spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Should I upgrade from Cat5e to Cat6???

My Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 is connected to my Belkin AC 750 DB Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC+ Router using the 350MHz Cat5e cable that came with the router.

I have Comcast 50Mbps/10Mbps broadband cable connection.

My computer plugs directly into the router using a 20 footer 1000MHz Cat7 Ethernet

My Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player hooked to my 1080p TV hooked in to my router wireless 2.4GHz 54Mbps 802.11g.

I am how ever using 3 other Netgear Powerline AV 200 adapters one being in my bedroom hooked into my router, second one hooked in mamas bedroom to her computer that is never on anymore just taking up space, and the third one hooked in the living room for the use of Netflix, Hulu Plus only. All the Netgear Powerline AV 200 adapters are using 350MHz Cat5e Ethernet.

My question is show I upgrade that 350MHz Cat5e Ethernet cord to Cat6 or just keep using Cat5e??? I do however have a 6 footer 500MHz Cat6 Ethernet cord and if you folk's say I should be using it I'll switch over to it.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

1 recommendation

jimbopalmer

The only 'improvement' that correctly functioning Cat 6 has over correctly functioning Cat 5e is the ability to carry 10 gigabit ethernet over 55 meters.

If you are not using 10 gig ethernet, there is no improvement.

Now if the question was should I replace old, damaged, hand made Cat 5e with new professionally made Cat 6 from a reputable source, I say yes.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

While I have most of the house wired with 6, there is one run that needed to go outdoors so it's going over an outdoor rated 5e. No difference at the gigabit level. Until 10 gig adapters/switches become more readily available, I wouldn't be tearing into the walls just yet. If you need some extra patch cables, you might as well order a bunch from Monoprice, but I wouldn't be actively working on replacing them. If you are ordering, make sure you have a couple of spares of every length you're using.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to floydb1982

to floydb1982
go for Cat7 all the way....

I'm not quite understanding where are you getting all these ideas about stuff that you think will make your internet faster, better etc...

maybe it's those Christmas lights...
Expand your moderator at work

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982

Re: Should I upgrade from Cat5e to Cat6???

Its a reasonable question to ask. My opinion is no need unless your having issues and wish to buy replacment. Even then, I would go for the one that is signficantly cheaper. Most house are too difficult to rewire after the fact unless wired within tubing which can get very expensive but certainly more future proof.

I have cat5e and have no intention of upgrading to Cat 6 or Cat 7. I am waiting for cat O 9 tails.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Anav:

I have cat5e and have no intention of upgrading to Cat 6 or Cat 7. I am waiting for cat O 9 tails.

Yeah, today's home electronics are barely getting up to the level of being able to take advantage of GigE, so unless it's a new install, I wouldn't bother either.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
I'm with the "if it's a new build / cable run, get Cat6" crowd.

Otherwise, both Cat5e and Cat6 are equally capable of GigE speeds equally.

Regards
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Short answer: No
Long answer: Nope

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Also more newer devices are now skipping on the Gigibit Ethernet and are only including 100 Mbps Ethernet. I do say though that if you already have Cat5e cable in your house then you should stick with that. If however you are going to wire your house for the first time then you should use Cat6 since you will be future-proofing yourself and Cat6 cables work fine with 100 Mbps Ethernet.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to floydb1982

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

My question is show I upgrade that 350MHz Cat5e Ethernet cord to Cat6 or just keep using Cat5e???

no, just continue to use existing cable. cat5 will do everything you need, let alone cat5E or higher

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
OP: your preoccupation with the MHz ratings seems you've bought into the marketing hype. Cat 5e supports gigabit speed, whether it says "350 MHz" or not.

Here's a good, objective write-up:
»www.directron.com/cableg ··· ide.html
(See the Huh? section under Note 1.)

The bottom line is you aren't going to be pushing 10Gb through your network any time soon, so paying extra for all these specs is most likely a waste of money.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
I agree with what others say here. I ran Cat5e through my entire house and it does gigabit very nicely. I recommend you don't invest in Cat6 right now. You won't see an improvement. Save your money.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Wily_One

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

OP: your preoccupation with the MHz ratings seems you've bought into the marketing hype. Cat 5e supports gigabit speed, whether it says "350 MHz" or not.

he's on a quest to have the fastest internet inside his house using all the latest technology he could buy...