Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdsport323

join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA
reply to bleomycin

Re: [CA] Upgrades SoCal?

Well.. I'm guessing the guy at the Cox Retail store said October because, how many of us would be pissed as hell if they were going to increase our rates w/o giving us any sort of... (i cant think of the word)...

So yeah, only one thing is for certain, is that our rates will increase by $6 come october. That way cox can at last say the $6 increase is partially do to the upgrades.. or something.

jincuteguy

join:2003-10-12
San Diego, CA
Just talked to my local Cox Rep and she said the speed upgrade will be released on Oct 31st.

Waitn

@cox.net
Every unofficial "estimate" someone hears from a Cox employee seems to be random and never matches what someone else says they heard. I thought these upgrades were just around the corner....way back in March!

Anyway, I might as well throw in the two cents I just got - the Cox rep just told me on the phone that the San Diego and OC upgrades are hitting "mid-October". Interestingly, this came with some supposed bad news that the SoCal area is only going up to 100Mbps instead of 150Mbps for the Ultimate tier. All the tiers are a bit lower speeds than those found in the other upgraded markets. They said the infrastructure is older here. This all sounds like BS to me, but that's what they said.

Yes, we are treated like fungi - kept in the dark and fed a bunch of BS.

rdsport323

Irvine, CA
Like I said before, I do believe in the October launch for the upgrades.. why? Because they are increasing the rates on our internet service. So, to make the rate increase easier to swallow, they are going to justify it by saying they are upgrading their stuff to keep up with current technology blah blah.

Metal Head
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA
reply to Cox User
Last night about 9:50 on Discovery HD I seen a cox commercial about their speed increasing and at the end of it, it said coming soon.

So hopefully we don't have to wait to much longer.
--

eekthecat

join:2009-10-15
Irvine, CA
reply to Cox User
I think I'd rather see a bump in upstream speed and (another) increase in our monthly caps...

JoshuaCA

join:2011-04-06
Chula Vista, CA
reply to Cox User
Speed upgrades are coming soon - They will roll through CA from mid October through mid November depending on where in CA you are.

Sorry for no specific dates, but there are still hardware/software upgrades to be completed on the CMTS side, and the actual changes to update the cable modems take multiple nights to complete (we can only do x many per night).

Things do slide around a bit, and we don't like to promise a specific date that may move.

I can't comment quite yet on the specific speeds CA will be getting, but I'm sure you all are very familiar with looking at other regions and making educated guesses based on that. I'll post the official speeds as soon as I can.

CoxxUser

@cox.net
Who are you JoshuaCA? Are you a reliable source of information? Everyone already knows there is no dates for upgrades for CA users.

JoshuaCA

Chula Vista, CA
said by Anon80:

Who are you JoshuaCA? Are you a reliable source of information? Everyone already knows there is no dates for upgrades for CA users.

Just a Cox employee (wherever the approved poster list went...) trying to help out. I'd like to think I'm quite reliable, I guess time will tell

Metal Head
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

SDKiwi
VIP
join:2002-05-27
El Cajon, CA
kudos:2
reply to JoshuaCA
I will vouch for Joshua

DarkFlow

join:2011-09-04
Lakeside, CA
reply to JoshuaCA
said by JoshuaCA:

Speed upgrades are coming soon - They will roll through CA from mid October through mid November depending on where in CA you are.

Sorry for no specific dates, but there are still hardware/software upgrades to be completed on the CMTS side, and the actual changes to update the cable modems take multiple nights to complete (we can only do x many per night).

Things do slide around a bit, and we don't like to promise a specific date that may move.

I can't comment quite yet on the specific speeds CA will be getting, but I'm sure you all are very familiar with looking at other regions and making educated guesses based on that. I'll post the official speeds as soon as I can.

Thank you, this is all I've ever wanted out of cox. I never need a date, just some info on a time frame.

jincuteguy

San Diego, CA
October 31st guys, mark the date for San Diego area.

Dsm1995

join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA
"October 31st guys, mark the date for San Diego area." got a source?

is it city or county wide? im located by sdsu area. I believe we were one of the 1st area to go live back in 1996. I have a d2 moto sb5101u and im on 18/2 perfered plan... what kind of increase is it ? more upload/download? will I need to get a d3 modem? I had no issues with my current moto unit

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA
reply to JoshuaCA
said by JoshuaCA:

Can you (or anyone else) speak to if cox business customers (home office) will also be included in the speed upgrade? Thanks!

jincuteguy

San Diego, CA
reply to Dsm1995
said by Dsm1995:

is it city or county wide? im located by sdsu area. I believe we were one of the 1st area to go live back in 1996. I have a d2 moto sb5101u and im on 18/2 perfered plan... what kind of increase is it ? more upload/download? will I need to get a d3 modem? I had no issues with my current moto unit

Im talking about the San Diego city area, Im near SDSU too. I think the speed increase will be 50 / 10 for Premiere, 25/5 for Preferred. Not sure about Ultimate, but it will be either 100 / 20 or 150 / 20.

spanglo
Premium
join:2004-05-17
San Diego, CA
reply to Cox User
Well thanks for the update Joshua.

