Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DarkFlow

join:2011-09-04
Lakeside, CA
reply to Cox User

Re: [CA] Upgrades SoCal?

So not only have I have not gotten the upgrade yet here in San Diego, I've actually LOST 2 up load channels. I used to have 4, now I'm back to 2 again. Really cox, this shit is getting out of hand.

cookiesowns

join:2010-08-31
Irvine, CA
reply to Waitn
Yes, I've been noticing the same thing with the routing changes. It seems that COX has turned off some direct peering up in LA, and are going through their own peering link.

I'm thinking CA is taking so long simply because of the lack of 10G backhaul available in the OC area to their CO. Fiber isn't exactly prominent in the OC area..

COX already has 100G to LA but that doesn't do much when certain peering fabrics they use are already quite saturated at peak times.. I see plenty of routes now traversing SJ/Palo Alto instead of going through LA for optimal routing which kills about 6-8MS. I'm guessing this is because COX allocates 160G to Arizona from LA and the upgrades there are causing some load on the most likely 1G peering fabrics.

TL;DR, give it some time, the upgrade will get here once they beef up the network to sustain load and fibers are laid.

»www.coxbusinessaz.com/converted/···heet.php

bleomycin

join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA
I've noticed this as well, it's completely destroyed routes to a lot of my colo in LA, 85ms pings to LA now..yay! Cox and savvis are only peering in Dallas so if you're taking savvis to your destination good luck with that. What an absolute joke. Also for the lack of fiber in the OC area, i'm not so sure of that. Level3/globalcrossing have a very large presence in Anaheim (I had cage space in the same facility not long ago) and they have the capacity to pull in 100G if you like.

Cox has historically been completely incompetent with managing their network in the OC area, months of extreme loss between cox and level3 in LA were common not long ago. I ran complaints up the flag pole as high as possible and it was obvious they just did not care. It was so bad I was looking into San Diego colo to route all of my own home traffic that direction as anything passing through LA was just getting destroyed.

cookiesowns

Irvine, CA
Find colo that's using nLayer. COX seems to be half decent with nLayer, and RAS can often play with outbound routes to not do hot potato from various other POPs facilities.

That said, I guess my OC statement was a bit off, when I meant OC I specifically target the Irvine, Newport area. I don't really consider Anaheim as OC.

Latisys has a very nice Irvine facility that you might want to check out, I believe they also peer/transit with COX.

bleomycin

Newport Coast, CA

1 edit
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions. I'm very familiar with colo in the OC area and have toured both latisys facilities. Unless they've changed very recently latisys is not carrier neutral (I have bandwidth commits I need to bring in) which sunk the deal among other things, and alchemy was just...hilarious.

You would think cox would always have great routing to level3 because they utilize them for most of their transit/transport (unless that has changed very recently too), but nope. The colo options in OC area are pretty disappointing in general, they mostly cater to local corporations that are completely ignorant of colo pricing nationally.

cookiesowns

Irvine, CA
And I thought I was the only one around here that thought the same...

COX used to have great routing to and from Level3, but with the recent migration of some routes to SJC, and I believe they are finally doing hot potato in Dallas.. it's not that great.

Level 3 in general has always been iffy on certain eyeball routes though.., not as bad as cogent to UUNET/Verizon though

Latisys has a few onnet carriers and the rest are back hauled. However their internal capacity is quite baffling, only 16gbit for their operation? Hell I have 40G+ of aggregate just for a small suite. Pretty sure you can crossconnect to your own choice of carriers, I've inquired about it last time, but ended up going with a facility up in LA.

»www.latisys.com/images/IrvineNet···gram.pdf

PS: Sorry for off topic mods!

rdsport323

join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA
Wow, everything you guys are saying sounds so interesting. I wish I knew what it meant. Where would i go to find information on all of this?

cookiesowns

Irvine, CA
Various forums, or simple google.

What in particular are you interested in? Try webhostingtalk as well, very common there for this type of verbage.

your username doesn't happen to be affiliated with Racing Dynamics does it?

Ok, seriously off topic here, with that said.. Just noticed some downtime last night with our net, still bonding the same signals, but I figure we're still inline for Late sept / october release of the new packages, since COX business is already showing they are offering 150mbps cable packages... Although I don't know the pricing.

bleomycin

Newport Coast, CA
Ooohh cox business is offering 150Mbit cable in OC now? That's at least slightly encouraging.

bleomycin

Newport Coast, CA
reply to Cox User
I called cox out of curiosity to see how much the 150Mbit business plan was and they had no idea what i was talking about. The website says 150Mbps right under business internet though.. »ww2.cox.com/business/orangecount···rnet.cox

DarkFlow

Lakeside, CA
Yeah it says the same here in San Diego. Only on the front page, if you click it and look at the packages, it only goes up to 15.

