spc
uniqs
Bridge0
join:2013-04-20

Bridge0 to andyb

to andyb

Re: Windsor Ontario - No Data Cap ISP Options

said by andyb:

Because the CRTC demands it all be based on usage of the bandwith they have based pricing on that.Any place you go will eventually work out the same to the others in most circumstances

I'm not sure I totally follow your post but if you are saying CRTC requires all ISP's to use UBB and therefore, they are all going to be the same, I disagree. Consider the following:

Distributel - 12/2.0 - $47.95 - Unlimited
Teksavvy - 10/1.5 - $57.95 - Unlimited
Cogeco - 10/1.5 - $48.95 - 80 GB (LOL)

So, not really the same at all... Unless I'm totally misunderstanding your post

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

the word eventually seems to be in my post.And yes they are all CBB and that means more $ so they have to cut a bit of fat here and there to not go broke.All depends on how they view the long term
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by andyb:

the word eventually seems to be in my post.And yes they are all CBB and that means more $ so they have to cut a bit of fat here and there to not go broke.All depends on how they view the long term

They are not all CBB.

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

All are CBB unless they sign a contract with an incumbent
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by andyb:

All are CBB unless they sign a contract with an incumbent

Again, not everyone is CBB. For customers on our own network (thousands), we are not subject to CBB.

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

While I like your company and all then you are not covered by the CRTC demands because a couple thousand is no much on incumbent size.If you were you would be subject to those rulesYour also not a Major if at all transporter of data across Ontario unlike bell or rogers
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by andyb:

While I like your company and all then you are not covered by the CRTC demands because a couple thousand is no much on incumbent size.If you were you would be subject to those rulesYour also not a Major if at all transporter of data across Ontario unlike bell or rogers

We're not an incumbent. We operate as a CLEC in Bell and Bell Aliant territory. We are free to charge our customers whatever we want, and don't have to pay CBB to the incumbent, as the data traffic for those customers all flows on our own network.

The CRTC doesn't DEMAND Bell charges CBB. Bell ASKED the CRTC to be able to charge UBB. On appeal Bell was DENIED. They then ASKED to charge CBB, and proposed rates. Their rate proposals were appealed and REDUCED.

The CRTC simply regulated the amount Bell was PERMITTED to charge - they didn't DEMAND that they charge it.

You need to understand what happened. The CRTC is not forcing Bell or any of the other incumbents to charge CBB - they're simply permitting them to.

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Maybe your not reading right.I said you were not an incumbent.As for the CBB remarks well...if the CRTC throws ya some bones to get more money will you take it?
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by andyb:

Maybe your not reading right.I said you were not an incumbent.As for the CBB remarks well...if the CRTC throws ya some bones to get more money will you take it?

Maybe "your" not writing right.

The CRTC didn't throw Bell a bone. Bell asked for it, and they approved. There's a significant semantic difference between the two.

Regardless of our size, the CRTC will not tell us to charge CBB - it just doesn't work that way for a competitor. The only reason the CRTC has jurisdiction over the incumbent networks is exactly because they're the incumbent. They force the incumbent to share their network with competitors, and regulate the rates that happens at (presumably, Phase II cost + an allowed markup).

If we cook up a wholesale arrangement with a smaller ISP, we are free to structure that deal on whatever business terms we both agree to. It could be a CBB model, or a UBB model, etc. The CRTC doesn't care - we're not the incumbent. The smaller ISP has the option of going to the incumbent directly, so the CRTC doesn't need to regulate our rates.

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

.I also didnt say they threw a bone to bell I asked you if you would take it.They gave bell etc cart blanche to rip people off. Anyway Conversation over when grammar is brought in
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

The point is, you said everyone was subject to CBB when in fact that is not true, which I pointed out.

You then seemed to imply the reason we weren't subject to CBB is because we were too small, so we were somehow flying under the CRTC's radar.

The CRTC doesn't need to "throw us a bone" as we could charge CBB if we wanted to without approval from the CRTC, so your question isn't really valid. Obviously since we don't charge CBB to our wholesale customers, the answer is NO.

When communicating in a written forum, grammar is important. Quite convenient to invoke the "conversation over" position when the position you're taking is questioned.
Expand your moderator at work