uniqs
share rss forum feed

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

DSLX connection unstable?

I listen to a certain internet radio station, and when I have my routers connected to FIOS, I can leave them running overnight, and then just unmute my speakers, and they are still playing.

With my routers configured to use my 3Mbit/768Kbit DSLExtreme connection, the connection never seems to survive overnight. In fact, I've had the connection drop anywhere from 5-30 minutes after I start listening.

The Flash Player-based playback app doesn't even seem to know that it lost the connection, even, which is kind of weird. Just that no data seems to flow. If I disconnect the router, normally it shows "Buffering" on the screen, which generally doesn't go away unless I stop and restart the player. But when the connection goes out like I mentioned, it never says "Buffering". Just no audio.

Earlier tonight, I was on Skype with a few friends. One of them pays for "Premium", to allow for a multi-way video chat. I lost the conversation twice, once on my Netbook (wireless), and then after that, I was using my wired desktop, and I lost my connection on the wired machine too. In fact, the Network icon in Windows 7 got the yellow exclamation point on it, even on the wired desktop.

I checked the LEDs on the front of the DSL modem, and they all looked fine, lights were blinking on the back of the secondary router where the CAT5e/6 cables plugged in.

I have both FIOS and DSLX at this location, and a few days ago, I switched everything over from FIOS to DSLX, and now these problems.

The modem/router I am using is a Verizon-supplied Westell 327W modem/router/wireless gateway device. The same one that I had used for years, when I used to have Verizon dry-loop DSL, before I ordered FIOS, and then re-ordered DSL through DSLX.

If I could get my DSLX connection as stable as FIOS, then I might drop the FIOS. But the DSL connection is too unstable, so I'm keeping the FIOS for now.

Note that according to my router's logfiles, there is NO loss of either the PPPoE connection, nor the underlying DSL connection.

After the internet radio drops, there are router log entries referencing DNS lookup errors. Which suggests to me that DSLX's DNS servers are overloaded at times, or there is a DNS server in the round-robin group that is not properly resolving names.

I switched to OpenDNS (manually entered their DNS server IPs into my wired desktop's IPv4 DNS settings), thinking that would fix the problem of the internet radio cutting out (if it were due to DNS lookup errors, when grabbing the next buffer's worth of audio), but that hasn't seemed to have fixed the problem. (Haven't rebooted either, since I changed the DNS entries. Is that required?)

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
Time since last boot.... 0 days, 5 hrs: 29 mins: 33 secs

It's currently 5:04am.

My skype logs show I was added to a group call at 11:13pm last night (earlier tonight, before midnight), and again at 11:24, after I lost the call completely.

Looks like my modem/router may have actually rebooted somehow. I know I didn't manually cut the power. Perhaps the power adaptor is going bad.

That still doesn't explain the internet radio cutting out, but my internet still being available for web browsing, and not getting the yellow icon over the networking icon in Windows 7.

dslx_steve
Premium,VIP
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA
kudos:6
Off the top of my head it would seem that the router is failing but there's not enough data to properly diagnose. I would like to check the line quality and our connection logs. Unfortunately, I can't find your account with your username. Can you PM me and dslx_nick your account info?

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to VirtualLarry
PM Sent.

I should probably elaborate on my network config. It's slightly complex.

I've got my FIOS ActionTec rev F router, configured as 192.168.1.1.
I've also got my Verizon Westell 327W wireless modem/router gateway configured as 192.168.1.1 as well. Both routers are configured with DMZ or static NAT (respectively), to forward all unsolicited internet requests to 192.168.1.2.

Which is the static WAN address of my primary E2500 Tomato router. I have two more E2500 routers with Tomato, configured as wireless bridge, on the 5Ghz band.

The Tomato routers LAN IPs are 192.168.2.1, .2, .3. My PCs are all on 192.168.2.x.

When I want to swap my FIOS for DSL, I unplug the primary Tomato router, and plug it into either the FIOS or DSL modem, Tomato WAN to ISP router LAN.

So the Tomato router, and config, is IDENTICAL, between the FIOS and DSL. So that cannot be the problem, that I can see.

The fact that I lose connection to the internet radio, and indeed, to the internet itself, over a wired connection, eliminates wireless weirdness as the problem.

