and they were running a Vampire Knight marathon. I've seen it, don't care for it, so I turned it off. VIZ has such a library under them, they really don't need to use up Thursday night prime time with a block of the same show.

On the plus side, Accel World, High School of the Dead, and Fate:Zero started last night. So I spent the night watching it for the first time in quite awhile.
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to cp

to cp
Crunchyroll is the only way to go. Dubs are and always will be a painful experience for me.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

mackey

Premium Member

said by Gandalf4503:

Crunchyroll is the only way to go. Dubs are and always will be a painful experience for me.

+1000!

I hadn't heard of Neon Alley and that pic was making me want to check them out, until I got to the 'dub' part that is. Nothing against people who like dubs, but I won't be watching. My 1-year CR membership still has a few months left on it before I need to renew

Edit: Ewww ewwww ewwww ewwww ewwww. I just checked out their FAQ. Dub only with absolutely no interest in subs? Only available on the PS3 or xbox 360? Fsck that. Wake me when they have subs available on Roku.

/M

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by mackey:

Edit: Ewww ewwww ewwww ewwww ewwww. I just checked out their FAQ. Dub only with absolutely no interest in subs? Only available on the PS3 or xbox 360? Fsck that. Wake me when they have subs available on Roku.

While they may do an app for Roku at some point, I doubt highly that they will ever play anything but subs.

You can go back in time and see my posts in here about how bad it will be, and that I would never sub to it, but I have to say, some of the shows aren't bad at all dubbed. Tiger & Bunny is really well done, and Accel World wasn't bad either last night.

I see and understand why they have gone dub-only, but I wish it were more an "on-demand" type app over a "channel" type one. The quality in the streaming has improved greatly from its launch. Now that they have more content, we may finally start to see an actual common sense schedule be made.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp to Gandalf4503

Premium Member

to Gandalf4503
I'm not a huge sub fan myself. Takes way too much concentration to watch them. I'm way too ADD for that
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

said by cp:

I'm not a huge sub fan myself. Takes way too much concentration to watch them. I'm way too ADD for that

I've been watching subbed anime for 12 years, so it's second nature to me at this point. I can see how it would be difficult for someone just starting out, or whom doesn't watch subbed anime very often.

I have shiny object syndrome too, by the way.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
I watch most TV episodes with close captioning on and most anime with subs so that I can say that I read a story every night.

Besides web pages and this forum it's the only reading of any significance that I do.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

I gave in and tried it again. I feel like I'm watching the same reruns from when I originally subscribed 5 months ago. Cancelled... again

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to cp

Premium Member

to cp
Crunchyroll does pretty much the same thing..but better. Seems like every couple months, I get another 30 day trial offer...
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

said by sivran:

Crunchyroll does pretty much the same thing..but better. Seems like every couple months, I get another 30 day trial offer...

Crunchyroll is actually worth it, imo, especially with the shows that get simulcast. They got a ton of great anime this season (i'm currently following 8 different shows via crunchyroll) and the yearly fee makes it quite cheap (and well worth it for the amount of streaming I do).

Also, the random deal of the day for premium members isn't bad either. They had a really cheap 1/100 model of Unicorn Gundam on sale the other day that I picked up :3

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by Gandalf4503:

said by sivran:

Crunchyroll is actually worth it, imo, especially with the shows that get simulcast.

+1. I've been a "premium" member since 2009. I'm actually kinda annoyed at all the "me too!" sites that have been popping up the past few years though. Sorry Neon Alley, I think we should just stick with the original
said by Gandalf4503:

Also, the random deal of the day for premium members isn't bad either. They had a really cheap 1/100 model of Unicorn Gundam on sale the other day that I picked up :3

I liked it much better before CR got a store. There have been quite a few deals in the past, but I feel that ever since they got a whole store the "deals" have been pretty bleah. I've seen a couple recently that I was interested in, but a quick look shows it available for the same price if not slightly cheaper at RightStuf (heh, I still have my original membership card from '02 or so too They've added a couple digits to the member ID numbers since then...)

/M