uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3

IMac display.

Based on experience, where would be the best place to purchase a replacement display for an early 2006 17" iMac?
--
mbsastronomy.com

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Ebay

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
+1

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
based on experience with replacement display prices, you may as well buy a new pc

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
reply to TheHarvester
For laptops you have many, many choices.

For a desktop/all-in-one, not so much. The demand is astoundingly low because they do not break with anywhere near the frequency of laptops or cellphones. This means most vendors don't bother stocking, so most wholesalers don't bother either.

Your best bet is finding a used one, but these often suck. 2006 was a CCFL backlit display. Any display you buy will be using a seven year old fluorescent bulb to light it. It will look like someone opened the display and urinated inside of it unless you get very lucky.
--
Macbook Screen Repair

Macbook LCDs for sale.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

1 edit
reply to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

based on experience with replacement display prices, you may as well buy a new pc

+1
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to thender
said by thender:

Your best bet is finding a used one, but these often suck. 2006 was a CCFL backlit display. Any display you buy will be using a seven year old fluorescent bulb to light it. It will look like someone opened the display and urinated inside of it unless you get very lucky.

That's not completely accurate... they might be able to find a new LCD with new CCFL tubes in it.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Most vendors do not stock these panels due to low demand, and the few that do sell the panel for nearly the cost of a refurbished iMac.

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
You know that same panel is used across many different displays right? All you need is the part number off the back of the display.

There are also LCDs available that may not be the manufacturers LCD, but work great as a replacement. Hell, some of them are better than the original equipment. Apple has used LG and AUO panels for years. The panels are pretty easy to come by if you google it.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
CCFL panels in general are nearly impossible to come by new, and when you do, they're price gouged because of lack of availability. Virtually no one manufactures CCFL panels anymore.

Take the N156B3-L0B for example. This panel fits over 2000 different laptops produced from around 2008 to 2010. No one has it new... and when you rarely find it new, it's $150, which is 3x the price of a new LED 15.6" panel like the N156B6-L0B. It makes no financial sense, as the laptops this panel fit into have since depreciated in value to being worth no more than $150.

With older iMacs it is even worse because there is low demand. As iMacs do not see lots of movement, they are not often beat around enough for the panel to break. Because the panels do not break as often, there is lower demand, so they are stocked by even fewer vendors, which decreases price competition - allowing the few vendors that do have it new to charge whatever they want.

So now there are two barriers to finding a replacement panel. The first being that it is a CCFL panel that no one produces anymore - AUO, Chi Mei, Samsung, LG, Hannstar, Sharp, and the fact that even when it was new there was low demand to begin with.

If you find a place that sells a new CCFL panel to a 7 year old iMac, I am very happy from you. I just wouldn't expect it to be at a reasonable cost.
--
Macbook Screen Repair

Macbook LCDs for sale.

TheHarvester
Premium
Dana Point, CA
said by thender:

With older iMacs it is even worse because there is low demand. As iMacs do not see lots of movement, they are not often beat around enough for the panel to break. Because the panels do not break as often, there is lower demand,

The early 2006 imacs were known to have the displays go bad by getting different color vertical lines on the display, which mine is doing and getting worse. I have seen prices from $150.00 to $650.00.and for what I use it for, I would have no problem dropping $150.00 for a display . I would not spend $650.00 on an entire computer so I sure as heck won't spend that kind of money on a display.
--
mbsastronomy.com

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
said by TheHarvester:

The early 2006 imacs were known to have the displays go bad by getting different color vertical lines on the display, which mine is doing and getting worse. I have seen prices from $150.00 to $650.00.and for what I use it for, I would have no problem dropping $150.00 for a display . I would not spend $650.00 on an entire computer so I sure as heck won't spend that kind of money on a display.

Ditto for this Mid 2007 iMac.
I found some "used" displays on eBay starting for $150 with something like a 30 day warranty that might very well be as old as the one I was thinking of replacing. $150 is a good chuck of change if it only lasts 30 days.

I also found some "new" displays for $650. We can only guess how long those have been sitting on the shelves. For the same money I could buy a brand new Mac Mini and put the extra $100 towards a new display.

TheHarvester
Premium
Dana Point, CA
reply to TheHarvester
***Update***
I bought one of these.
»www.amazon.com/Apple-Mini-DVI-VG···i+to+vga

Mini DVI to VGA adapter, set the OS to mirror the primary display and it works like a charm. I just put a 17" flat screen in front of the iMac and it's all good.
--
mbsastronomy.com

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TheHarvester
said by TheHarvester:

said by thender:

With older iMacs it is even worse because there is low demand. As iMacs do not see lots of movement, they are not often beat around enough for the panel to break. Because the panels do not break as often, there is lower demand,

That's usually not the display panel, but some bad capacitors.

I bought a 2004 iMac G5 a few years ago for $20. (Yes, $20.) I brought it home, soldered in a few new caps, and gave it to my nephew. $30 total, by the time I bought 4 capacitors.