I do still have the config of a Hurricane Electric 6to4 tunnel gateway configured in the primary Tomato router, as I was experimenting with IPv6. Which only worked for my HTPC in the bedroom, as it was wired to the Tomato router when it was connected to the FIOS. I couldn't get IPv6 to pass over the wireless bridge.

However, I don't think that the tunnel is working over the DSL, as when I swapped routers around, the desktops wired to the routers show no IPv6 connectivity at test-ipv6.com .

It does seem peculiar that the logfiles indicated that my Westell 327W may have rebooted last night on its own. I will have to investigate that further.

Generally, though, when the internet radio cuts out, I still have internet for web browsing. Generally, I do NOT get the yellow exclaimation point over my network icon in Windows 7.

SAT APR 20 23:36:47 2013
PPP CONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35

SAT APR 20 23:36:44 2013
Connecting session(1): My Connection due to AlwaysOn

SAT APR 20 23:36:36 2013
US Atten: 25.0 DS Atten: 39.5

US Margin: 11.0 DS Margin: 17.0

US Tx Power: 11.9 DS Tx Power: 17.0

US DSL Rate: 864 kbits/sec DS DSL Rate: 3360 kbits/sec

WanMgr reports DSL is UP

SAT APR 20 23:36:16 2013
Model number: D90-327W15-06

Software version: VER:4.04.03.00

Product: VersaLink
Model: 4 Port Gateway

VirtualLarry
Premium
reply to VirtualLarry
Just after I posted that, the internet radio went out again, but there is nothing new in the logfile that would indicate any sort of issue. Still have HTTP connectivity to web sites.

dslx_steve
Premium,VIP
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA
kudos:6

1 edit
Odd. We don't differentiate between different types of traffic. The only port we block is 25 and port blocking would not explain intermittent issues. I show no errors or disconnects on our end. Line readings are good. Our radius shows only user disconnects yesterday at 8:20:49 PM and 8:36:42 PM. It's looking more and more like the Westell is the culprit.

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to VirtualLarry
(INTERNET RADIO ACTIVE)

C:\Users\Larry>netstat -f

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 192.168.2.112:58929 126.mtl-mg10.streamtheworld.net:http ESTABLISHE
D
TCP 192.168.2.112:58937 38.100.166.70:http TIME_WAIT

Active Connections

D
TCP 192.168.2.112:58941 a23-0-18-217.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com:http
ESTABLISHED

Active Connections

D

(INTERNET RADIO DIED)

Active Connections

D

C:\Users\Larry>tracert 126.mtl-mg10.streamtheworld.net

Tracing route to 126.mtl-mg10.streamtheworld.net [208.80.52.126]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.2.1
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms 10.9.93.1
4 24 ms 24 ms 23 ms ge-0-0-2-0.BOS-CORE-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81
.16.48]
5 65 ms 24 ms 23 ms so-3-1-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.2
0.86]
6 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms 0.xe-4-1-3.XT2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.20.241]
7 37 ms 34 ms 35 ms TenGigE0-7-4-0.GW8.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.21.133
]
8 32 ms 31 ms 32 ms tinet-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.72.122]
9 40 ms 40 ms 41 ms xe-1-3-0.mtl10.ip4.tinet.net [89.149.184.74]
10 63 ms 63 ms 63 ms stream-the-world-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.77.6]
11 64 ms 64 ms 63 ms 126.mtl-mg10.streamtheworld.net [208.80.52.126]

Trace complete.

Hey, what's with the 10.x.x.x Internet IP address? I thought that those were reserved? Is this CGN in action? Perhaps that's why my IPv6 6to4 tunnel isn't working over DSL.

I thought, per the other thread in this forum, that we wouldn't have to worry about CGN if we were on DSLExtreme? No?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

said by VirtualLarry:

Hey, what's with the 10.x.x.x Internet IP address? I thought that those were reserved? Is this CGN in action? Perhaps that's why my IPv6 6to4 tunnel isn't working over DSL.

I thought, per the other thread in this forum, that we wouldn't have to worry about CGN if we were on DSLExtreme? No?

Unknown by me, but if you are still on Verizon DSL (or FIOS) - I point to »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »What is the 10.4.3.1 IP?
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:18
reply to VirtualLarry

(topic move) DSLX connection unstable - Navean

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »DSLX connection unstable - Navean

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit
reply to VirtualLarry

Re: DSLX connection unstable?

