spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdglazerman

join:2010-03-31
New Baden, IL

Whole Home DVR System No Longer Compatible ??

I've had the triple play for 2 years. Our most recent bill was $25 more than we'd been paying for the last 12 months, despite a "$44 customer loyalty credit" so I contacted charter top try and reduce my bill.

Long story short, I was offered (and accepted) their triple play silver with all the movie channels for about $50 less. Good deal !! Then I'm told that the new triple play isn't compatible with my current whole home DVR system due to a code upgrade and I'll need to swap all my receivers for new individual DVR's !!

I called again this morning to see if I could use my existing equipment and was told that if the DVR service operating on my current equipment hadn't stopped working already, it soon would (It's still working and I have my new movie channels so the new package has been applied to my account). I'm perfectly happy with my current setup of receivers and I (and my 4 year old daughter !!) don't want to lose some of the shows and movies I have recorded. Is it really true that my current equipment will not work with the new package ? Apart from a minor channel lineup change, I don't really see what has changed from a technology point of view ?

For your reference I have the Motorola DCX3501-M primary DVR, another Motorala secondary HD receiver and a standard definition receiver.

Any input gratefully received !!

Mark Glazerman

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Nothing much you can do, this is why the cable company's equipment blow chunks.
Would be better to get your own PVR, and get a cable card and never have to worry about this kind of stuff again.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to mdglazerman

I had the "Whole House" DVRs and replaced them with Tivos about 6~8 months ago. I may have to call for PPVs (don't care I'd never use it) and VOD (don't care either ..). And haven't looked back. I can add as I wish and tweak my HDs at will. With Netflix and Amazon built-in, I'm good to go.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to mdglazerman

The incompatibility lies in the drop in support for the Moca technology the whole-home DVR system relies upon. You should be able to keep your current DVR and use it without the ability to access recordings from other boxes in the home.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to mdglazerman

Deleted. Dup. post.

mdglazerman

New Baden, IL
reply to passerby

The good news is that although I have lost the ability to access recordings from other rooms, they are letting me keep my primary DVR and just return the secondary ones. It's still a bit of a P.I.T.A but on the plus side, I'm saving $50/month and there's no contract !!

InTheKnow

@charter.com

If you're going to have a settop box on each tv you can have ha dvr at each location for same price as reg boxes. $5 ea. Up to 4 dvrs supported by the 19.99 dvr service charge.

mdglazerman

New Baden, IL
reply to mdglazerman

So the plot thickens. Switched out my 2 secondary receivers only to have my primary DVR (with all my recordings on it) stop working. After over an hour on the phone with support it turns out that the serial number for this unit had been removed from my account by the woman at the local office when the other receivers were switched out. As this equipment is no longer supported, they can't add it back in so even after being told I could keep my primary DVR, I'm having a new unit brought out tomorrow. One question I have regarding this is are the HDD's inside the DVR's interchangeable ? I'm moving from a Motorola DCX3501-M to a DCX3510-M. Could I have the technician switch the HDD when he comes out tomorrow ?

As for being able to have 4 DVR's for the price of 1 with the ability to record 8 shows at once, that's great if I want to watch recorded shows in my daughters room or if our daughter wants to playback shows in our room. The whole home DVR system meant we could watch anything recorded anywhere in the house. Now we're tied to watching shows on the device that recorded them. In addition - how about charter releases a DVR with more than 2 tuners ?? the Tivo I had back in 2006 had 2 tuners. I'll make do with the setup as is for now but a 6 tuner genie setup from directv is sounding pretty appealing right now !!

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2
reply to mdglazerman

The boxes are sealed so the tech sould not be able to swap the HDD. I may be able to correct the issue if it is what I think it is. PM sent.

mdglazerman

New Baden, IL

Just for everyone elses reference, fnord76 has managed to add this DVR back onto my account. I'm just waiting to see if I get all the functionality back as currently I can see the recorded shows under the DVR menu but can't play any of them back. Hopefully this is a temporary glitch and we'll be back up and running shortly. Many thanks fnord76 who went out of his way to help !!

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to mdglazerman

..... more reasons I switched to Tivos . You can watch anything anywhere. 1 unit I have is 4 tuners and the other 2. The next one I buy will have 4. My Mini (no drives or tuner) slaves off them as well, but can't record except to record off the 4 tuner one..... The 2 also record from Amazon and view from Netflix. The Mini will be Netflix capable in a future update. The down side is the reoccurring monthly charges are more, but I get the enjoyment from the added features.