spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550

Does Shaw still offer PowerBoost?

I used to have Shaw, but in 2011 made the switch to Telus Optik TV/Internet. I'm wondering if Shaw still offers PowerBoost or not.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

The plans that used to have PowerBoost (legacy) plans which can still be ordered, still have PowerBoost, the new BroadBand plans, BB10 BB20 BB25 and the like do not have PowerBoost

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012

Anon

the old legency plans yes but since you on telus, if you go back to Shaw, you not going to get the power boost cause they will get you on those new plans. so it better stick what you have, you know telus now has 50 megs with telus TV if you are fiber area.

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550

Ah, I see. Thanks for all your responses. Was there a reason why PowerBoost was discontinued? It seemed like such a great feature.
I would receive download speeds of up to 14 Mbit/s while I was on the 7.5 Mbit/s High Speed plan.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

It was only on the 7.5 plan, Extreme didn't have it,
IMO, it really wasn't that useful, except in speedtests

7.5 that would burst to what 20? For the first 1MB of a download?
Loading large pictures from fast servers on webpages is the only situation where it would help.

If you are on (or sign up for) High-Speed (as far as I am aware it just isn't advertised anymore) you will still get the PowerBoost.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Tornado15550

to Tornado15550
Agreed, it wasn't that useful. Only have an extremely brief burst of download speed. I would rather see a higher sustainable speed.