I've got another datapoint. The internet radio playing on my HTPC has, as far as I can tell, stayed playing for three days now, on a Tomato router set as wireless bridge to the main Tomato router, chained to my DSL router.

That machine is Win7 64-bit, pretty clean install, using IE8 and flash player.

The machine that is cutting out, is also Win7 64-bit, fairly clean and fresh install, but wired to a gigabit switch, which is wired to the main Tomato router. Using Waterfox 18.01.

The main Tomato router, is still configured with a 6to4 tunnel with HE.net.

I haven't gotten IPv6 to work at all since switching the main Tomato router onto the DSL rather than the FIOS. But I wonder if my wired desktop is detecting some sort of IPv6 config, and tries to switch over, and it fails, and my connection drops.
Edit: Except, the connection doesn't actually drop, according to netstat.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
After thinking this over and re-reading everything you've posted so far, I have to agree with Steve: it sounds like the Westell may be failing. How old is it? Do you have another DSL modem you could try?

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to VirtualLarry
It doesn't make sense that the westell is failing, at least not completely, if my HTPC, which is connected to my 5Ghz bridge Tomato router, connected wirelessly to my main Tomato router, and then connected wired to the Westell, can keep an internet radio stream going for 3 days, while a desktop PC wired to a gigabit switch, then wired to the primary Tomato router, then wired to the westell, can't keep the stream going for more than an hour, sometimes it quits after a few minutes.

Or are you thinking RAM corruption in the Westell, causing it to lose NAT table entries?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Oh, I don't think it's failed completely; I'm just thinking it's on the way out, like a light bulb which has started flickering but still glows.

Three points of data:
The reboot on its own, which suggests a problem with the Westell...

The desktop PC wasn't having any trouble using the same switch+primaryTomato setup with the FIOS modem, but did with the Westell, which suggests a problem with the Westell...

The bridgeTomato+primaryTomato with HTPC is stable while switch+primaryTomato with desktop PC is not, which suggests a problem with the Westell or the switch or the desktop PC...

Three points of data which suggest the Westell as the common link, while only one point of data suggests it might be the switch. It's not 100% conclusive proof, but added to the previous incomplete data that the modem is old (but don't know *how* old), it certainly seems that the modem is the most likely candidate. If you'd like to test, you could try leaving the desktop PC connected directly to the Westell overnight, with the rest of your network bypassed, and see if the music's still playing in the morning.

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

4 edits
reply to VirtualLarry
I've got another datapoint. I had the Trendnet metal-cased Gigabit switch on the bottom, with the E2500 Tomato primary router stacked on top, with a D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit N router stacked on top of that.

Well, I discovered that the networking gear was HOT! Especially the switch. Which is kinda wierd, I wouldn't think I was moving nearly the traffic to cause it to heat up.

I disconnected and removed the DIR-655 off of the top. Then I moved the E2500 Tomato router over, and left the switch alone.

I'm guessing that the switch was overheating.

I don't think that the switch has ever really been "hot" before, so I don't know what's going on. It might be starting to go. I've had it since around 2006, I think. I have a few of its brothers in my closet, still in the box. Might bust one of those out and try replacing it.

Edit: Decided to replace the switch.

Btw, I had already swapped out the desktop PC for another one, leaving the network hardware in place, and the Internet radio stopping was still happening.

Edit: With the replaced (identical) brand-new gigabit switch, and even swapping desktop PCs, it's still cutting out. I'll try wiring the PC directly to the Westell.

Edit: Well, it cut out when plugged directly into the Westell. Which should prove it, right? But, there's the other data-point that the HTPC, connected to the bridge, connected wireless to the Tomato router, wired to the Westell, was able to keep the internet radio playing for three days straight. So if the problem was strictly the Westell, shouldn't it be showing up with the HTPC too?

Anyways, I tried changing out the ethernet cable, considering the possibility that the way that the cable was bent for so long might be causing a slight failure. Testing that now. (Not connected directly to the Westell again yet.)

Edit: Seems like it cut out again. I discovered something - at some point, I must have put OpenDNS DNS servers into the HTPC.

I remember when I was first trying to diagnose this issue, there were some "DNS: Unknown" errors for certain hosts showing up in the Westell's logs.

So I've put OpenDNS DNS servers into my desktop PC, and am testing.

If the problem turns out to be DSLX's DNS servers, what is the permanent fix? Not using DSLX's DNS servers at all?