Hopefully everything is sorted out by mid November, in time for the new console launches. Us gamers are going to be using the connection a lot starting Nov 15th!

jincuteguy

San Diego, CA
reply to Dsm1995
said by Dsm1995:

I don't have a source, but the Oct 31st date is from the Cox Tech Rep when I called in to get rid of my cable TV channels. And I'm a 13 years customer with Cox. So the TEch was giving me a 1 year discount on the Internet for being a long time customer. Then the Tech told me about the speed increase on Oct 31st. So that's where I got the info from.

JmGx

join:2003-04-08
San Diego, CA
reply to jincuteguy
said by jincuteguy:

Im talking about the San Diego city area, Im near SDSU too. I think the speed increase will be 50 / 10 for Premiere, 25/5 for Preferred. Not sure about Ultimate, but it will be either 100 / 20 or 150 / 20.

I really hope it's greater than 50/10...I was planning on upgrading to Premier if it was 50/20...

jt25741

join:2008-12-21
Aliso Viejo, CA
Noticed 8 bonded down and 3 up in Aliso (from 4/1 before)......must have have happened pretty recently. So far the upstream speed is not capped.... so hard to tell what it will be when they dial everything in . Is it supposed to go from 2mbps to 5mbps premiere?

CoxUser

@cox.net
I have had 8 down and 3 up for a while now here in Rancho Santa Margarita. Just means a more stable connection.

Cable Modem State
DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 12.5 dBmV 40.9 dB
Channel 2: 13.3 dBmV 42.1 dB
Channel 3: 13.4 dBmV 41.6 dB
Channel 4: 13.6 dBmV 41.4 dB
Channel 5: 13.6 dBmV 41.7 dB
Channel 6: 12.5 dBmV 40.5 dB
Channel 7: 12.2 dBmV 40.1 dB
Channel 8: 11.8 dBmV 40.1 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 39.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 41.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 41.5 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

jincuteguy

San Diego, CA
reply to jt25741
said by jt25741:

Noticed 8 bonded down and 3 up in Aliso (from 4/1 before)......must have have happened pretty recently. So far the upstream speed is not capped.... so hard to tell what it will be when they dial everything in . Is it supposed to go from 2mbps to 5mbps premiere?

Premiere should be 10Mpbs upload, not 5.

rdsport323

Irvine, CA

1 edit
No... Premiere and preferred are both only 2mb upload =/

jincuteguy

San Diego, CA
said by rdsport323:

No... Premiere and preferred are both only 2mb upload =/

so hard to tell what it will be when they dial everything in . Is it supposed to go from 2mbps to 5mbps premiere?

Read carefully what rdsport323 said

Im talking about speed increase when it activates on Oct 31st. Right now yes both are 2Mbps upload. But soon will be 5Mpbs (Preferred) and 10Mpbs (Premiere)

JoshuaCA

Chula Vista, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Cox User
Well, it's not much of a secret at this point - some other regions have gone through changes, and the San Diego version of Cox.com has "2x our top speeds", seen at »ww2.cox.com/residential/sandiego···1813_z_2

To help remove any confusion, speculation and misinformation, the current speeds posted on Cox.com (ignoring powerboost) are up to:
Preferred - 18/2
Premier - 25/2
Ultimate - 50/5

New speeds will be up to:
Preferred - 25/5
Premier - 50/10
Ultimate - 100/20

One notable caveate to the new Premier speeds - you MUST have a D3 modem to get the new speeds. D2 modems will remain at the exising 25/2, as they cannot support the 50/10 throughput.

All Ultimate customers are already on D3's and should not have any issues.

The roll-out plan (mid-Oct through mid-Nov) as posted above is still in place. Looking forward to seeing the first "I Got It!" posts

*quick typo edit*

jincuteguy

San Diego, CA
Thanks Joshua, I can't wait for it, it's been a very long wait.

Anon00
Premium
join:2001-09-25
USA
kudos:1
reply to JoshuaCA
Any idea what the new data caps will be?

jincuteguy

San Diego, CA
said by Anon00:

Any idea what the new data caps will be?

Data cap should remain the same, I doubt they will increase it.

Anon00
Premium
join:2001-09-25
USA
kudos:1
said by jincuteguy:

, I doubt

They have in the past, but we'll see.

Waitn

@cox.net
reply to JoshuaCA
said by JoshuaCA:

New speeds will be up to:
Preferred - 25/5
Premier - 50/10
Ultimate - 100/20

Josh (or any other official Cox support here in this forum), I have to ask....why in the world would Cox plan to upgrade SoCal to only a max of 100/20 on Ultimate when almost every other market upgraded to date increased to 150/20? Or was that just a typo?