More Fiber to JAH_PGH

MVM

to JAH_PGH

Re: TiVo confusion

Tivo lists 3 models.
•Premier
•Premier 4
•Premier XL4

I see no Premier XL listed on the Tivo site. That doesn't mean they did sell a Premier XL at one point, just that it's not currently listed on their site.

For the boxes listed, the CSR is correct, the Premier XL4 supports MOCA. The others do not. So if what you have is not the XL4, then you need either a wireless adapter or a MOCA adapter.

I strongly recommend going with the MOCA adapter over a wireless adapter. Much more reliable for video streaming. Tivo has the Actiontec MOCA adapters for $49. Best price around.
JAH_PGH
join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH

I checked the model number of my units and ran a google search - they are in fact the Premiere (TCD746320), 320 GB hard drive (45 hours of HD recording). The Premiere XL is the same unit but has a 1 TB drive (150 hours of HD).
»www.tivopedia.com/model- ··· 6320.php
»www.tivopedia.com/model- ··· 8000.php

By streaming, I'm guessing that you mean NetFlix, Amazon Instant Video etc. If that's the case, I don't do any of that, so I wouldn't need the MOCA adapter and the wireless would be sufficient(?)
BTW, Amazon has the wireless G adapters for $32 each

Thank you for the quick responses!
JAH

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

A little less expensive option is to use MOCA by using an actiontec router as a network bridge. You can find Actiontecs on eBay for less than the G adapters. I am using this setup for a S3 TIVO. There a number of posts that tell you how to set it up. Here is one:

»How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to More Fiber

to More Fiber
The Premiere XL is the same as the Premiere itself, requiring an adapter to take the MoCA signal from the coax and put it into an Ethernet port. The XL4 supports it natively.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by HenryFarpolo:

A little less expensive option is to use MOCA by using an actiontec router as a network bridge. You can find Actiontecs on eBay for less than the G adapters. I am using this setup for a S3 TIVO. There a number of posts that tell you how to set it up. Here is one:

»How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge

I repeat...With two inexpensive Actiontec routers from eBay you can accomplish what you are looking to do!!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I looked into this and came across some used Actiontec ECB2500C adapters. They any good?

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I looked into this and came across some used Actiontec ECB2500C adapters. They any good?

I never used an adapter. Compare the price with the used Actiontec routers. I bet the Actiontec router is a less expensive alternative to accomplish the same thing.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Found a used Actiontec router and a used Actiontec adapter on ebay, both for 40 bucks so it's a tossup.
JAH_PGH
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH to HenryFarpolo

to HenryFarpolo
So, to clarify - I would need to purchase (2) Actiontec routers (eBay) and connect each one to my TiVo's in place of the MoCA adapter? Also, I read where, each time the power goes out, I need to re-program them. Is that true too?

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

What do you mean by "in place of a MOCA adapter". If you mean instead of a MOCA adapter the answer is yes, one for each unless you have a Premiere 4 which is MOCA capable.

Once you set up the router, you do NOT have to re-program after a power failure.
JAH_PGH
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH

I meant that, instead of buying the MOCA adapter from TiVo, I would use 2 Actiontec routers...

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Actiontec routers will work just fine in place of MOCA adapters.
Just follow the instructions in part 2 of the following FAQ to set up.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?