jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

[WIN7] Can someone please 'splain Windows 7 home Premium Upgrade

I see this offered for sale but nowhere have I found an explanation of what it is.

For some crazy reason I assume it is RETAIL but I have no idea how it works. Newegg seems to offer no help.

If it is what I think it is, I'm ready to order.

Anyone?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Re: [WIN7] Can someone please 'splain Windows 7 home Premium Upg

This sort of thing?

»www.amazon.com/Microsoft ··· 02DHLUWK

See under 'product details'.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by dave:

This sort of thing?

»www.amazon.com/Microsoft ··· 02DHLUWK

See under 'product details'.

Yes, Dave but still it tells me little. I wonder if it's like an XP upgrade where you start the install process and then are asked for a qualifying OS, you show them your Windows 98 disc and away you go.

I do see some info in small print.

Is that the way it works?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Ah, I see your question now. Sorry, don't know for sure.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

1 edit

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by dave:

Ah, I see your question now. Sorry, don't know for sure.

Maybe you must have the OS installed. I wish it was clear. That would be OK, I guess computers handle 32 bit.

Anyway, I am in the process of building my third Win 7 box. It would be nice to save a few bucks.

Many thanks Dave. Have a great weekend.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to jadinolf

MVM

to jadinolf
Windows 7 Upgrade does not look for an existing OS, nor does it require an original install disk to read before installation; but it does require a valid Product Key for activation.

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook whose HDD died catastrophically. For some reason, I failed to test my restore disks and backups, so had to start from scratch (note to self: Test backups!)

I have the Windows 7 Home Premium "Family" Upgrade (3x licenses). I ran the install disk for a clean install. Everything ran smoothly. I then ran the "Windows Activation Change Key", and used the Product Key from the case label of the laptop. I received another key to enter, and it activated without a hitch.

The point is, you need an existing Product Key which was never activated on another computer.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Thanks, Norman.

So, if I buy this OS and I have a activation key for an XP disc that has never been activated the Win 7 Home Premium OS will be activated?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by jadinolf:

Thanks, Norman.

So, if I buy this OS and I have a activation key for an XP disc that has never been activated the Win 7 Home Premium OS will be activated?

I don't see why not, if you use the Windows Activation Change Key, then enter the XP key.

Should add, as long as the Windows XP product is not, itself, an Upgrade.

One last comment: In my case, everything was Home Prenium; not sure what would happen with a mismatch, such as XP Pro to 7 Home Premium.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by jadinolf:

Thanks, Norman.

I don't see why not, if you use the Windows Activation Change Key, then enter the XP key.

Should add, as long as the Windows XP product is not, itself, an Upgrade.

One last comment: In my case, everything was Home Premium; not sure what would happen with a mismatch, such as XP Pro to 7 Home Premium.

OK

Thanks again.

What I described before is how my XP upgrade OS works but I guess there is no rule for Windows 7 upgrade.

I cannot believe that a retailer will sell this product without any idea as to how it works.

Many thanks all. I don't want to waste anyone else's time.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
I think the upgrade will be tied to the original key, in your instance XP, if it was an OEM version the upgrade would stay an OEM version.

As for the different flavors of Win 7, I don't think it matters, Win 7 disks have all versions tied to them, so the key would alert the install to what is required.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ws-7-faq

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by norwegian:

I think the upgrade will be tied to the original key, in your instance XP, if it was an OEM version the upgrade would stay an OEM version.

As for the different flavors of Win 7, I don't think it matters, Win 7 disks have all versions tied to them, so the key would alert the install to what is required.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ws-7-faq

Thanks, norwegian--very much. Now I know.

Norwegian here too--Olsen

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Sorry for misleading you - my name comes from ancestors, I've never lived there.

It wasn't the best name picked for a forum name, I've confused quite a few on it but no one to date has been insulted by my choice.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Olsen comes from my Great Grandfather Carl Oscar Olsen and he was born there.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

My family was a lot further back. You are closer to being a native than me.
We are getting off topic though.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

My family was a lot further back. You are closer to being a native than me.
We are getting off topic though.

You think?