join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to intok

MVM

to intok

Re: food from cast iron skillet may taste funny

said by intok:

said by signmeuptoo94:

Roommates cast iron pans would lose the rust resistance and it was difficult to get it back.

how did they use the pans? You aren't supposed to wash them like other pans, you should never try to soak them. . .

I've never had a problem soaking my pans, provided, of course, that it's not more than a few hours. The thing you never, never want to do though is use dish soap. After soaking, if needed, I use a bristle brush and then rinse and wipe with a paper towel.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi

Premium Member

said by javaMan:

The thing you never, never want to do though is use dish soap.

I am not sure why people keeps saying this, its one of those wives tales that will never die. 100% false. If the pan or pot is seasoned correctly you certainly can use a mild dish detergent.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by Bruschi:

said by javaMan:

I am not sure why people keeps saying this, its one of those wives tales that will never die. 100% false. If the pan or pot is seasoned correctly you certainly can use a mild dish detergent.

Call it an "old wives tale" if you must (to each his/her own) but that has not been my experience after 50+ years of using them nor my grandmother's for that matter. They do cook much better without using dish soap.

DaMan666
Premium Member
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN

DaMan666

Premium Member

sorry. Clean your dishes. (and your wooden spoons) please
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

said by DaMan666:

sorry. Clean your dishes. (and your wooden spoons) please

No.

DaMan666
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

DaMan666

Premium Member

Unless you are Mexican, or any other food str8

'dsependent"wash your dishes.Your buds and immune system will thank you
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

said by DaMan666:

'dsependent"wash your dishes.Your buds and immune system will thank you

Nah, taken care of properly there is no risk. Your immune system has to be challenged if you want to make it stronger and thus not be sick all the time. People that coat their house in lysol every day are constantly sick since they never get dirty.
said by DaMan666:

Unless you are Mexican, or any other food str8

And what are you trying to imply with this?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Bruschi

Premium Member

to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

said by javaMan:

I only have one small cast iron skillet (all other cookware is Revereware copper bottom now around 50 years old with some 75 years or more old as it was my mother's only cookware also). I've had the cast iron skillet for probably 40-50 years and I don't recall ever seasoning it. It has a wooden handle so it can't go in the oven anyway. I wash it regularly by hand with the same dish soap I use for all my dishes.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

You only have to season it if it's new, rusted or you do something to ruin the existing season. The longer you use it the better it gets. If your pan has a 40+ year old season built up then you have a great pan.

I didn't inherit any good cookware but I am a pretty good cook, so I'm building my own set of individual pieces I like.

I did my cast iron grill grates in a camp fire. Got em hot and soaked em in a mix of bacon fat and peanut oil. It was 102f outside, the AC could barely keep up and I wasn't about to use the oven to do it. Yeah, most of the things I do shouldn't be done by most people, I do them because I never get hurt or destroy things unless that was the original end goal.

DaMan666
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

DaMan666 to intok

Premium Member

to intok
I agree with your first comment, and I just mean culinary flavors on the second. If you cook mex one day, hungarian the next, I dont see how you can season anything