Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

deskjockey

join:2005-04-17
Charlotte, NC

1 edit

MagicJack has caved on 911 fees

It looks like MJ has caved on collecting 911 fees if sued.

»seekingalpha.com/article/1355931···oopholes

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

1 edit
The problem is that any new laws/rules in regard to the issues mentioned would have negative consequences for" our " VOIP providers as well.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to deskjockey
That article is simply some investor research service predicting that the FCC will force MJ to collect taxes in the future.

Nothing has yet changed.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to deskjockey
Thanks for link to the article.

I found the analysis by Copperfield Research to be fascinating.

quote:
This report will highlight:

1) Poof!! magicJack appears out of thin air - A reverse merger of YMax and a $19 million Israeli shell is how Borislow took magicJack public.

2) Accusations of Securities Fraud and false/misleading earnings

3) Playing by his own set of rules - Borislow created two Trusts that were used as vehicles to liquidate public equity in his former company.

4) Bi-Polar or just in-your-face stock manipulation? - We meticulously detail a range of attempts to manipulate magicJack's stock

5) Back in time: Tel-Save.com's market chicanery - We detail the amazing similarities between magicJack and Borislow's first company, Tel-Save.com.

6) Financial shenanigans, every shade of slimy - Beyond the misleading and promotional press releases, magicJack has used accounting gimmicks to create a myriad of unsustainable earnings.

7) Moving beyond shenanigans and into erroneous financial reporting - In our opinion magicJack has repeatedly released financial tables in press releases that overstate what is presented in quarterly SEC filings. We detail how the cash flow table presented to investors in the earnings press release overstated cash flow by 23% when compared to the statements filed with the SEC just one week later.

etc, etc, etc.

josephf

join:2009-04-26

1 edit
The $19 million Israeli company, Vocaltec, wasn't a shell. It is the pioneering VoIP service provider with the release of its Internet Phone in the mid-90's.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
reply to SCADAGeo
said by SCADAGeo:

Copperfield Research

That organization [itself] is basically an anonymous blog.

It has done attacks on various companies, causing severe sudden drops in their stock prices.

If you try to track down "Copperfield Research" you will find that this is quite difficult.

They say "magic Jack appears out of thin air" but one could just as easily say that of them.

-----

Consider a duel between Marshal Philippe Pétain and Vidkun Quisling.

Who would you root for?

-----

For criticism of "Copperfield Research" involvement with another company's stock price, see:

»cgfocuslist.com/?p=85

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to deskjockey
Those are valid points, and it did read as a hit piece.

The disclaimer even mentioned they owned shares, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shorted their positions.

Although posted anonymously as Copperfield Research, sometimes jewels may be found in anonymous posts.

deskjockey

join:2005-04-17
Charlotte, NC
I didn't shoot the messenger because I don't care how their MJ investment goes but focused on the valid point that MJ is setting a precedent of collecting fees when sued. Conversely Amazon has fought North Carolina for years as their suit slowly grinds through courts on collecting sales taxes. The question is if it is better to let the legislature take it over or the courts. Internet sales taxes are now pending in the US legislature because Amazon has dragged their case out for years and refused to cave to NC demands. While I suspect that Internet sales taxes violates the Commerce Clause, that will matter little.

Anyway, business people will find answers and Amazon could eventually move their facilities and 88,400 employees offshore and VOIP can move offshore or come up with other GV like structures.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
While my opinion about MJ is very clear ( read my review) this article is poor and I would not rate " Copperfield research" much higher than MJ. Short of a comprehensive regulatory overhaul I do not believe that there will be any changes in taxation of small VOIP providers any time soon. With sales taxes on internet sales it's different- I think that they are coming soon, certainly in our state.

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to deskjockey
said by deskjockey:

Anyway, business people will find answers

Accountants, lawyers, and lobbyist will also assist with solutions...

Dovid46

join:2011-04-04
reply to josephf
I will add that we are a clec in Cyprus and have purchased SS7 equipment from the Israeli company whose name is Vocaltec.

BangBang

join:2000-07-05
Fairview, NJ
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to deskjockey
Dear customer:

This is not a bill, but a choice for you as described below. If you decide you will not pay, you do not have to take any action.

Due to recent changes, magicJack will start to charge for 911 services for 911 capability. If you decide to continue to receive certain limited 911 calling privileges as described in our TOS, you will need to go to my.magicjack.com and fill out the necessary forms and give new debit/credit card information.

magicJack will not profit by collecting these pass through charges for the 911 authorities.

The charges will be billed annually by email and may cost anywhere from $6.00 to over $60.00 a year. On average throughout the country it will cost about $12.00 a year.

magicJack will provide limited exceptions for hardship cases for people who made a 911 call before July 1, 2013 and will post notification or email these certain customers later concerning the eligibility.

These unfortunate changes were made necessary because certain emergency 911 Districts in certain jurisdictions requested we attempt to bill on their behalf and benefit.

Dan

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7

System
reply to deskjockey
System Post
this topic has been closed

Reason: Duplicate of a more suitable topic