Edit: Doing better than that. I've connected the HTPC to my FIOS connection, but I've punched in the DSLX DNS servers that the Westell was showing.

If the HTPC cuts out, it's definitive that DSLX's DNS servers are to blame.

If it survives until the morning, then I'll play around with seeing if I can punch in OpenDNS DNS servers into the Westell.

Edit: Doing a search for Westell 327W firmware, I came across a DSLR thread, and this link:
»www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···451.htm#
However, my Westell 327W ("J" Made in China) already has a newer firmware version installed.

Edit: Ok, it's the next morning.
The HTPC, wired to my FIOS ActionTec router, with DSLX DNS servers punched in, was still playing.
The desktop, which is wired to a gigabit switch (new cable), to the Tomato router, to the wired Westell 327W, with OpenDNS DNS servers, was no longer playing.

So to re-cap, the HTPC was on a 5Ghz bridge, to the Tomato router, and it held the music for three days, with OpenDNS DNS servers punched in to Windows.

When I reconfigured the HTPC to be wired to FIOS, and using DSLX's DNS servers, it also held the music overnight.

The desktop (which was swapped), the cable connecting the desktop (which was swapped with a new one), the gigabit switch (which was swapped with a new one), connected to the Tomato router wired to the Westell 327W, with OpenDNS DNS servers, still died.

I disabled all of the 6to4 tunnel stuff in Tomato and rebooted the Tomato router, so that can't be it either.

What I don't get is, if the problem is the Westell 327W, why wasn't it affecting the HTPC when it was connected over the 5Ghz bridge, to the Tomato router, through the Westell 327W, yet it affects a wired connection to that same Tomato router?

I should also note that one of the desktop machines has a RealTek gigabit NIC, and this one has an Intel gigabit NIC.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
This IS an interesting one.

"Edit: Well, it cut out when plugged directly into the Westell. Which should prove it, right? But, there's the other data-point that the HTPC, connected to the bridge, connected wireless to the Tomato router, wired to the Westell, was able to keep the internet radio playing for three days straight. So if the problem was strictly the Westell, shouldn't it be showing up with the HTPC too?"

Not necessarily. A flickering light bulb might be steady for one hour, and then flickering the next - doesn't mean it's any less a problem of the light bulb, just that the problem didn't surface at another time.

The fact that the problem DID occur with everything else bypassed means we can *presumably* strike off everything else, since removing the other elements didn't *prevent* the problem from happening. So, again, *presumably* the problem is not the switch nor Tomato router.

(I stress PRESUMABLY here because it IS possible there's more than one failure point; a car could have both a flat tire and an empty gas tank, after all. But for the moment, let's assume there's only one point of failure)

Now, you said you wired the PC directly to the Westell, and it still cut out. So that means the problem occurred because of one of the elements that WAS present: the computer, the Westell, or the outside equipment (the phone line and DSL equipment on our end).

You said that with one computer (the HTPC) the problem did not occur. That doesn't mean the problem IS the desktop PC - absence of evidence is not proof of innocence. The problem happened with a second desktop PC, too.

What I'd suggest doing is to connect both the HTPC and at least one of the desktop computers to the Westell, using the same setup (for example, both connected via ethernet cable to the same router), simultaneously. See if one survives while the other drops.
- if they both drop, that would suggest that the problem could be the Westell (since now even the HTPC is dropping)
- if the HTPC does not drop but the desktop PC does, that would suggest that the problem could be something to do with the desktop PC itself (since everything else is the exact same, unless you're using a bad ethernet cable or something)
- if neither drop, that doesn't confirm anything (other than that the problem is intermittent, perhaps).
- if the HTPC drops but the desktop PC does not drop, that would suggest something other than the computers (perhaps a bad ethernet cable after all).

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

4 edits
reply to VirtualLarry
Well, I picked up a different DSL modem tonight, from someone that moved into a FIOS location (FIOS installer was there today, I helped out a little bit). So they no longer needed their DSL modem.

When I get a moment, I'll try swapping the Westell for this one.

Edit: I've swapped the Westell 327W for a Westell 6100 (tiny square box, with ethernet and USB, no WiFi).

Reconfigured the desktop for auto DNS servers. Will reconfigure the HTPC too.

Edit: Well, this is interesting. The wired desktop stopped again. The HTPC connected via the 5Ghz bridge didn't stop yet. Both PCs were reconfigured for autoconfig IPv4/DNS. This is with the replacement Westell 6100 DSL modem in place.

So now I'm thinking that the problem is not the Westell (either one of them), nor my other networking gear, nor the switch, nor the ethernet cable. It's something common to the two desktop PCs, and not common to the HTPC.

So I'm thinking it was a bad Windows Update that is causing some sort of low-level issue here.

The reason that I suspect this, is a friend started having issues with his onboard sound on his motherboard cutting out on him, and other strangeness. We still haven't completely solved his issue.

The HTPC was installed with Windows 7 64-bit some months ago, but I never installed a proper product key (although I do own plenty of them, so it's legal). So after 30 days, the desktop went black, and it won't do Windows Updates. So I think that saved it.

Edit: I installed six updates in April, prior updates were in Feb. One of them was a definitions update for Windows Defender, and there were five security updates. I uninstalled all five security updates. Testing now.

Edit: Last night, I started playing the internet radio in IE8 on the desktop, after uninstalling the five security updates from April. I woke up and it was still playing. However, last night, I was playing it in Waterfox, and it cut out. When I was first diagnosing it with netstat, with the other desktop computer, I was doing some testing with IE8, and it still cut out. So IE8 isn't foolproof when it comes to the radio cutting out. But this is a good sign, I think.

Edit: Interesting. The HTPC stopped this afternoon with "Buffering". This is different than how the desktop dies. It just stops playing music, but the player app doesn't say "buffering", and a netstat reveals it still has a TCP connection to the streaming server (or at least the OS / TCP stack does).

Edit: I just checked the desktop, running internet radio in IE8. It too showed "buffering". So the connection dropped somehow, that affected both the HTPC and the desktop. This must have been a different kind of drop than I usually see on the desktop, where it simply cuts out, but hasn't detected that the connection has dropped.

CURRENT MODEM STATUS
DSL Modem Status....... Up
PPP Session Status...... Up
Connection Type......... PPPoE
Time set from............. Daylight Savings
Time since last boot.... 0 days, 0 hrs: 59 mins: 3 secs

(Edit: That was approx 2pm)
Interesting. It rebooted approx. an hour ago, and I know I didn't reboot it.

What is it with both of my DSL modems rebooting?

Again, that's still not the reason that the Internet radio on the desktop cuts out, because I don't lose internet altogether when that happens.

IE8 on desktop shows "buffering" again.
Time since last boot.... 0 days, 4 hrs: 43 mins: 40 secs
It's 5:47pm.

So it didn't reboot again. Wonder what's going on.
FRI MAY 03 16:22:38 2013
DNS: Truncated response

That was in the Westell 6100 logs.

Edit: Internet radio playing in Waterfox 18.01 on desktop PC died again overnight. With the Westell 6100 installed. No reboots showing in the router logs.

So far, I've swapped desktop PCs, my gigabit switch, my ethernet cable, my DSL modem, my web browser. What's next to swap?

Edit: I tried connecting my desktop PC directly to the Westell 6100, and left it playing. When I got back, it had stopped.

So either the problem is with DSLX (DNS, connection issues), or the problem is with the software loaded on my PC (Win7 64-bit SP1, Waterfox 18.01, flash player), or possibly, a bug in the Westell's OS, that happens to be common to both the 327W and the 6100.

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit
reply to VirtualLarry
I found this tidbit:

»DSL problems and Verizon gave up..

said by Elodean:

You know, I wonder if you're running into an old problem that's been around for years (at least, as of November 2011 when I dropped Verizon DSL). Take a look at these threads from 2011:

»Internet Stalls
»Slow Download Speeds- Westel 7500

I have a hard time believing that Verizon hasn't resolved the problem yet, but even back then, people claim that the same problem has been around for years. In these posts, we concluded that the Juniper ERX edge routers/aggregators on Verizon's end couldn't handle TCP RWIN greater than 9x MTU.

If you use a router, your machines will auto-configure the receive window (RWIN) to a high value. For example, the Windows networking stack will detect a fast connection because your connection to the router is fast. Then, Windows sets RWIN to 65536 even though Verizon can't handle more that 13068. As a result, incoming data gets lost, and the sender has to retransmit, causing delays.

Would this problem affect me? Do I need to tune RWIN on my Windows 7 desktops? I also have a gigabit LAN, and share files on my LAN, so I would think I would want a large RWIN for performance reasons, but I don't want to overload my DSL connection either.

You have to make the RWIN changes on all computers and devices (if possible) to work with Verizon. If you can't set the RWIN, you're out of luck until Verizon fixes the problem on their end. (Windows Vista and 7 don't let you set RWIN.)

Hmm, all of my machines are Windows 7 now. So I can't change RWIN? Am I screwed?

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

4 edits
reply to VirtualLarry
I've virtually given up here. There's no much left to troubleshoot. In order to rule out a software configuration on the desktop, I've reconfigured my LAN to be hooked to my FIOS.

So I've got my ActionTec router connected to the ONT via coax. I've got the primary Tomato E2500 router connected (WAN) to the ActionTec (LAN), and my secondary (5Ghz Bridge mode) Tomato router connected to my gigabit switch (LAN to LAN).

I remember though, when I was connection to my FIOS, I used to see plugin-container.exe (part of Waterfox's plugin isolation) grow to nearly 2GB of RAM usage (flash player memory leak), because it kept playing for weeks on end until I restarted it or exited the browser. In other words, on FIOS, it just kept running.

Edit: Curiouser and curiouser. I started the internet radio, went out for a while, and when I had come back, it was stopped.

So either it's something with the PC, although it did it with both of them, or perhaps it's something new from the site? Maybe they are sweeping for duplicate IPs, and disconnecting one of them? If that were true, though, it seems strangely coincidental that it started when I switched my LAN over to DSLX.

Edit: Desktop PC internet radio died again in Waterfox 18.01, while connected to FIOS via 5Ghz Tomato bridge. Haven't noticed any issues with the HTPC.

So now it looks like the issue isn't DSLX service, nor my DSL modems. Possibly my bridge config, although, in swapping from DSLX to FIOS, I have to physically swap the main Tomato router and the bridge. Yet, the problem seems to be with the desktop PC, and not the HTPC, so it doesn't follow the Tomato router(s).

So possibly a bad flash player update? The flash applet doesn't crash, however, it keeps responding. I'm going to see if I can uninstall flash player, and re-install it.

These are my uninstall entries for flash player (desktop G630 PC):
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX Adobe Systems Incorporated 1/2/2013 6.00MB 11.5.502.135
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin Adobe Systems Incorporated 4/15/2013 6.00MB 11.7.700.169

On my HTPC:
ActiveX 11.6.602.180

Edit: I went to:
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/···velopers
And downloaded Flash Player 11.6.602.180 , installed the plugin, started the radio, came back, and it had stopped again. Arg.

At this point, I'm just really confused. I guess I should go back to my Windows Updates theory?

Edit: I've plugged the desktop directly in the Tomato bridge router's LAN port, and unplugged the switch and other cable.

As far as hardware changes, I've recently replaced my brother MFC printer with a newer model, and I've added a Seagate GoFlex Home 3TB NAS drive with gigabit ethernet, which I've plugged into the switch. It has some "cloud" features, so it probably maintains an internet connection. If the printer or GoFlex drive is interfering somehow with the gigabit switch (brand-new switch), then this should solve that.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
said by VirtualLarry:

I've virtually given up here.

Heh, no pun intended?

In all seriousness, though, I've been mentally chewing over everything here...

The HTPC system is Win7 64-bit, you said. The first desktop PC which was cutting out, also Win7 64-bit. So I think we can rule out the OS/RWIN settings. You had tried uninstalling the SP1 & updates, if I'm reading you right - uninstalling an update isn't *exactly* like never having installed the update in the first place, but should be functionally 'close enough' for our purposes.

Desktop dies on FIOS connection. So we can rule out it being something DSLX vs. FIOS -specific.

The one time IE8 died, it died for both computers, in a way different than it usually dies - I'm suspecting maybe the modem just lost sync there, which would disconnect everything anyways. So I'd try testing a bit longer with IE8 on both systems, see if it dies on either/both/neither. If it's holding steady with IE8 but Waterfox is failing on one system, that would suggest a problem with Waterfox and/or its plugins. You mentioned you were going to try reinstalling, so let me know how that test goes.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Are you using different versions of Waterfox on the two systems? Is the plugin-container.exe still indicating a memory leak?

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

4 edits
reply to dslx_nick
said by dslx_nick:

You had tried uninstalling the SP1 & updates, if I'm reading you right - uninstalling an update isn't *exactly* like never having installed the update in the first place, but should be functionally 'close enough' for our purposes.

I didn't uninstall all updates and SP1. I installed it with an integrated SP1. I only uninstalled the five security updates that I did in April. The previous updates were done in Feb. I left all of those installed, since I wasn't having the issue then.

Desktop dies on FIOS connection. So we can rule out it being something DSLX vs. FIOS -specific.

I'm afraid so.

The one time IE8 died, it died for both computers, in a way different than it usually dies - I'm suspecting maybe the modem just lost sync there, which would disconnect everything anyways. So I'd try testing a bit longer with IE8 on both systems, see if it dies on either/both/neither. If it's holding steady with IE8 but Waterfox is failing on one system, that would suggest a problem with Waterfox and/or its plugins. You mentioned you were going to try reinstalling, so let me know how that test goes.

I had both IE8 and Waterfox 18.01 on the desktop both playing the internet radio (muted so it didn't sound weird). I stopped that test to shut down Waterfox, and install the prior Flash Player plugin version. Maybe I should try that again, and see if they both stop, or just Waterfox.

Edit: I had both IE8 and Waterfox 18.01 (latest Waterfox, lags behind official Firefox versions by a bit) playing the internet radio. Waterfox stopped, IE8 is still going. Going to see if it dies. (Edit: This is with the desktop G630 PC plugged directly into a LAN port on the Tomato 5Ghz bridge router.)

Edit: After Waterfox stopped, I exited Waterfox, and re-installed, flashplayer11_5r502_135_win, which matches most closely with the ActiveX (IE8) control already installed on this box. Which was most likely the version on here originally, when I first installed it. I then restarted Waterfox, and then the internet radio.

Well, as I was posting to this thread, and the clock turned exactly 6pm on my desktop, it cut out again. But only the Waterfox one, not the IE8 one.

Ok, again at exactly 6:30pm, the Waterfox cut out again. IE8 is still going for the last few hours.

Trying to figure this one out. Is it time-related? Duplicate IP address killing script on the server? If so, why isn't the IE8 affected?

Edit: I tried killing all of my cookies, in case my unique-id is blacklisted. Interestingly, going straight to the player page, doesn't try to set a cookie.

Edit: Waterfox 18.01 didn't stop at 7pm sharp. Weird.
Edit: Just moments after posting this, it cut out at 7:06pm. On Waterfox, not IE8.

Edit: I just went into the add-ons screen in Waterfox, and it is showing the Shockwave Flash plugin twice, once with the newest version, and one with the one I just installed. Sigh. Guess I should disable the newest one. (There's no "uninstall" on that page, simply, "disable".)

Two plugins in Waterfox 18.01 on the desktop PC:
Shockwave Flash 11.5.502.135 (ENABLED)
Shockwave Flash 11.7.700.169 (disabled)

So far, so good. I left it running for several hours, and it hasn't died (neither IE8, which has been running all morning and night, or Waterfox, which has been playing from ~7:30pm until now, which is ~10:30pm). (On FIOS connection.)

Edit: Decided to connect my LAN to the Westell 327W again. So far so good, but the guys called me on Skype, and while on Skype, my DSL modem has spontaneously rebooted twice so far.

I looked at the power adaptor, 12V, 1A, center positive. I have a supply of Netgear power adaptors with identical specs, so I swapped one in. Testing it more now.

Edit: It didn't reboot any more with Skype, that was a good sign.

Going to start the internet radio in Waterfox 18.01, on the G630 desktop PC, and leave it overnight.

Edit: Got up this morning, and it was still playing. (Desktop, connected to DSLX.) I hope that this has solved the problem (downgrading Flash Player).

Edit: Took a nap for a few hours, and it was still playing. Yay!

I think that this might be fixed now.

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to VirtualLarry
Seems fixed to me. Both installing an older version of Flash Player, and swapping the power supply for my DSL modem. Connection is now stable.

My apologies for assuming that the problem was somehow with DSLX. It just seemed strange that it seemed to happen when I swapped my FIOS for DSLX, but I guess I must have rebooted my machines, and let Flash Player update around the same time.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
No problem; it's a perfectly logical thing to suspect, given the coincidence. Just glad it's all sorted out and working now