join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Andy from CA

Premium Member

to Andy from CA

Re: [WIN8] Windows 'Blue' to be Windows 8.1

said by Andy from CA:

Just give me back my start button (menus) and I'll be

According to Mary Jo Foley, you will be able to boot directly to the desktop and probably also the start button will be brought back as an option.

»www.zdnet.com/microsofts ··· 0014075/

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

quote:
Microsoft officials have publicly maintained that users are not confused by the new Windows 8 interface and that they find it "easy to start to learn,"
Yeah, right.

And I have dozens of MS buildings for sale in Redmond.
quote:
especially on touch screens.
OK, it's somewhat easier on a comparatively small touch screen.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

According to Mary Jo Foley, you will be able to boot directly to the desktop and probably also the start button will be brought back as an option.

Would I be pushing my luck to hope they restore Aero Glass?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I doubt Microsoft will do that. But you can follow this very long thread which is about Aero glass for Win 8 in beta:

»www.msfn.org/board/topic ··· _st__760

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

I consider Mary Jo Foley and her sources credible but to be fair she was talking in terms of "if" so even if its likely its not definitive even by her own words.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

Excellent news, Mahalo!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
She wasn't the only source that is saying this.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Mele20:

She wasn't the only source that is saying this.

What is your point?
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

All I was says was that Mary Jo Foley didn't state it as an undisputed fact but rather was talking in terms of "if" or probabilities. That's it,...

You're statement about what she said with respect to booting to the desktop was overstated.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

You and I read different articles I guess. So.....

I can't imagine how you could not understand my point in stating that many articles have said the same thing.

There are very few absolute certainties in life. Microsoft could declare bankruptcy and not even release Windows 8.1.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

Microsoft's Blue: What will developers do?
Mary Jo Foley - April 22, 2013

If Microsoft brings back the Start Button and adds a boot-to-desktop option with Windows Blue, should Windows developers still be counting on Metro as their future?
quote:
Since I blogged last week about Microsoft mulling the return of the Start Button and a boot-directly-to-desktop option in Windows Blue, I've heard from a number of developers wondering what the latest Windows plan means for them.
..continue reading.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Start button, but no menu. Heh.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

1 recommendation

Andy from CA

Premium Member

said by sivran:

Start button, but no menu. Heh.

If that's true why have the start button at all? If it doesn't act like the start button of old it may as well trigger a sound effect like a buzzer or that "wha wha whaaaah!" when you guess and get it wrong.

It's Microsoft's Lucy & the football. Sorry Charlie.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

You and I read different articles I guess. So.....

I can't imagine how you could not understand my point in stating that many articles have said the same thing.

There are very few absolute certainties in life. Microsoft could declare bankruptcy and not even release Windows 8.1.

said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

We read the same article from Mary Jo Foley and that is what I was referring to.

Mary Jo Foley stated it as a possibility to be able to boot to the desktop but you essentially worded it as a factual inevitability according to her.

Its a subtle point but one worth making. I'm sorry if you can't see that.

Either the functionality will be there or it wont but since Mary Jo is a professional and took time to say whatever it was she intended to say, I see no reason to put words in her mouth.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I said what I said not what you persist in saying I said. Talk about putting your words in someone else's mouth...geez.

You read a different article.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

3 edits

Octavean

MVM

What you said is in the quote:
said by Mele20:

You didn't say she said you might be able to,...you said she said "will be able to",...

Maybe you did not read the Mary Jo Foley article you linked to (that would explain a few things), fine.

I was only referring to that article and you're quoted statement above of what Mary Jo said. Mary Jo Foley did not say "you will be able to boot directly to the desktop" in that linked article. Thats a definite statement that you asserted on your own. If you were citing other articles when you said this you should have said that then rather then saying Mary Jo Foley said it and providing a link where she did "not" say it.

That is the only point I was making.

I think its a fairly clear point too.

Rather then addressing that, you're going off on a vague tangent of other articles,....

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

But according to MJF, the start button will just be the button, not the menu. And possibly not on "home" versions of the OS. Maybe. If it comes out at all. (Per the 20 minute discussion she and Paul T. had about this on the Windows Weekly Podcast this past thursday)

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

But according to MJF, the start button will just be the button, not the menu. And possibly not on "home" versions of the OS. Maybe. If it comes out at all. (Per the 20 minute discussion she and Paul T. had about this on the Windows Weekly Podcast this past thursday)

Which again, presumably means that instead of being stuck in the one corner, the button will move with the taskbar. 'cus, y'know, the button is still there.

I think either Microsoft misunderstands that people want the button with its attached menu, or Microsoft IS delivering the attached menu and everyone else just misunderstands that.

I kinda doubt the latter.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

I know that this has been said before...but I would not be using Windows 8 unless Classic Shell was available. Microsoft continues to miss the boat as to what the majority of their customers want and what they want is a full featured start menu with a button. Windows 8 is fine. I like it, but I must confess that I do not really use many apps...if any. But combined with my recent SSD install in my i7 laptop, Windows 8 is fast, stable, and nice. Boots up in seconds. But in other forums I visit, the overwhelming feeling is that people will not use Windows 8 on their systems. They dislike Metro and could care less about upgrading from what they currently are using. Even with 8.1 I do not think that Microsoft is understanding what their customers desire.

»www.neowin.net/news/ouch ··· era-lows