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA
reply to bleomycin
Having just upgraded my COX Business Home Office internet here in OC, I can say the highest speed listed on the rate sheet was 50/5. Reading the article below, looks like both Rez and Bus got the upgrade at the same time. Fingers crossed.

»www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/morn···ont.html

jincuteguy

join:2003-10-12
San Diego, CA
So does this mean we still have hope for a speed increase in Oct?

DarkFlow

Lakeside, CA
Hah Don't count on it. Looks like OK is next, with SoCal getting it oh.... Sometime in 2018 or so.

Get faster

@cox.net
Was just bugging a friend of mine about this, according to him the speed up upgrades are coming to CA in October and November. Something about the schedule for completing CMTS hardware upgrades to support the speeds is making it stretch out over 30 days for the state.

I'll see if I can tease any deeper info out of him.

zac2003

join:2002-02-24
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DarkFlow
what makes you say Oklahoma is next on the list to get it? thats where I am located and I can't find any info out.

Waitn

@cox.net
reply to Get faster
So the New Orleans customers got notified of their upgrade "in just a few short weeks". Did anyone see an email like that yet here in SoCal?

I love how their large California market (Cox's largest?) is probably the last one upgraded. Total crap call, IMO. But then again, they know this.

LAME.

rdsport323

Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Cox User
I was told, upgrades for Socal are coming in October,

*AND*

There will be like a $6 increase on monthly internet rate plans.

bleomycin

Newport Coast, CA

1 recommendation

Can I ask who told you october? I just ask because so many before have claimed to know when upgrades are coming and i'm not sure anyone has been correct for any city yet.

OldGeek

join:2013-04-12
Encinitas, CA
reply to rdsport323
said by rdsport323:

*AND*

There will be like a $6 increase on monthly internet rate plans.

LOL....who could have possibly seen THAT coming?

rdsport323

Irvine, CA
reply to bleomycin
Well.. I'm guessing the guy at the Cox Retail store said October because, how many of us would be pissed as hell if they were going to increase our rates w/o giving us any sort of... (i cant think of the word)...

So yeah, only one thing is for certain, is that our rates will increase by $6 come october. That way cox can at last say the $6 increase is partially do to the upgrades.. or something.

jincuteguy

join:2003-10-12
San Diego, CA
Just talked to my local Cox Rep and she said the speed upgrade will be released on Oct 31st.

Waitn

@cox.net
Every unofficial "estimate" someone hears from a Cox employee seems to be random and never matches what someone else says they heard. I thought these upgrades were just around the corner....way back in March!

Anyway, I might as well throw in the two cents I just got - the Cox rep just told me on the phone that the San Diego and OC upgrades are hitting "mid-October". Interestingly, this came with some supposed bad news that the SoCal area is only going up to 100Mbps instead of 150Mbps for the Ultimate tier. All the tiers are a bit lower speeds than those found in the other upgraded markets. They said the infrastructure is older here. This all sounds like BS to me, but that's what they said.

Yes, we are treated like fungi - kept in the dark and fed a bunch of BS.

rdsport323

Irvine, CA
Like I said before, I do believe in the October launch for the upgrades.. why? Because they are increasing the rates on our internet service. So, to make the rate increase easier to swallow, they are going to justify it by saying they are upgrading their stuff to keep up with current technology blah blah.

Metal Head
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA
reply to Cox User
Last night about 9:50 on Discovery HD I seen a cox commercial about their speed increasing and at the end of it, it said coming soon.

So hopefully we don't have to wait to much longer.
--

eekthecat

join:2009-10-15
Irvine, CA
reply to Cox User
I think I'd rather see a bump in upstream speed and (another) increase in our monthly caps...

JoshuaCA

join:2011-04-06
Chula Vista, CA
reply to Cox User
Speed upgrades are coming soon - They will roll through CA from mid October through mid November depending on where in CA you are.

Sorry for no specific dates, but there are still hardware/software upgrades to be completed on the CMTS side, and the actual changes to update the cable modems take multiple nights to complete (we can only do x many per night).

Things do slide around a bit, and we don't like to promise a specific date that may move.

I can't comment quite yet on the specific speeds CA will be getting, but I'm sure you all are very familiar with looking at other regions and making educated guesses based on that. I'll post the official speeds as soon as I can.

CoxxUser

@cox.net
Who are you JoshuaCA? Are you a reliable source of information? Everyone already knows there is no dates for upgrades for CA users.

JoshuaCA

join:2011-04-06
Chula Vista, CA
said by Anon80:

Who are you JoshuaCA? Are you a reliable source of information? Everyone already knows there is no dates for upgrades for CA users.

Just a Cox employee (wherever the approved poster list went...) trying to help out. I'd like to think I'm quite reliable, I guess time will tell

Metal Head
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI