Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to art22gg

Re: SpyWareBlaster article on Wilders...Mysterious Reg.entries..

said by art22gg:

Saw this post re:mysterious reg.entries and checked my machine,Win XP 32 bit,and I have the same entries as noted by the original poster...

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre···t=345574.

Now I,m wondering what they are,and if they could be malicious??

Anyone else seeing this,or know what they are...

why not just ask javakool directly?.........seems simple enough
hayc59..........whaz up w asking javakool? he'd know

scratch that.......i reached out javakool........myself.....gettin' old i guess.....we'll see what the engineer has 2say.......and solve this mystery...........i4 got.......hez also a mod at BrightFort.....

»www.brightfort.com/

--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

javacool See Profile is the major developer of SWB and others.
He will reply if there is an issue. Though it's likely an CLSID entry.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth

1 recommendation

yes...............he will

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 recommendation

said by Phoenix22:

Thanks Phoenix!! Makes perrrfect sense to
have him respond

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

javacool See Profile is the major developer of SWB and others.
He will reply if there is an issue. Though it's likely an CLSID entry.

I too have that tree in the registry with randomized keys that are weird looking. (Windows 8 64bit).

But I am not worried either. I was one of the original beta testers of Spyware Blaster many years ago. javacool See Profile was very active then right here in this very forum and Spyware Blaster was developed with the help of many of us old-timers in this forum. This was long before javacool See Profile got his forum hosted at Wilders. I cannot fathom that there could be anything "sinister" about those keys.

As for Kaspersky grumbling about Spyware Blaster, Avira does the same and so do many other AV including Bitdefender. These AV vendors are lazy and don't want to have to work out any potential conflicts so they take the easy way out and intimidate the new user into removing programs like Spyware Blaster. I had Bitdefender tell me once that the BSOD I was getting on boot on XP Pro was caused by Spyware Blaster when Windows debugger clearly showed Bitdefender driver to be the culprit. Even after I sent the evidence to Bitdefender (and pointed out that googling revealed a long history of problems with their driver), I was told that I must remove Spyware Blaster and Spybot (I was not using teatimer) and prove to them I had removed these before they would help me further. Needless to say, I removed Bitdefender instead.

As for javacool See Profile not responding immediately well, gee, he has a life too doesn't he? Be a bit patient.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

said by Mele20:

Bitdefender told me once that the BSOD I was getting was caused by Spyware Blaster when Windows debugger clearly showed that the Bitdefender driver was the culprit

i don't think that you always can go by what the windows debugger says.. one time, an update for the emsisoft program caused problems, on my computer, but the debugger showed the driver from another progam as crashing..

when i sent the DMP file to emsisoft, they said that it showed that the other program was the problem, but i knew that it was the update for the emsisoft program that caused the problem.. a future update for the emsisoft program corrected the problem..

Even after I sent the evidence to Bitdefender, I was told that I must remove Spyware Blaster and Spybot

yep.. i have been there.. i tried using bitdefender, years ago, and had "minor" problems with it, and bitdefender said that i must remove every other security-program that i had installed, in order to resolve the problem.. i don't think that any other programs that i was using were causing the problem with bitdefender..

however, the people that i dealt with at bitdefender were nice..

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by redwolfe_98:

said by Mele20:

Bitdefender told me once that the BSOD I was getting was caused by Spyware Blaster when Windows debugger clearly showed that the Bitdefender driver was the culprit

i don't think that you always can go by what the windows debugger says.. one time, an update for the emsisoft program caused problems, on my computer, but the debugger showed the driver from another progam as crashing..

when i sent the DMP file to emsisoft, they said that it showed that the other program was the problem, but i knew that it was the update for the emsisoft program that caused the problem.. a future update for the emsisoft program corrected the problem..

Even after I sent the evidence to Bitdefender, I was told that I must remove Spyware Blaster and Spybot

yep.. i have been there.. i tried using bitdefender, years ago, and had "minor" problems with it, and bitdefender said that i must remove every other security-program that i had installed, in order to resolve the problem.. i don't think that any other programs that i was using were causing the problem with bitdefender..

however, the people that i dealt with at bitdefender were nice..

i don't know anything about bitdefender.........what i do know ........personally........are the guys that designed the aforementioned products............i have used them as far back as w98se................they build stand up software.......even WCB will attest 2that
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to art22gg

javacool See Profile answer at Wilders:

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···count=16

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

i read javacool's "answer".. he didn't say anything about the specific regkeys in question, so, in my opinion, it really wasn't an answer..

i don't know if the regkeys-in-question have anything to do with "spywareblaster", or not..

i noticed that the newest version of spywareblaster adds a new regkey, "HKCU\Software\The Silicon Realms Toolworks\Armadillo", and a new "licenses" folder, at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Licenses", with a "LIC" file in it..

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to hayc59

said by hayc59:

said by Phoenix22:

Thanks Phoenix!! Makes perrrfect sense to
have him respond

from........JKOOL
Hi,

Please see the answers below.

1.) Registry keys with encrypted data.

SpywareBlaster utilizes a number of methods to try to protect itself against malware and other unwanted software (for example, to try to protect against or detect being malicious modified). A few bits are stored outside of the program as part of this self-protection process, and the location may differ. As always, modifying the registry is recommended only for advanced users, and there's no advantage to removing registry entries like these. They are there to help. (Also, keep in mind that several other security products do similar things to store self-protection or other important bits of data. Before making any manual changes to your registry, it is important to make a backup.)

2.) Windows explorer tries to connect to the Internet?

This really has nothing to do with SpywareBlaster. There are several common reasons that Windows Explorer may try to connect to the Internet. What you are likely seeing is Windows Explorer is trying to verify the digital signature on one or more executable files (perhaps SpywareBlaster's executables, although most other legit programs are digitally signed and the same process occurs). As part of this process, Windows Explorer may connect to the Internet to try to request a CRL, or Certificate Revocation List. If you are interested in more details about how this works, please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revocation_list

3.) I delete a registry key in one hive, and it seems to disappear from other registry hives?

This also has nothing to do with SpywareBlaster. You may be interested in looking more into the structure of the Windows Registry to see why this can happen with all kinds of registry keys. Some of the "hives" that you see do, in fact, contain links to data in other parts of the registry. In some ways, it may be easier to think of them as "views", where some of the data can be seen in different "branches" of the registry, but is actually stored in one place.

For example, on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT:

Quote:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (HKCR) Abbreviated HKCR
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT contains information about registered applications, such as file associations and OLE Object Class IDs, tying them to the applications used to handle these items. On Windows 2000 and above, HKCR is a compilation of user-based HKCU\Software\Classes and machine-based HKLM\Software\Classes. If a given value exists in both of the subkeys above, the one in HKCU\Software\Classes takes precedence. [...]

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry

4.) Kaspersky installer asks you to uninstall SpywareBlaster

This is unfortunately an all-too-common technique that other security software companies use. They rightfully like to notify you that it's not a good idea to run multiple "active"/"resident" security products at the same time. However, they tend to lump all other security products in the same category.

SpywareBlaster is built to work alongside other security software, and be part of a solid multi-layered security setup. Kaspersky's installer is wrong to lump it with other "resident" security suites (which it is not), and we have in fact tested the two products together and they work fine. (Even though it's built to work alongside, we still do the testing to be sure.)

5.) "I was under they assumption that all SpywareBlaster did was populated your browser restricted web site listing."

SpywareBlaster does quite a bit more. For example, on Google Chrome, SpywareBlaster can block malicious/potentially unwanted/annoying Javascripts, and potentially unwanted / ad / tracking cookies. All of this is, of course, entirely configurable and customizable.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

-Javacool

*Official BrightFort Website*
*SpywareBlaster*

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=345574
--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to Phoenix22

javacool See Profile wrote:

I hope this helps.

I think it has.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Phoenix22

said by Phoenix22:

from........JKOOL
Hi,

Please see the answers below.

4.) Kaspersky installer asks you to uninstall SpywareBlaster

This is unfortunately an all-too-common technique that other security software companies use. They rightfully like to notify you that it's not a good idea to run multiple "active"/"resident" security products at the same time. However, they tend to lump all other security products in the same category.

SpywareBlaster is built to work alongside other security software, and be part of a solid multi-layered security setup. Kaspersky's installer is wrong to lump it with other "resident" security suites (which it is not), and we have in fact tested the two products together and they work fine. (Even though it's built to work alongside, we still do the testing to be sure.)

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

-Javacool

*Official BrightFort Website*
*SpywareBlaster*

On this note, yes they do alert to uninstalling the software and if anyone is not knowledgeable and is a general user, it is best practice to allow a security suite to look after your computer; than actually mix and match with licorice all sorts for security if you do not know what you are doing.
For those that know what Spyware Blaster actually does, I do not think it is of concern when it is installed or uninstalled.

The practice is to install Kaspersky and then install other software you like, but, and a big but, allow it to be trusted enough in Kaspersky's application rules to allow them both permissions on the O/S they need.

It is also best practice to remove the immunization before uninstalling Spyware Blaster, but most general users do not know or understand this, those with a little more training do.

Let's not try to split hairs on the subject and evaluate each on it's merit.
I bet no software company wants a million support tickets with "I don't know what happened" type questions.
The forums for software generally are full of good advice we hope; so any queries from inquisitive minds will be answered and we move forward, learning as we go.

/2 cents
---------------------

As for those registry keys they are not on my Win 7 install without Spyware Blaster but happy to test, as I love the product and use it quite a lot, I've not got around to installing it on this O/S install yet.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke