Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to JAH_PGH

to JAH_PGH

Re: TiVo confusion

said by JAH_PGH:

said by More Fiber:

said by JAH_PGH:

I don't need the wireless adapters. Instead, I need the MoCA adapters which will allow the TV signal and network connectivity to run through a single COAX cable (to each TiVo). This will allow the TiVo's to share content with each other and also receive the TiVo updates and guide data etc.
Correct?

Correct.

Wait - I'll need 3 adapters according to this:
»www.tivo.com/mytivo/howt ··· oca.html
1 for the router and 1 for each TiVo

Makes sense for a cable provider but yeah like they said if your router already is creating the MoCA network then you just need to adapters on the TiVo side (if they don't have it built in)

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by HenryFarpolo:

A little less expensive option is to use MOCA by using an actiontec router as a network bridge. You can find Actiontecs on eBay for less than the G adapters. I am using this setup for a S3 TIVO. There a number of posts that tell you how to set it up. Here is one:

»How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge

I repeat...With two inexpensive Actiontec routers from eBay you can accomplish what you are looking to do!!

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I looked into this and came across some used Actiontec ECB2500C adapters. They any good?

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I looked into this and came across some used Actiontec ECB2500C adapters. They any good?

I never used an adapter. Compare the price with the used Actiontec routers. I bet the Actiontec router is a less expensive alternative to accomplish the same thing.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Found a used Actiontec router and a used Actiontec adapter on ebay, both for 40 bucks so it's a tossup.
JAH_PGH
join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH to HenryFarpolo

to HenryFarpolo
So, to clarify - I would need to purchase (2) Actiontec routers (eBay) and connect each one to my TiVo's in place of the MoCA adapter? Also, I read where, each time the power goes out, I need to re-program them. Is that true too?

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

What do you mean by "in place of a MOCA adapter". If you mean instead of a MOCA adapter the answer is yes, one for each unless you have a Premiere 4 which is MOCA capable.

Once you set up the router, you do NOT have to re-program after a power failure.
JAH_PGH
join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH

I meant that, instead of buying the MOCA adapter from TiVo, I would use 2 Actiontec routers...

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Actiontec routers will work just fine in place of MOCA adapters.
Just follow the instructions in part 2 of the following FAQ to set up.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to JAH_PGH

to JAH_PGH
»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· /kw/moca

All the 4 tuners are moca capable, so you won't need an external adapter, assuming that is what you have.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by elefante72:

»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· /kw/moca

All the 4 tuners are moca capable, so you won't need an external adapter, assuming that is what you have.

The OP does not have a Premiere 4 or XL4. The OP has two Premiere XL's. That is the reason for this thread.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to elefante72

to elefante72
Just placed an order with TiVo today for three Actiontec adapters. Discovered if you call them on the phone, they have a 2 pack for $89.99 which is cheaper then ordering them separately at $49.99 each (which would come out to $99.98)
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

Now I have a tiny question. Does a MoCA filter need to be connected to a cable modem if the cable modem has a MoCA filter built in? I'm using a Motorola SB6121 which says "includes an internal filter to eliminate potential interference from MoCA signals’ intermodulation beats" Would I just need to put a MoCA filter at the point of entry, ie either after the demarc outside or before the first splitter inside?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Are you in an apartment with a shared MDU ONT or do you have your own ONT?

If you are in an apartment with a shared MDU ONT, the VZ installer should have installed a POE filter.

If you're in a SFU with your own ONT, then no POE filter is needed. Your coax is private from the ONT.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Currently in a single family ranch serviced by a cable provider. I doubt that I would have a problem with MoCA bleeding out, but it can't hurt either right? Now the only other thing I need to figure out is if I should setup encryption.

In a few months I'll be moving out of state into an apartment which is also serviced by the same cable provider. I don't know if the other residents would be using MoCA as well.

Thoughts?
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

I noticed something in that TiVo video I posted. Is that Sean Hayes in the red polo at 4:18?