Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA

Trying to figure out if I have 4G

'Ey all,

I recently purchased a new smart phone (ATT network, Galaxy S3) and have noticed it has a "4G" icon at the top of the phone. When I travel to larger cities I notice the icon changes to "4G LTE". I figured "4G"

At my home I have found my smartphone is able to get up to around 2mb/s whilst the "4G" icon shows. Due to the speed tests I always assumed it was just a new marketing tactic my phone uses to relabel 3G as 4G. Then label actual 4G as "4G LTE"

However, I recently found my phone getting around 10mb/s which leads me to believe I actually have 4G in my area.

I checked all of the coverage maps with various different companies and have found nothing showing that I have 4G coverage in my area.

On a side note, in the past 2 months I have seen all of the towers I normally drive by being worked on by guys, one tower had a guy working there for about 1-2 weeks. Not sure if this would indicate 4G expansion or just maintenance.

The 10mb/s would indicate I have 4G access in my area, aye? Hoping I can enable 4G access on my millenicom plan.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

1 edit

Millenicom doesn't use AT&T as a upstream provider. If you want 4G/LTE through Millenicom it needs to be via Verizon. What you are seeing on your phone is likely HSPA+
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

boondockEVDO

USA

Aye, knew ATT wasn't a provider (Currently using the BYOD 3G via sprint) but didn't know the 4G provider was Verizon, thanks.

Looked up coverage on Sensorly.com (not sure how reliable it is) but it seems people's phones are picking up 4G access via both Sprint and ATT in my area. No coverage from Verizon though according to sensorly but that could just be because no one has uploaded verizon tracking to that site.

I checked out the verizon site's coverage map and found this:

So it seems that LTE is only about 2-3 miles to my south. Will have to do some testing (not sure if the parabolic grid antenna could pick that up)

I guess I will have to do some testing to see where the signal is. Not too sure how accurate the coverage maps are anyways, when I first signed on with millenicom it showed I didn't even have 3G coverage in my area despite a tower being 1.5 miles away.

Going to talk to millenicom to see what my options are regarding switching to 4G verizon.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

If Sprint has 4G/LTE coverage at your location you could swap your 3G modem for a Sierra Wireless Tri-Fi Hotspot and keep your BYOD plan.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

boondockEVDO

USA

1 edit

Ah great, will have to try to do some testing with a sprint device to see if I actually do get 4G out here.

Thanks for the help, Jim.

boondockEVDO

USA

1 edit
reply to boondockEVDO

Just got back from testing with my ATT device, pretty solid 10-9 Mb/s near my area (less than a mile) which was surprising as I live in a very rural area.

Going to assume the sensorly.com coverage map was correct about sprint offering 4G in my area too.

Is the Tri-fi the only good option for a 4G capable sprint modem?

I've read that plugging it in reduces the speed which seems a bit rubbish.

Also did some browsing and have been finding mostly expensive options for the Tri-Fi ($100+), price isn't that big of a deal though.

*Edit* Also forgot to mention that I have a parabolic grid antenna 2.4 GHz 24 dBi, will this still be usable with 4G?

boondockEVDO

USA

1 edit
reply to boondockEVDO

-Post Removed-
Going to make a new thread since topic has changed